first leo hard tail

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:24 am

well i dont quite know how to say it, but if your lucky at the time, and all happens for you, yep, you can have that lucky find. My first hard tail ASAT, Ash, natural, all black,crinkle and all, nice,.... Wondering, they say,,,string tree, at tuner location up till beginning of 1987 near the D string tuner,, thats where my stringtree is, later they moved it closer to the A tuner, of course more break angle... But am i right in saying later the tree is back at D? just curious, is there a tone change?

Re: first leo hard tail

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:08 am

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkLMsOWhNPQ

not this exact one but same as,,,does sound good and growls a bit dont they,,,,
Last edited by geoff douglas on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:39 am

Congratulations ! It looks like an early one . Those are awesome guitars, I am a big fan of the black hardware. I am happy for your good score and it sounds great too.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:15 pm

Geoff,

Perfect. That is the one to own.

Enjoy,

y2kc

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:26 pm

congrats geoff! magical and toneful the mid-late 80's ASAT's are!
mine likes to play blues

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Interesting question about the string tree, you may be onto something. I have an ASAT with neck stamped 1989, and it is a plastic string tree about level with the top of the E tuning peg. Older ASATs appear to have the metal bracket around the top of the A tuning peg. My 1983 SC-2 has a bracket that is even a bit below the A.

Current ASATs and ASAT Specials appear to have string trees up by the D tuning peg.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:35 pm

I never paid close enough attention to notice. Checked my guitar this evening.

GbL LE-2 has the string tree a bit before the D tuner.
ASAT Classic S has the string tree about even with the D tuner.
'85 SC-3 (2nd body style) has string tree between the D and A tuners, closer to A (maybe 1/4 or 1/3 the distance).
Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe has the string tree just about half way between the A and D tuners.

Dan

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi Submersible and Dan, yes it is a bit odd that the location of the stringtree has moved on more than one occasion. I am almost thinking it could be purely to allow better location of the model decal, though could that really be correct, aesthetics before function, doesnt sound like Leo does it.
Anyone else have a view on the string tree locations ?

This guitar has done some miles i might add, i bought it from a guy that brought it in from the UK to Australia so its up there with the longest traveled guitar from the USofA i'm willing to bet. I will get some pictures put up on the weekend when son visits and try to register it as well, s/no G023378. with bold ASAT and by Leo Fender on headstock in white.. it sure is a very nice guitar, so proud to have it in my possession, their quite rare here in OZ.
Cheers
Geoff
Last edited by geoff douglas on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Here is a posting relating to why the factory adds string trees, even on guitars with staggered tuners: Re: Shaller locking tuners need string tree?.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Congrats Geoff,
I love the look (and sound) of Ash G&L's with the Black metal plates.
A nice blend of classic and modern.

yes...more pics please :P

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:19 am

Thanks Craig for the tree info, so im guessing totally aesthetic location, but cant say they got the location right if aesthetic is the factor with the modern ones,, seems to be right with the the early ones, their just beautiful.
So glad to hear from you Elwood, still waiting for the JCM report,,,im a little worried that my simple explanation of class A biasing did not sit nicely with your tech, did he show you the effects of no circuit change but with valve type change on cut off or saturation location? . The most confusing thing about valve amps is their biasing condition. Before you can understand the deeper forms of bias it is essential to understand the most simplest, so was just trying to get that covered first for all reading this post.
Tme to revive the old thread, any new old amps out there guys, hows the JCM go Elwood, is it up to what they say, love to know your review,, :D
cheers
G
Last edited by geoff douglas on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:35 am

I'm beginning to understand how bias and gain and tube types
are intertwined in the big picture. The addition of a cap on the cathode
for tone shaping was a nice revelation. It's amazing how many different ways
things can be approached when designing a circuit.
Some people are reeeeeallly smart. :searching:

Tone report on the JCM soon, We installed a post phase inverter Master Vol.
the other day. It's a tone monster. Even before the power tubes are pushed,
it has a nice low growl that I haven't had in other amps.
Cats are good. Thanks for asking ;)

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:57 am

lol glad the cats are ok....
just edited my first post,,, so glad tech side is going great and looking forward to the JCM tone report,, :)
cheers all and tune in for the Bathurst 12 hour race,,