Broadcaster worth it or It's just hype

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:12 pm

Hello all,

Just asking to G&L fans who had the chance to try and / or own a Broadcaster if in your honest opinion the guitar worth It?

I mean, I have 5 G&l from 1981 to 1984 that I love and an ASAT from '87 -'88 that sounds and plays amazingly and I paid no more of $900 for any of them and now I wonder if the Broadcaster has something extra beside the decal with Leo's signature that make It live to It's hype and worth over $2500.

There were some pre signed BC decals so what are the odds that Leo himself inspected all 869 guitars?? Is the ASAT just a BC without Leo's signature? Is the signature and low production that make It worth double or triple of an ASAT from year later?

Thanks!!

Re: Broadcaster worth it or It's just hype

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:21 pm

I'll be watching this to hear what people in the know have to say. 8-)

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:20 pm

In my mind, there are two answers to your question.

1: If you want a guitar with amazing clear, warm and rich tone that come from the particular version of the MFD pickups and the Maple body. Plus the versatility of tone possibilities from both these and the tone circuit, you can get no better. The additional collectability, if that is important to you, is just the icing on the cake. Did Leo actually inspect every one of them? Who knows. I prefer to think someone shoved a bunch of stickers in front of him and said "sign these for this week's production" and he did just that. They are however, very well made guitars. So to me, who has three Broadcasters, two of them under $2K,I am a full supporter of their value when they are reasonably priced.

2: If you are strictly looking for the sound of the Broadcaster, go pick up a early '86 through '87 ASAT and you will likely not be able to tell the difference sonically or playability. Just make sure it's indeed a Maple body and has the same pups. These are often referred to as the poor man's Broadcaster but, prices on these are beginning to sneak up there too. Usually one in good condition cargo for $1.5K or more.

So there is some mystique associated with the Broadcaster that may or may not be important to you but either guitar is special and unequalled in it's sound and feel. Play one and you will want one.

Tom

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks Tom. Now I want one.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:57 pm

Pretty much with Tom above. A 1986 ASAT is as good as a Broadcaster, both in construction and sonically. Same woods, same pups, same pots and wiring harness, everything (with just a few more choices in the color). But the Broadcaster has both the decal and the Leo-signed inspection sticker. So it would be for collectability or things like e.g. wanting to own the same model as Carl Perkins' main axe to want a Broadcaster.

I am a sucker for all things George and Leo. So yeah, I have (more than) a couple of both: Broadcasters and early ASATs! And they are all wonderful and dear to me. The mid-1980s Jumbo MFD with a maple body is a match made in heaven.

As far as counterfeits go: Yes, you always have to be on the lookout. The Registry is of some help but asking the seller for supporting documentation goes a long way too.

- Jos

Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:17 pm

The G&L Broadcaster is all hype. So is the SC-3 and the Nighthawk.

Please contact me if you find yourself stuck with one of these guitars. For a small fee I will send you a box and my mailing address.

I am here to help,

y2kc

Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:37 pm

Plus you can't be sure that a Broadcaster isn't a fake. Very scary. Just send them to me for disposal.

my 2 cents,

y2kc

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:25 pm

y2kc wrote:The G&L Broadcaster is all hype. So is the SC-3 and the Nighthawk.

Please contact me if you find yourself stuck with one of these guitars. For a small fee I will send you a box and my mailing address.

I am here to help,

y2kc

You are such a noble giver. We need more people like you in the world... :rolleyes:

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:46 pm

I am here to help,

y2kc

I love hype! I'm keeping the SC-3. Give me hype!

Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:00 pm

If I rattle can my Skyhawk black, can I have some hype as well?

Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:16 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:If I rattle can my Skyhawk black, can I have some hype as well?

Sure as long as you are gving it to me, I'll take rattle can. Love free guitars! Your just down the road don't even need a box. :wink:

Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:01 pm

WitSok wrote:
JagInTheBag wrote:If I rattle can my Skyhawk black, can I have some hype as well?

Sure as long as you are gving it to me, I'll take rattle can. Love free guitars! Your just down the road don't even need a box. :wink:

True. I'd give it to you, but you'd have to paint it in Cubs colors and Logo and play it on stage...

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:23 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:
WitSok wrote:

True. I'd give it to you, but you'd have to paint it in Cubs colors and Logo and play it on stage...

Lol... I could do red, white, and blue... But a sport team logo shouldn't be on a guitar even if it was the Sox! Guess we all have to draw the line some where. One of these days we should meet up at Tighthead or Light the Lamp or something.... Look for each time I go to Park on Park...

Cheers, Dan

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:35 pm

FZTNT wrote:In my mind, there are two answers to your question.

1: If you want a guitar with amazing clear, warm and rich tone that come from the particular version of the MFD pickups and the Maple body. Plus the versatility of tone possibilities from both these and the tone circuit, you can get no better. The additional collectability, if that is important to you, is just the icing on the cake. Did Leo actually inspect every one of them? Who knows. I prefer to think someone shoved a bunch of stickers in front of him and said "sign these for this week's production" and he did just that. They are however, very well made guitars. So to me, who has three Broadcasters, two of them under $2K,I am a full supporter of their value when they are reasonably priced.

2: If you are strictly looking for the sound of the Broadcaster, go pick up a early '86 through '87 ASAT and you will likely not be able to tell the difference sonically or playability. Just make sure it's indeed a Maple body and has the same pups. These are often referred to as the poor man's Broadcaster but, prices on these are beginning to sneak up there too. Usually one in good condition cargo for $1.5K or more.

So there is some mystique associated with the Broadcaster that may or may not be important to you but either guitar is special and unequalled in it's sound and feel. Play one and you will want one.

Tom

Great description Tom, thank you very much. It's helping me a lot to know what to expect.

I am here to help,

y2kc

Well, maybe I have to rephrase my question:

I know how amazing are G&L's. As I stated before I have 5 guitars from 81-84, plus one '88 ASAT, two Legacies and one Fallout... and a second Fallout coming soon.. G&L is not hype, is the real deal. I sold my two Suhrs, a PRS 22, PRS 24, Gibson LP Custom, and two Fender AVRI strats just because since I got my first F-100 in 2008 I barely played any other guitar. Then I bought a SC2, two '83 S500, another F100, etc... The only non G&L guitar that I still have is a PRS 513 that I is going for sale soon after I install a S-500 middle pickup in one of my F-100 to have the some of the versatility of the 513.

My question is what is that make the BC cost two or three times the price of any other G&L 80's model? Is Broadcaster is really a far superior instrument in construction, tone, playability, wood selection, etc? Or if it is just because It is a more collectable instrument due to limited number and the inspection sticker signed by Leo.

I think after reading the posts, specially Tom's and Jos's posts, that the Broadcaster is a fine and outstanding instrument just like any other G&L, maybe a more special one because of the maple body, but what makes this model valuable and stand out of the herd is in first place because It's scarce, second the decal and the sticker with Leo's signature. So It's a personal matter to decide if that worth those +$1500 added to the price of a Leo era ASAT.

VG

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:16 am

The G&L Broadcaster is the only production guitar signed by Leo Fender. Dale Hyatt came up with the idea and Leo reluctantly went along with it. This signature makes this guitar a historic artifact but the big tone makes it a wonderful musical instrument. Tone like a grand piano compared to an upright.

Getting off the fence and snagging one of these guitars is the only way to settle the question about their worth. The price is stable for G&L Broadcasters right now.

my 2.5 cents,

y2kc

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:37 am

I've owned several '86 ASATs and have played one Broadcaster. A few of my ASATs have been from the couple of months that ASAT and Broadcaster production overlapped. The Broadcaster was in fair condition cosmetically, but structurally intact. The ASATs were all in very good to excellent condition.

Overall, I would say that Broadcaster was comparable to my ASATs in terms of sound and playability. I could have purchased it at a very fair price, but I'm on a one-in-one-out basis and I just did not like it enough to kick any of my Leo-era guitars or basses out of the stable. It didn't offer anything that's not already covered by my one '86 ASAT and handful of SC-2s.

Out of all the Leo-era models I've owned with large MFDs, my favorites have been SC-2s. The very best IMO is an '84 with the second body style and a hardtail.

Ken

Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:09 pm

VG,

I'll throw in my $0.02, although it mostly confirms what has been said here:

There is something special about the Leo era G&Ls with the maple bodies and the large MFDs. They are very snappy and articulate and just sound sublime. For me, the ebony fretboards are also amazing, maybe more for the look than the playability or sound...I'm not sure.

So, if you have a Leo era G&L with a maple body and the large MFDs, then I would say you pretty much have the sound of a Broadcaster, especially if it is an ASAT. If you don't have that combination, then a maple bodied ASAT or SC model will get you there without having to spend the $$ on a Broadcaster. (Having said that, I have recently seen '86 ASATs advertised for $1500, while seeing some Broadcasters advertised for $1700. not much of a difference...)

Now, if you are a collector and like the collectibility of the Broadcaster, then that is another matter.... Is there some magic mojo to having Leo's signature on your guitar....? Could be.... ;)

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:50 am

From what i'm gathering , pre BB asats that are swamp ash do not seem to be as desirable . I wonder if I could tell the difference?

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:36 am

glvourot wrote:From what i'm gathering , pre BB asats that are swamp ash do not seem to be as desirable . I wonder if I could tell the difference?

I did not mean to imply that the ash models are not desirable. I love the ash models too. But ash bodied guitars are ubiquitous, whereas maple bodies are fairly rare and, in terms of G&L, pretty much unique to the Leo era instruments. -- It would be an interesting experiment to see who really could tell the difference in a blind A/B test... Maybe I am biased because I like the solid finishes, which tended to be the maple bodies...

Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:45 pm

glvourot wrote:From what i'm gathering , pre BB asats that are swamp ash do not seem to be as desirable . I wonder if I could tell the difference?

I love the ash bodies. They are especially handsome with transparent and premium finishes and sound beautiful. That is why they are ubiquitous. The soft maple is something you chase if you want the same tonewood as the Broadcaster. The MFD pickups on the era are also wound to different specs than today.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:41 pm

cho wrote:

I did not mean to imply that the ash models are not desirable. I love the ash models too. But ash bodied guitars are ubiquitous, whereas maple bodies are fairly rare and, in terms of G&L, pretty much unique to the Leo era instruments. -- It would be an interesting experiment to see who really could tell the difference in a blind A/B test... Maybe I am biased because I like the solid finishes, which tended to be the maple bodies...

I'm willing to bet that a panel of 10 seasoned G&L loving guitarists would not be able to tell the difference between the tones of an '85 maple body broadcaster and an '88 ash body ASAT played by the same player thru the same amp, in a blind-folded pepsi challenge, of course. (my rationalization for not forking out for a broadcaster...yet)
evidence: even 2 of the same exact build guitar sound and feel different

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:36 pm

If I ever get to play an old maple Asat it will be a complete fluke. I had hoped to try out a Broadcaster last November when i was in Nashville. They had one at Gruhn's. FZTNT bought it before I had a chance . ( Shakes fist at Tom.... ) . Kidding aside , I would want one just for the sticker. That they look super cool and sound great is a bonus. I may be mistaken, but I swear they were going for between 1000-1500 dollars when I joined the forum back in Dec 2010. Maybe cleaner examples were more. I was stoked I was able to get my plain old blonde Asat coming up 3 years ago.

Paul

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:58 pm

drjho7 wrote:I'm willing to bet that a panel of 10 seasoned G&L loving guitarists would not be able to tell the difference between the tones of an '85 maple body broadcaster and an '88 ash body ASAT played by the same player thru the same amp, in a blind-folded pepsi challenge, of course. (my rationalization for not forking out for a broadcaster...yet)
evidence: even 2 of the same exact build guitar sound and feel different

I agree that it would be difficult to tell by listening to the tones. It would be an interesting experiment... Perhaps it would require playing the two guitars, and not just listening, to detect a difference... I think I detect a difference... but I haven't really done the A/B test.... maybe I am deluding myself. :lol: It may be that my maple bodied G&Ls just happen to have the necks I like the most, or some other factors....

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:59 am

glvourot wrote:If I ever get to play an old maple Asat it will be a complete fluke. I had hoped to try out a Broadcaster last November when i was in Nashville. They had one at Gruhn's. FZTNT bought it before I had a chance . ( Shakes fist at Tom.... ) . Kidding aside , I would want one just for the sticker. That they look super cool and sound great is a bonus. I may be mistaken, but I swear they were going for between 1000-1500 dollars when I joined the forum back in Dec 2010. Maybe cleaner examples were more. I was stoked I was able to get my plain old blonde Asat coming up 3 years ago.

Paul

Sorry Paul. I remember the post at the time but unfortunately I had to buy the Broadcaster and F-100 in order to get the price I wanted. I know you wanted to play the F-100 too but it was un-playable at the time, you would have been disappointed. The strings were old and it needed a little TLC however, it was the prototype I love so much so turned into an even better bargain. Hope you get a chance to play both one day, you'll want them both.

Tom

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:50 am

All others hit the high points, but here's my $0.02 for what it's worth.

I did an A/B between a September 1985 Broadcaster, maple fret board, maple body, 8.48lbs versus a 1988 ASAT, rosewood fret board, ash body, 8.7lbs and here's my findings. Played on Mesa Boogie F-50 clean channel, only varying factor was I rolled volume and tone knobs on the guitar, tone knob mainly all up.

Played the Broadcaster first and could hear that certain sparkle and clarity right off the bat. There is something with maple and MFD's.

Played the '88 ASAT and found the difference just very slightly heavier. The word "heavier" has to be taken with an understanding the tone was every bit G&L MFD, just a varying degree. This ASAT was purchased in 1994 and has been my favorite standard ASAT, so it definitely has "that" sound as well.

Since I was concentrating on different tone characteristics I could hear them, but to "just plug and play" most people will say they sound similar. If you can play them, do and listen carefully, then let your ear decide. The pride of owning a "Broadcaster", a Leo signed guitar, knowing the mojo is with you, and the ability to say "I love the sound of maple in the morning!" are all an added bonus. ;)

Broadcasters can be found $1700 and under, you just have to be on the lookout, negotiate purchase price and be patient. Got mine a couple of years ago for under and glad I jumped when the opportunity was there.

Happy hunting! :searching:

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:10 pm

I play better and sound much better with a Broadcaster !! ... If you don't believe , just take the neck off your Broadcaster , gaze at " Leo's " signature for a few minutes to a hour , put back together and play , If that ain't mojo overload I don't know what is

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:45 pm

There's one on Reverb right now in pretty good shape for $1600.00 after a 20%discount. The ad does not say if it comes with any paperwork or even a case. If you are serious about owning one of these then you should look into this one quick. I have never seen one i this condition for this price. Not lately anyhow.

So there you have it. a reasonable priced Broadcaster if there is nothing funky about it.

I am not affiliated with the seller and know nothing more about this guitar than what is in the ad.

Tom

Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Broadcaster BC 00751 went for $1,250 including fees at HA.com yesterday.

Not me ...

I went for a different lot ...

- Jos

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:07 pm

- Update -

I finally ended buying one on Reverb for $1650. It's almost in pristine condition, no bumps, cracks, etc.. Maple fingerboard and Kahler vibrato, kind of a rarity of combination in this model.

Here is the link for those who are registered there and want to take a look: https://reverb.com/item/7038369-1985-g-l-broadcaster

When the seller agreed to sell It to me for $1650 It was my green light. Thank God I always had well paid jobs that allow me to buy guitars in the high price tag spectrum owning several Gibson, Fender CS and AV, PRS and Suhr, some of them over $3K being all of them a big disappointment specially Suhr. I hate Suhr. (The only exception was PRS that in my opinion worth every cent in the price tag. Those are pieces of art.) So paying less than $2k for a guitar that I know its very well made and is signed by the man who is maybe the most important person in the electric guitar history... It was a no brainer.

It arrived a week ago. The only drawback is the bridge pickup was dead. It also happened with my F100. So I have to buy a replacement. I only played the neck pickup. Sounds sooooo gooooood.

My '87 ASAT cost $860 two years ago, the BC was double. The BC doesn't feel like a two times better guiar but has something special, I don't know what It is but If I have to choose only one guitar the BC It is, I love it. In fact is the first guitar I am proud to be it's owner.

So thanks to everyone that helped to make my decision. I am very happy with It, really very happy.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:55 am

Congrats!
Maybe you can find an 80's MFD to make it period correct,
I hear the pickup wire was different than in the current pickups.

Or maybe have someone like Jason Lollar rewind the original
(with the proper NOS wire).

:cheers:

Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:51 am

Well done and congrats. That's too bad about the one pickup. Keep your eye out and you might be able to find a period correct replacement. There is a page on this forum that lists the exact specs of that pickup so you will know what to look for or what questions to ask. Just search for "list of pickups used" and you should eventually find it.

Tom

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:53 pm

Is the B/C worth it? Let's put it this way, if the nay-sayers were given a Broadcaster or managed by the grace of God to find one for cheap at a garage sale, the first thing they would do is delete their negative comments in this discussion. Then they would hop on over to Reverb or eBay and put it up for sale at $3,000 or more! Greed hath neither ethnicity, color nor age!

IOW, the Broadcaster is a valuable piece of G&L history and nothing we say here is going to change that. I own a Series one and a series two F-100's, a Broadcaster and a couple other early G&L's. I sleep very well at night.

Gerry

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:48 pm

I have an early '86 ASAT with a maple body. I've always assumed it's essentially the same guitar as a Broadcaster, minus the black headstock and the Leo signature in the pocket. Amazing tone. There's no doubt something special in the sauce. I have an ash-bodied '86 ASAT as well which doesn't quite sound the same, so I don't think I'm completely crazy.

All that said, if I had the $ and the opportunity I would jump at a "real" Broadcaster.