The tale of 2 G&L SC-3's

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:38 am

Hi all,
I'm down in the land down under and I've come across the possibility to get my hands on one of two SC-3's locally :shock:
They seem to be the same era (one is 88 and without calling the store now, I'm not totally sure on the second) but only one has stock pups.
My question is, would you pay a little extra for the one with stock pups or settle for the cheaper one (which has awesome local pups installed)?
Please not, I CANNOT afford both :happy0007:
Cheers guys and gals

Re: The tale of 2 G&L SC-3's

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:27 am

Definitely stock. The pickups are part of the magic of the SC-3.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:53 am

Challenger wrote:Definitely stock. The pickups are part of the magic of the SC-3.

+1 :thumbup:

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:13 am

Elwood wrote:
Challenger wrote:Definitely stock. The pickups are part of the magic of the SC-3.

+2 :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:18 am

drjho7 wrote:
Elwood wrote:

+2 :thumbup: :thumbup:

+3 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
You will love these pups. Get as much Leo mojo as you can.

- Jos

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:42 am

STOCK !

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:22 am

Another vote for stock!

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:25 am

I'm seeing a clear trend... I'd would go with stock. MFDs are key ingredient in the mojo.

Is there a chance the one with local pickups still have the original pickups in a box that they could include?

Dan

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:14 am

Go with Stock, it'll never be that way again.

Tom

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:54 pm

WitSok wrote:I'm seeing a clear trend... I'd would go with stock. MFDs are key ingredient in the mojo.

Is there a chance the one with local pickups still have the original pickups in a box that they could include?

Dan

I don't believe the original pups are with the guitar now, which I reckon does make the stock SC-3 more appealing

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Things are only original once. You will enjoy the G&L pickups for the rest of your life.

y2kc

Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:32 am

Would def. prefer stock; out of curiosity, what were the pickups replaced by?

New MFDs (modern S500 pickups) from G&L's webs-shop are $80 USD and I'd say that's the marker for how much the guitar ought to be discounted, minimum, if you must grab the cheaper guitar; $240 for three pickups (and it still won't be spot-on to the wind/sound of the old pickups, but at least it'll be G&L :) )

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:00 pm

I too would like to know what the local pickups were. And there's still a Comanche with your name on it.