HNGD

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:43 pm

Well, I finally got an interceptor. I am not sure it is 100% original, it has Sperzel locking tuners which I am not certain they used back then, Regular DFV bridge and a bridge pickup I cannot identify as being original. I still have to do some research and dismantling to get to the facts. My workbench is a mess of Comanche parts right now so it will be a while before I will get to this one. Meanwhile, it rocks! Somewhat similar to my Invaders and I think it was supposed to be built just like the invader but with a different body.

I had seen it for sale in a GC store in Winter Park FLA which is where I used to live basically (Orlando) for way too much money. However, I was in FLA a couple months ago and spent a day tripping to all the local guitar stores, there's a lot of them, and went and had a hands on experience with this guitar. So I knew what I had, just didn't want to pay that much. I took the card of the salesman and asked if they drop the price to let me know. I also made a pretty low offer and left. So, at another local store I was discussing this Interceptor and G&L in general and the guy said "you need to go back and remind them that they are filing for bankruptcy (again) and to take the offer before the new CEO tells you to cut everything to half price if we can't send it back to the distributers. Sounded like a good idea. Well the other day I called the manager of the store and did just that and he accepted my offer on the spot. They shipped it to the local GC store here and I picked it up today.

Boy, what a nice guitar. You can't tell how beautiful the sparkly bluish/purple color is except in person. In photos it almost looks grey. I photographed it in the sun and it looks better but in person it glows. I know at least a couple of you have had this same model with this color so you know what I mean.

Now I still need to work on getting me the first X-body style Interceptor but this is a start on completing my collection. I hadn't cranked up a guitar to full tilt for a while but the wife was at work and I don't have real close neighbors, but I have been known to shake dishes right out of their cabinets in the kitchen and go smashing to the floor so I didn't play for too long. But man, what a monster. It's virtually flawless too.

Enjoy the pics...

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Tom

Re: HNGD

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:32 pm

Hey Tom,

BIG congratulations!! :alright: Glad to see this one made it to a "family" member and even better you got the price you were looking for. Those are way cool and that color is sweet.

I may use the "you need to go back and remind them that they are filing for bankruptcy (again) and to take the offer before the new CEO tells you to cut everything to half price if we can't send it back to the distributers." with a certain GC.

Looking forward to hearing your reviews.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:53 pm

Hadn't heard that news about GC; that's sad for sure, as I'm actually a pretty decent GC defender. Still. Wonder if a certain one still has a Music Man Stingray...

Wow, that's an awesome guitar.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:56 pm

Hey Tom,

Congrats man! Now I can throw away the link to that GC listing ;-)

BTW, G&L started using Sperzel locking tuners in 1987 before they used Schaller locking tuners. The reason? Simple. At the height of high hairdo, dive bombing, shred guitar rock 'n roll Schaller, who had been providing all tuners up to that moment, did not have locking tuners in their lineup yet. But American based Sperzel had. So there you have it. There is nothing out of the ordinary with this guitar: factory provided Schaller bridge humbucker and Skyhawk pickups for the other 2, Purple sparkle with White bevels (you may recall mine has Black bevels). And he maple board provides a beautiful contrast.

Congrats again!

- Jos

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:10 pm

Congrats! Beautiful guitar. I too am glad it found a home "in the family." A win all the way around!

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:15 am

Awesome Tom! -- Darwin

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:39 am

An absolute beauty, they really did make the best looking shredder guitars. I am happy you snagged it !

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks all, appreciate the well wishes. I did do a little more research and concluded as Jos points out that it is all original as it left the factory. I will have to now compare it to my Invaders and see what the differences are. I know the Interceptor has sustain for days. I'm not really a big fan of Maple Fret boards but this one is super sweet. I may have a new appreciation for Maple.

As far as GC going out of business, I had not heard of that either. Come to find out, and I do seem to remember this, they have gone through bankruptcy several times over the years. But, according to the trade mags, this could be the last time.

Tom

Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:15 am

Ouch ! Very nice !!!

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:19 pm

ah, found your post, that is a sweet looking guitar. has the wide/flat neck as well? (#4)

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:50 pm

Nice Score Tom! Very Cool axe. I agree with Jos and what your surmised, those tuners are indeed stock.

Enjoy the new addition to your collection.

Cheers,
KF

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:12 pm

Wow, couple nice Interceptors popping up back to back . jealous !

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:56 pm

Beautiful! Congrats! :clap:

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:07 pm

Just in case there is any confusion...I picked up my interceptor last year. Someone referenced my NGD post from back then thus making it look like a new post if you don't pay attention to the dates.

Still, both nice Interceptors and thanks for the well wishes.

Tom