Re: New G&L Facebook page - CLF RESEARCH CO.

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:07 pm

I would love to have a copy of this catalog, Dave. I have the F-100 featured in it so it would be a cool thing. Got any extras lying around?

Tom

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:58 pm

FZTNT wrote:I would love to have a copy of this catalog, Dave. I have the F-100 featured in it so it would be a cool thing. Got any extras lying around?

Tom

Tom,

Of course you could chase down your own copy. But in the interim, you can find it here in the Gallery.

- Jos

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:30 pm

This old thing. I love it.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:10 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
FZTNT wrote:I would love to have a copy of this catalog, Dave. I have the F-100 featured in it so it would be a cool thing. Got any extras lying around?

Tom

Tom,

Of course you could chase down your own copy. But in the interim, you can find it here in the Gallery.

- Jos

Thanks Jos, I have seen that when Craig posted the very grainy photo wondering if that was my guitar. You posted a hi res version of the page and I have that in my files for provenance purposes. I would like some day to have an actual copy just for documentation and fun.

Tom

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:50 pm

This test mule has some interesting Leo concepts.

First, it has a prototype 5-string bridge with fine tuners, probably intended to be labeled with the
short-lived Guitar-Tech brand. Second, it has an MFD mini-humbucker made using a modified cover
from an HG-2R MFD guitar mini-humbucker.

The pickup is located approximately where he had put the pickup on the Stingray Bass.
Maybe sometime I’ll put a neck on it and see what she does.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks for reposting Craig.

Couple of observations:
  • Note the date on the blueprint drawn by George Fullerton himself:January 3rd, 1986. That is almost 2½ years prior to the inclusion of the L-5000 in the June 1988 price list, the first time a G&L 5-string bass was listed.
  • There are no springs on the intonation bolts which is the reason the bolt heads stick our from the plate. I am pretty sure they are supposed to be there.
  • From the blueprint one can deduce the width of the saddle barrel to be .565". The saddle width of the saddle on the L-5000 and any later 5-string bass are .600" such that 5 of them span the same width as 4 saddles for a 4-string bass which have a .750" width and the same Locktight/Saddle-Lock base could be used.
  • It was very typical of Leo to have existing pickups covers modified. The same is the case here.
  • I would love to see a pic of how the fine-tuning mechanism was supposed to work. It is undoubtedly controlling the position of the string ball end. But to see it for real would be great.

- Jos

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:59 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Thanks for reposting Craig.
I would love to see a pic of how the fine-tuning mechanism was supposed to work. It is undoubtedly controlling the position of the string ball end. But to see it for real would be great.
- Jos

+1
Thanks Craig

Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:42 am

This is Lloyd Chewning in June, 1983. Lloyd was our factory manager, and like many others who worked here,
he was a Fender man years before. Lloyd was a tough guy with a kind heart.

I didn’t really know him, in fact the only words I ever said to him were “Nice to meet you, Lloyd.” Picture this. I walk into
his office, my brother Johnny is there. Johnny says, “Hey Lloyd, I’d like you to meet my little brother, David.” I remember
looking over to Lloyd as he sat behind his desk and he looked at me, kind of squinting and with an angry look. Then Lloyd
barks out, “Why is he wearing a dress?” I was shocked. I looked at Johnny, and he tried to laugh it off like it was just Lloyd
messing with me. Then we heard a thud and looked over at Lloyd. His head had fallen straight down to the desk, his hand still
holding his lit cigarette.

Turns out Lloyd was suffering a massive stroke just as I walked in. The ambulance came, but it was too late for Lloyd.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:13 pm

Man, what a depressing story. I know it's interesting to hear and see the stuff that went on back in the day but this is sad.

I was told by Geoff Fullerton that Loyd may well have assembled my 1980 Prototype F-100.

Tom

Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:32 pm

Leo’s secretary in 1951. This was in the little Pomona Avenue building. It’s long gone now,
a parking structure occupies that space next to the Fullerton train station. I just parked there on
Wednesday and it made me feel like posting something from that magical era.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:23 pm

Our 1980 L-1000 represents the first G&L bass model, and it’s mission was clear: it would be Leo’s next gen p-bass.
It featured all-new MFD pickup technology, innovative passive electronics and more all wrapped in a modern style that was
elegant and clean. This example has a mahogany body and 3-Tone Sunburst finish.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:15 am

People ask me why I didn’t have these MM amp emblems removed from a bench in our final assembly department.
I explain that making the early MM instruments is part of our heritage and history as CLF Research.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:42 am

October 19, 1971 bass bridge drawing by Forrest White. I like to note the focus on capturing string energy and
transmitting the maximum amount to the body. In the late ‘60s Leo began to favor using strong machined posts
screwed into brass bushings pressed into the body. Also note the twin intonation screws per saddle. More work
to set up, but twin screws may transmit more energy into the bridge plate. That focus remained constant well through
the ‘70s to ‘80s here at CLF Research.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:30 pm

Found at the bottom of the drawer at Leo’s drafting table. Early concept drawings for what would become the G&L brand.
Some sort of hand grip? No idea. The first one is weird, the second has pointier hooks (worse), and the third is just like...scrap this idea.
George didn’t give up on the hook idea, it just took years to make it elegant.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:00 am

The second one looks like it could hurt somebody. Imagine this in the hands of Pete Townsend?

Tom

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:42 am

Ah...missed this yesterday, but my friend Mel Dugas gave me a heads up that it was the late, great Dee Murray’s birthday.
As Mel noted, “Dee was one of the earliest G&L endorsers and played an L-1000 from 1980 until his death in 1992.”

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:05 pm

December 1979 - Leo Fender in front of the CLF Research factory. I don’t know the guy with him, but his name “Andrerjo Rosts” is written on the back.
Any of you know him?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:07 pm

The headstock drawings are fantastic. I am so happy George was not satisfied and kept redesigning. Seriously.

Y2kc

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Circa 1977 Final Assembly Department - installing the control plate on a white Stingray Bass.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:41 pm

I pulled out the ‘81 F-100 which hasn’t seen use in a while. Tony’s ‘81 L-2000 is alway close at hand, so I thought I’d line up the headstocks.
I used to be so sure I liked the bass version much more than the guitar version. I thought the proportions weren’t as nice on the guitar, like it seemed
too fat. But I took this pic and clearly the guitar headstock looks every bit as elegant as the bass. Lazily conceived opinion: shattered.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:53 pm

I’ve had this 1982 first gen SB-2 at home for years collecting dust. This morning I decided to bring it in here where it can get some love.
Any of you have one of these?

Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:28 am

1980 master template for L-1000 and L-2000. This was used to make the working templates used in the wood shop.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:23 pm

I went poking around a dusty attic and stumbled onto this. It has a G&L neck heel cut and kind of rough cut pickup holes.
Maybe I need more coffee, but I don’t see pickup covers that will fit those holes. And if that control cutaway was for a plate,
looks like it would have been a big one. No markings on this pickguard but I may find a drawing that provides a clue.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:16 pm

October 20, 1977 drawing by George Fullerton during development of the Sabre guitar.
Note the additional concept work drawn on top of the print. This was typical of the design process
at CLF Research and Fender, where a print was made then additional concept work was drawn on top.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:22 pm

This sketch has no date or name, but appears to be as the CLF bass headstock with a tiny hook added.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:21 pm

January 1989 - a simplified twin humbucker passive concept with pickguard, based on the sleek SB body. Drawn by George Fullerton.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Oooooh...I like that one .

Amazing stuff :ugeek:

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Beautifully framed photo of Dale Hyatt, Rob Joly Jim's Music Center and Leo Fender.
Out to dinner at the Black Angus Steakhouse on Tustin Avenue near 17th Street on the
edge of Santa Ana. 1980 I recall. This is one of the coolest things anyone’s ever given to me.
Thanks, Rob.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:15 pm

October 16, 1960 letter from Speedy West to Leo Fender. Well, it’s just the envelope for today.
I’ll have to transcribe the handwritten letter as it’s difficult to read, and I think I can get that done
by tomorrow. Anyway, looks like Speedy was opening up a music shop in Tulsa, Oklahoma and
Leo had given him the Fender line. It’s a warm, friendly letter that made me smile.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:16 pm

A post card from The Rio Hotel where Speedy was staying. On the back side Speedy wrote,
“Warehouse sets about 300 feet to the right of this motel.” The warehouse means the music shop he
was preparing to open.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:32 pm

I typed out Speedy’s letter below. First let me thank Terry Foster for his contribution. Apparently I misunderstood what my brother was telling me about this letter when he handed it to me yesterday. Terry chimed in with the story that matches the letter. Thanks, Terry!
. . .
October 16 – 60
Hi – Leo – Forrest & George
Just a line to say, I sure like it here everyone here is so friendly and the town is just beautiful. The warehouse is awfully nice and all seems to be working out real good. We have sure been busy setting it up. Stan done a real good job and we just got along swell. Enclosed are some snap shots not too good as it was late in the day when they were taken. The Fender signs should be up before long and all the paving done in the parking lot out in front. We got a real good boy 21 years old to work with me and also a real sharp gal in the office. The other photo is my home I bought. Just 1 ½ miles from the plant up on the Mt. Has 4 bedrooms and 3 baths, living room, kitchen, dining room and family room also a post card from the Rio Motel next door to warehouse and a photo of downtown. Looking forward to seeing you next month.
Speedy
. . .

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:32 am

You know that Leo’s Dual Fulcrum vibrato is a core feature of G&L brand, but did you know he briefly considered offering it to Music Man?
This January 18, 1980 drawing shows routing and bushing holes for the DF vibrato on a Sabre body.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:04 am

Craig wrote:
You know that Leo’s Dual Fulcrum vibrato is a core feature of G&L brand, but did you know he briefly considered offering it to Music Man?
This January 18, 1980 drawing shows routing and bushing holes for the DF vibrato on a Sabre body.

Interesting - would that be right before Leo and George started G&L? I don't recall the exact date they founded the company.

Even though Leo was no longer a partner in Music Man CLF was still building the MM instruments so it would make sense that he was looking at tooling to put the DF trem on the Sabre for them. Then when he and George founded G&L he kept the design for their own models.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:43 am

John C wrote:
Craig wrote:

Interesting - would that be right before Leo and George started G&L? I don't recall the exact date they founded the company.

Even though Leo was no longer a partner in Music Man CLF was still building the MM instruments so it would make sense that he was looking at tooling to put the DF trem on the Sabre for them. Then when he and George founded G&L he kept the design for their own models.

It's very interesting in that I have a prototype F-100 that has a saddle lock bridge with no markings. No logo, so serial number and no nothin. It has two body dates and a few signatures of the builders. The dates are 1-16-80 and 1-17-1980. crazy stuff, huh?

Image Image

Tom

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Fender warehouse being prepared in Tulsa photo front
This is the Fender warehouse being prepared in Tulsa. Speedy wrote on the back:
. . .
“The solid wall in front is a room about 20x30 for display room all air-conditioned and will be real pretty as soon as it’s stocked and furniture and all in.”
. . .

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:21 pm

This is the house Speedy bought in Tulsa. Speedy wrote on the back:
. . .
“Leo - This home sits in a circle like yours and Forrest’s home does. It’s sure a pretty area.”
. . .

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:59 pm

The man.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:00 pm

1980, 1981, 1979

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:08 am

CBS/Fender ad. I believe it was from 1973.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:11 pm

Our ‘79 Sabre is getting an electronic rehab with full L-2000 mods. I think I’m gonna call it El Sable (“sah-blay” is Spanish for Sabre).
El is the play on words like El Toro was to an L-2000. You G&L bass geeks know what that’s about.

Anyway, each pickup will have 4+1 leads like an L-2000 with SCM (single coil mode, aka K-mod) and all new pots, preamp and switches for
L-2000 functionality. Check out that tinfoil held on with Scotch tape...yikes! One coil needs rewinding and my brother Johnny is doing that right now.
Carmen already soldered up the control assembly. She started here in ‘85 so this Sabre missed her by a few years. Memo has the other pickup’s
coil leads done and next will be the pickup grounding.

I think this will sound way better than it did back in ‘79. I can’t wait to play it!

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:12 pm

Johnny just walked in with the rewound coil fresh out of the wax pot. I’m so pumped I immediately reached out to hold it to take a pic.
Ouch!! It’s still hot!

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:15 pm

We’re going with black, RED and white switch tips on El Sable because it has L-2000 functions.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Ron’s verdict: “It’s way better, that’s for damn sure.”

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:51 pm

A bit of a shock to see first a Fender ad, then a refurbishment of a Musicman; curious whether it was a non-functional guitar before they modded it? Stock (or even modified) Sabres are pretty rare in the first place, but I do trust G&L to make them 'better' :)

Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:08 am

February 1957 Fender Music Sales price list.

Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Those boys were busy :happy0065:

$24.50 for a '57 strat pickup... where's my time machine ?? :)

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 am

Interesting. Does anyone know what the Student Spanish guitars were? (6 packed per carton, $20 each)

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 am

Magnetic Field Design pickup promotion. I believe this was in 1983.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:16 am

I think Fender re-badges cheap Harmony acoustics and such for a few years before they released the bolt/broom Villager, Malibu and such.

I like that plastic bobbins aren't used on S500 MFDs; coil wire and polepiece are in direct contact, more possible windings etc.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:54 pm

New models for 1983: SC-1, SC-2 and SC-3. Two years later the SC-2’s pickups were the core of the new G&L Broadcaster,
renamed ASAT in ‘86 (a story for another day).

I always loved this body shape. It’s compact kind of like a Mustang but the proportions are prettier in my opinion. I still think it would have
been cooler with a pickguard of some sort as on the Fallout for example. Anyway, I think George did a nice job on the body shape.
What do you think?