Drop-in replacement locking tuners?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:08 pm

Anyone know if there are locking tuners which are drop-in replacements for mid-'80s G&Ls?

I have an Interceptor with a Kahler and standard G&L tuners and no string locking mechanism. Before I start hacking into the neck to install a true string locking thing, I'd like to see how well locking tuners work.

The kind I'm trying to replace are G&L-stamped with slotted posts.

Re: Drop-in replacement locking tuners?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:59 pm

scelerat wrote:Anyone know if there are locking tuners which are drop-in replacements for mid-'80s G&Ls?

I have an Interceptor with a Kahler and standard G&L tuners and no string locking mechanism. Before I start hacking into the neck to install a true string locking thing, I'd like to see how well locking tuners work.

They are probably Schaller tuners, see this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: What tuners are used on G&L guitars (USA models)?
And from the 1985 G&L Price List:

You might look at the current locking tuners G&L uses and sells on the On-Line Store: https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/hardware/products/g-l-6-in-line-locking-chrome-tuners-right-hand-only.

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:58 pm

scelerat wrote:Anyone know if there are locking tuners which are drop-in replacements for mid-'80s G&Ls?

To be safer, post a picture of one, preferably after you've removed it, showing the underside.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:01 pm

It helps a ton! Thanks, Craig!

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:17 am

scelerat wrote:It helps a ton! Thanks, Craig!

Glad I could help.

Please post a followup once you decide which locking tuners you go with.
And do post photos, too!