asat sticker??

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi folks, I'm quite new here. I got my 1st asat last week. A 1987 model I believe. I was wondering about the G&L sticker on the neck plate... havent seen many in other pics... any info?
cheers
john
http://s1020.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... /asat2.jpg

Re: asat sticker??

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:21 am

All of the early Asats (and other models) came with that little gold sticker. Leave it on. While it may seem insignificant, most of the G&L collectors like to see it.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:36 am

In addition a little story background on that sticker. All but one of the numbers listed are patents owned by Leo (4002994, 4046050, 4319510) or George (3678795). The last one (256804) is a design document submitted with the patent bureau and technically needs to be prefixed with a 'D' (as in D256804). But one of the most amusing things is the misprint of US patent 4319510 by omitting the last '1' :!: :?: Never ever got fixed before they stopped using the sticker (at least as far as I know). Then again, that might have been the exact reason why they stopped using the sticker.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:54 am

+1 to leaving the sticker alone. Some of my guitars have them, some don't. However, it does add just a little bit to bolster the impression that previous owner(s) appreciated a guitar's original state.

BTW: Being that an omission on the sticker was mentioned, I figured that I'd post this G&L blooper. While I'm not the type of guy that gives people grief over spelling errors on internet posts, as so many of those are just pure typos made in haste, when professionals do it, it's another story. Check out this G&L ad that someone was selling on Ebay a few months ago. As evidence of poor proofreading, it is "unparalled". It looks like the ASAT has the "by Leo Fender" sticker on the headstock, indicating that the as was from around 1988 or so. I guess it was going around back then. :confused0007: