New Old Cavalier for G&L Museum

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:00 pm

A little birdie told me that G&L has found another pre bbe G&L for their collection. A great price and a nice player grade example. Perfect.

Damn it I wanted that guitar!

Nice grab guys,

y2kc

Re: New Old Cavalier for G&L Museum

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:01 pm

where was it at?

Tom

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:40 pm

Sunburst mahogany Cavalier E. It was on reverb and eBay for a very brief time. Listed for $999. On eBay. I shared the eBay link on their CLF Research Facebook post in the comments. I'm excited that it is going back to Fullerton. Maybe now we will see a re-issue of the HG-2R pickups in the future. I love the sound of my Cavalier.
Last edited by Challenger on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:20 pm

Was it in good shape? How do I miss these things? I search just about every day on both sites. There is a kind of beat up red one on Reverb now for 999 but not the condition I am looking for.

AllI can say is WTH another possible gem slips through my fingers. Oh well, should save my GAS money for something really spectacular, I have just always wanted to hear these famous Cavalier pickups...maybe next time.

Tom

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:26 pm

It sold within an hour of me sharing the listing with them. Decent shape. Not as good as mine. If I didn't already have a Cavalier, I would have bought it.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Share with me...!! Good Lord...

Tom

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:48 pm

It was a pawn shop find.

y2kc

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:35 pm

FZTNT wrote:Share with me...!! Good Lord...

Tom

Tom,

I know who has the twin to my Cavalier (all black, gold hardware, saddle lock bridge). A month ago, he commented to somebody on Facebook that he may sell and to shoot him an offer. How bad do you want a Cavalier? I can see how serious he was about selling it.

Chip

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:37 am

Tom

I sent an email with the name of the pawn shop where G&L found the Cav. I would tell you but I am not sure of the rules here.

It was a nice find with a great mahogany body.

y2kc

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:21 am

You sent an email to me? Didn't get it if you did. Forum rules do not prohibit one member telling another, or the entire forum, about a guitar for sale. People usually post these things in the market place but I see them often in the other sub forums. You just can't post retail prices for new gear due to the ownership of the forum being BBE and I believe that would be seen as competing with their dealers.
So lemme know when you see cool stuff like that please, also let me know if you did indeed email me. My email has changed and I emailed Craig twice to change it but never got a response so I am unsure if it happened or not.

Tom

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:49 am

FZTNT wrote:You sent an email to me? Didn't get it if you did. Forum rules do not prohibit one member telling another, or the entire forum, about a guitar for sale. People usually post these things in the market place but I see them often in the other sub forums. You just can't post retail prices for new gear due to the ownership of the forum being BBE and I believe that would be seen as competing with their dealers.
So lemme know when you see cool stuff like that please, also let me know if you did indeed email me. My email has changed and I emailed Craig twice to change it but never got a response so I am unsure if it happened or not.

Tom

I never received your change of address emails. You can change your forum email address via the User Control Panel.
If you wish to change your email address for your GbL Profile (used to register instruments on the G&L Registry,
I do need your existing email address and the new email address to make that change.

I allow posting for discussion of G&L instruments which are for sale on external sources, such as the one you posted: Two Commemoratives On Reverb.
If a member just wants to post a PSA, it should be posted in the Public Service Announcements sub-forum of the GbL Marketplace.

Hope this helps.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Challenger wrote:
FZTNT wrote:Share with me...!! Good Lord...

Tom

Tom,

I know who has the twin to my Cavalier (all black, gold hardware, saddle lock bridge). A month ago, he commented to somebody on Facebook that he may sell and to shoot him an offer. How bad do you want a Cavalier? I can see how serious he was about selling it.

Chip

I'll shoot you an email...

Tom

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Craig wrote:
FZTNT wrote:You sent an email to me? Didn't get it if you did. Forum rules do not prohibit one member telling another, or the entire forum, about a guitar for sale. People usually post these things in the market place but I see them often in the other sub forums. You just can't post retail prices for new gear due to the ownership of the forum being BBE and I believe that would be seen as competing with their dealers.

Tom

I never received your change of address emails. You can change your forum email address via the User Control Panel.
If you wish to change your email address for your GbL Profile (used to register instruments on the G&L Registry,
I do need your existing email address and the new email address to make that change.

I allow posting for discussion of G&L instruments which are for sale on external sources, such as the one you posted: Two Commemoratives On Reverb.
If a member just wants to post a PSA, it should be posted in the Public Service Announcements sub-forum of the GbL Marketplace.

Hope this helps.

Got it Craig. When Y2 was saying he sent me an email I went searching to see if it got changed from the emails I had sent. Which, BTW, were sent to the same email you got from me today, but who knows what the internet does with these things sometimes. But, all is well and my email is changed.

Tom

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Tom,

I emailed you through this site. Have no idea where it went. The guitar was from McBride pawn and music and there is a picture of it somewhere on the Internet.

There are always more old G&L guitars.

Good luck,

Y2kc

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks, that email went into the interworld of never arriving mail. I have corrected my email for this forum and any other emails should go through.

Tom

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:03 pm

I saw the guitar on Reverb and had one of those "I'll think about it overnight" moments. Too late. Still want a Cavalier though.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:47 pm

I personally think it's bad mojo for the corporate giant to go buying guitars out from under us little guys. What is their motive?

Tom

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Awwwww... It's OK. Saved me a thousand dollars and a LOT of explaining to my wife.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:06 pm

I think it is great that the current G&L management is showing an interest in Leo era guitars. I asked some time ago about bringing back the HG-2R pickups and they hadn't played a Cavalier in 25 years so it wasn't on the radar. Now, with the CLF Reasearch bass available and their recent acquisitions of a Skyhawk, Cavalier and fixing up a forgotten SC-3 from the rafters, I'm excited. I wonder if they bought the G-200 that sold today.

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:26 am

I was very happy to learn from the seller that G&L had purchased this guitar. I have more than my share of old G&L guitars.

The supply of old G&L's available has stayed very constant since I started collecting them in 1991. It is true that it is becoming more difficult to find mint, unmolested examples but they have been replaced with a wave of player grade offerings. Also extremely worn examples have been showing up as expected. These guitar are beautiful to my eye and often have great stories attached to them involving weekend warriors playing in bars, divorces, cigarette smoke, alcohol and fights. They are pure Americana!

This Cavalier was pretty clean but had been played. This is a great condition to find these guitars. Not pristine and not delicate. Something to take out and play all night long.

I have more than my share of old G&L's and I have missed out on many more. Another Cavalier will come around and then another one. FYI- Like a few pre-bbe G&L's, the Cavalier has a voicing that is not everyone's cup of tea. They are a unique creation of leo's and part of his experimental evolution. Like the F-100, this guitars tone is one of a kind.

Good hunting,

y2kc

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:05 am

Challenger wrote:I think it is great that the current G&L management is showing an interest in Leo era guitars. I asked some time ago about bringing back the HG-2R pickups and they hadn't played a Cavalier in 25 years so it wasn't on the radar. Now, with the CLF Reasearch bass available and their recent acquisitions of a Skyhawk, Cavalier and fixing up a forgotten SC-3 from the rafters, I'm excited. I wonder if they bought the G-200 that sold today.

I had made an offer on that G-200, never got a reply. It was too much to pay in my mind, even at what I offered. I would think that G&L/BBE would not need the actual guitar to revive its shape, pickups or circuitry as surely they would have all this documented somewhere. It really would be sad to think they had to deconstruct an actual guitar to get this information, even from back in the 80's. Whether I play it or not, I tend to prefer the Leo era instruments for the pure simplicity and the fact that only a small handful of people built the guitar from a couple slabs of raw material and some honest American work. I know it's still done in much the same way as the past but I would rather play a nice shiny instrument from the past than a nice shiny from today. They gleam in their own special way and like KC mentioned perhaps some interesting stories to tell. For some reason, new guitars don'e speak to me. I have my eye on a 60's Duosonic II that I just might pick up instead of my next G&L.Ya never know.

Tom

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Chip,

Was this the relevant Reverb listing for the Cavalier in question? Just so we all can gawk at the guitar ...

- Jos

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:10 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Chip,

Was this the relevant Reverb listing for the Cavalier in question? Just so we all can gawk at the guitar ...

- Jos

Yes, that is the one.

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:24 pm

If anyone just wants a Cavalier there is still one on Reverb. https://reverb.com/item/6361371-g-l-cav ... parent-red

Was considering it but since ASAT's are my favorite just couldn't do it. Succumbed elsewhere, ngd coming.

If someone gets the Cavalier chime in.

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:03 pm

Ya, that one has been listed for sale for quite a while. Too rough for my taste.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:17 am

Yes, seen that on there for a while. To rough for the price, although some would say the pickups are worth it.

Tom

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:24 pm

See: Dave just picked up this old Cavalier off Reverb.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:27 am

Per thread title... Is the plan for a physical museum (one open to the public?)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:09 am

Danley wrote:Per thread title... Is the plan for a physical museum (one open to the public?)

No, but G&L does have a converted office at the factory called the Live at Leo's studio. They do many of the
demos from there. They also keep these vintage G&L instruments in there, too.

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:15 am

Craig wrote:No, but G&L does have a converted office at the factory called the Live at Leo's studio. They do many of the
demos from there. They also keep these vintage G&L instruments in there, too.

Hope this helps.

When I read "Live at Leo's studio" - I didn't read Live as rhyming with Five, but rather as Live, rhyming with Give.

My first thought was, man it would be fun to live at Leo's studio! Then I realized that I'd watched plenty of episodes, so I had not excuse for the mental hiccup.