NGD: ASAT Heaven!

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:12 pm

I feel very lucky/fortunate to have stumbled across this beauty. Hope you all enjoy the pictures.

It is a 1987 ASAT. The 2-piece body is all maple, with a natural finish. (There are not too many of these around. Most 80s maple bodies had a solid finish). The serial number suggests it is an '86, but I learned from a little bird that it is listed as from April '87 in the G&L logs. It is also listed as "special", which was entered in the logs when the wood had a particularly nice grain pattern (as this one does). The guitar was accompanied with a letter from Fred Newell, who owned the guitar previously. He said that he had used it occasionally on the Nashville Now show. So, this guitar is also a piece of history.

As far as playing, it feels perfect in my hands, with a slender, but solid, (typical) 80s ASAT neck. It sounds amazing: full range, with balanced highs and lows, very punchy, articulate, clear and snappy. It is quite heavy though (about 8.5 lbs.), as you would expect from a solid maple body. After playing it for a month, I love it! I think the search for my "holy grail" G&L may be over....

https://imgur.com/a/azyioQp
Last edited by cho on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: NGD: ASAT Heaven!

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Wow that is a beauty! Enjoy.
Cheers, Dan

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:51 pm

Nice score!! Congrats! :happy0065: :happy0065: :happy0065:

- Jos

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:24 pm

Wow - Nice Score and no doubt some of us have heard how it sounds already.... Choice.

Re the weight factor, you may want to get yourself a Neotech guitar strap... not the body harness just the neoprene guitar strap. They're FAB IMB. They magically ease/reduce the weight factor of heavier guitars.

Cheers,
KF

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:32 pm

love your asat, cho.
looks special, bet it sounds and plays as well!

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Cho

Exactly what others have said, great score :thumbup:

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:50 am

And the award for "Best In Show" goes to Mr. Cho. Fred had some nice guitars and that is possibly the coolest.

y2kc

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:20 am

I can only repeat what others have said - amazing find. I am jealous.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:08 am

BTW The sister of your ASAT says Hi:

- Jos

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:10 am

Wow! That one is a beauty too, Jos! I bet that thing sustains for days with the Kahler. What is the date on yours? Do you have any other maple bodies with natural finish? (I saw your HG-2 prototype is one example).

Thanks all for the good words! This guitar has inspired me to play more, and I have restarted taking some jazz guitar lessons, in hopes of breaking out of my continual "blues scale" jamming.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:51 pm

:banana: Beautiful

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:59 pm

cho wrote:What is the date on yours?

Neck date: May 16,1986
Body date: May 13 1986
Do you have any other maple bodies with natural finish? (I saw your HG-2 prototype is one example).

Beyond the HG-2 prototype, I have a 'Z-5000' bass prototype which is not very flame-y:
But this 1989 Cherryburst ASAT is more related to the ones shown already:

Have fun playing!

- Jos

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:58 am

Whaouu very nice maple body !!!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:39 am

Those are some nice ones, Jos! :clap: