Issue with 88/89 ASAT

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:01 am

I recently got an '88 (neck pocket)/ '89 (neck) ASAT in pristine condition. It looks like it was rarely played. The original sales receipt is still in the case. It feels good despite the flattish frets, but I'm having trouble with the sound. Specifically, there is a metallic overtone or harmonic that sounds like it is an octave above the note. It gets more pronounced when the volume is rolled down. I can hear it on both pickups. This overtone is absent on my 1983 SC-2 with the same pickups (the whole reason I sought out a pre-BBE ASAT is because I like the pickups on my SC-2 so much).

Is it possible that what I am hearing is caused by the aluminum pickguard? The pickguard seems like it is microphonic. If I rap on it with my pick, a pinging noise is amplified loudly through my amp. Pickguard heaven makes 1989 ASAT plastic guards, so I could try swapping it, but maybe there are other things I could try first.

Re: Issue with 88/89 ASAT

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:43 pm

I wonder if one of the pickups needs to be re-potted
I have heard of that problem with ASAT Classic p'ups, but not the jumbo MFD's
I have an ASAT with same dates, '88 body, '89 neck, blonde, metal pickguard (black crinkle), no problems like you are describing.
I did need to replace the jack

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:57 am

The metal pick guard is not the issue. Also the flattish frets are par for the course with that era G&L guitar.

I imagine this guitar has suffered from this problem since it was new and that is why it was not played much. Find a qualified tech and get it fixed, it can't be a big deal. example: bad joints, needs shielding whatever. This is a guitar worth fixing and keeping as it was originally constructed. The metal pick guard is an important component to this guitar.

Nice find - enjoy,

y2kc

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:07 am

y2kc wrote:The metal pick guard is not the issue. Also the flattish frets are par for the course with that era G&L guitar.

I imagine this guitar has suffered from this problem since it was new and that is why it was not played much. Find a qualified tech and get it fixed, it can't be a big deal. example: bad joints, needs shielding whatever. This is a guitar worth fixing and keeping as it was originally constructed. The metal pick guard is an important component to this guitar.

Nice find - enjoy,

y2kc

X2 , I was thinking the same thing , weak/bad solder joints or grounding issue , easy problem for a good Tech

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:23 am

Fumble fingers wrote:
y2kc wrote:The metal pick guard is not the issue. Also the flattish frets are par for the course with that era G&L guitar.

Nice find - enjoy,

y2kc

X2 , I was thinking the same thing , weak/bad solder joints or grounding issue , easy problem for a good Tech

I, too agree with these comments.

Another thing you might try is lowering the pickup heights.

Just my $02.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:22 am

Thanks, guys. I'll ask my tech about it. I don't really want to change it from stock.