86 superhawk

Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:28 am

Hi there, G&L fans and lovers.

I recently registered to the forum here. I‘ve eben looking around here a long time as I own a couple of US G&Ls.
I will introduce them to you of course later.
Last week I was very lucky to find a 86 superhawk in my area. it needs some minor adjustment, the pots probably need to be replaced but after all it is in really great shape. It sounds a bit dark and compared to the Asats it has less volume, I still need to figure out what is necessary. But its a beautiful, light and ergonomic guitar and has a great sustain.

Here are some picr, enjoy:

Re: 86 superhawk

Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:23 am

Welcome aboard!

She's a beauty! Love the fade.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:07 am

So cool. Love it.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:03 am

Very nice ! =)
You said it's light ? It may be a swamp ash body ?
Mine is very heavy, its a maple body !

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:51 am

Matdeflo wrote:Very nice ! =)

To be honest, I am not sure. But I find this guitar lighter than my swamp ash Asat Classic.
I will check the weight and tell you.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Gutmann wrote:
Matdeflo wrote:Very nice ! =)

To be honest, I am not sure. But I find this guitar lighter than my swamp ash Asat Classic.
I will check the weight and tell you.

Check out these post for wood types used in the Leo-era:
G&L Maple bodied guitars?
Let's talk Wood!!! Mucho Pictorage from a Gabe post-1/07/07

Hope this helps.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:25 pm

Hey guys, what is the standard electronic wiring on a superhawk?
Mine has a master volume a bridge tone and a neck tone. Is this as it´s supposed to be? The wiring looks good and untouched. I will Post some pics of interested..

And also, one of the 4 screws of the locking nut does not work proberly, it seems to be worn. Someone fixed it with an additional nut and it works, on the other side, is there a need to lock the strings or does it benefit the sound? I do not go crazy on the Tremolo..

Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:22 am

For the electronic wiring, it seems to be original, its the same on mine. I think I will upgrade it with a new configuration, two volume with push/pull to coil tap and one tone, I found this ;)