SC3 Rev. 3 Repatriated

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:40 pm

I used this balmy, 80 degree December day to repatriate an SC3 from Los Angeles back to North OC :D Saluted the factory as I drove by.

$399 with a hard-shell case (well-fitting but likely not original;) no parts changed. I'm in love with this guitar, plays/sounds beautiful. Should be an '87 per the serial, but don't want to dig in and disassemble to look for markings just yet (like I usually do,) plays too well as-is. I was alarmed, it didn't look this good in the ad. Almost no fret-wear.

Re: SC3 Rev. 3 Repatriated

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Danley,

Excellent score and great price. :thumbup: Glad to hear she sounds and plays so well. Based on the color she should, because I have heard black guitars sound better. haha Enjoy for sure!

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:15 pm

That is a steal! If it sounds as good as mine, you will never ever let it go.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:24 am

woohoo!
:thumbup:

Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:34 am

Nice! Great price and condition.

y2kc

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:18 am

Woot. Great guitar!

- Jos

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:39 am

Sweet deal...congrats! I don't believe I had seen it on the usual auction sites, where did you find such a steal?

Tom

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:11 pm

Thanks! Was eBay, but I opted for local pickup so skipped shipping. I was the only bidder:

(I really sort of thought it might be junk from the low-resolution pics. There is no wear for example on the neck . I was happy the backplate came with the guitar :) )

Code:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-sc-3-black-/202154167129
Last edited by Craig on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed link to non-clickable link due to failing link check.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:53 pm

Danley wrote:Thanks! Was eBay, but I opted for local pickup so skipped shipping. I was the only bidder:

(I really sort of thought it might be junk from the low-resolution pics. There is no wear for example on the neck . I was happy the backplate came with the guitar :) )

Code:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-sc-3-black-/202154167129

Nice SCORE!

Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:44 pm

Great score ! I am very happy for you. Those old G&L's are very special guitars.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Danley, sweet SC-3, very cool looking guitar, i'll bet the tones are just oozing out of it! enjoy!

Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:05 am

Just getting time to spend with it: A bit of background, my G&L search began about my join date on this forum, but I got distracted buying things like an Am. Deluxe Strat or cheap project guitars to mod (no mods will occur to the SC3 :) .) My only experience with MFD singles was an ASAT Classic, so I didn't quite know what I was getting with this guitar beyond my knowledge that G&Ls in general and old ones in particular are built rock solid and sound uniformly great. So a few findings on how it sounds and plays:

-It responds really well to manipulating the volume/tone; the guitar doesn't feel like it "loses" something when you roll anything back. Just sounds solid and makes for a very dynamic playing experience
-The pickups punch, bark, and throw tons of treble at your speakers (but easy to control this with knobs.) Treble breakup occurs well before either of my JB humbucker-equipped guitars, and there's a very solid bass you don't get with alnico singles. They LOVE gain, just crushing, defined and thick in a way maybe none of my other guitars matches. But if you roll back and turn it down, there's a lovely, twangy, clucky clean sound. Really a best-of-both-worlds thing
-The pickups can also be very quacky in positions 2 / 4 ; very good
-The DFV isn't a vast diff. feel-wise vs. say my Am. Deluxe Strat bridge, but it is more comfortable
-I want to measure the neck radius next time I remove the strings, it feels fairly flat although I understand it should be small
-It's built like a safe

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:00 pm

Danley wrote:Just getting time to spend with it: A bit of background, my G&L search began about my join date on this forum, but I got distracted buying things like an Am. Deluxe Strat or cheap project guitars to mod (no mods will occur to the SC3 :) .) My only experience with MFD singles was an ASAT Classic, so I didn't quite know what I was getting with this guitar beyond my knowledge that G&Ls in general and old ones in particular are built rock solid and sound uniformly great. So a few findings on how it sounds and plays:

-It responds really well to manipulating the volume/tone; the guitar doesn't feel like it "loses" something when you roll anything back. Just sounds solid and makes for a very dynamic playing experience
-The pickups punch, bark, and throw tons of treble at your speakers (but easy to control this with knobs.) Treble breakup occurs well before either of my JB humbucker-equipped guitars, and there's a very solid bass you don't get with alnico singles. They LOVE gain, just crushing, defined and thick in a way maybe none of my other guitars matches. But if you roll back and turn it down, there's a lovely, twangy, clucky clean sound. Really a best-of-both-worlds thing
-The pickups can also be very quacky in positions 2 / 4 ; very good
-The DFV isn't a vast diff. feel-wise vs. say my Am. Deluxe Strat bridge, but it is more comfortable
-I want to measure the neck radius next time I remove the strings, it feels fairly flat although I understand it should be small
-It's built like a safe

Great review. And I wholeheartedly agree although I cannot make a statement on how the DFV compared to a more traditional vibrator unit. Never owned a guitar with the latter ;-)

One fun thing to check it whether there is a 'copper' string in the middle. This would be a spring which did not get its final nickel or chrome plating and is slightly less stiff than the ones on the outside. This triplet of strings is most definitely a factor in the unique feel of a G&L DFV.

- Jos