Leo Fender Owned Test Guitar 1982 G&L S-500 listed in Auctio

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:04 pm

A pretty rare early G&L on Heritage Auctions. A nice historical guitar from the Leo era.

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/musica ... ent-112816

Re: Leo Fender Owned Test Guitar 1982 G&L S-500 listed in Au

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:42 pm

rushmore wrote:A pretty rare early G&L on Heritage Auctions. A nice historical guitar from the Leo era.

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/musica ... ent-112816

I see that this guitar is registered in our G&L Registry and listed as currently owned by "B Vestal", who is aka "verybestal" on the Forums.
If verybestal sees this, perhaps he can confirm whether or not this is a legit auction.

:ugeek:

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:39 am

:wave: Hi all, it seems that I am the owner like a rare guitar. 1982-1983 year (No. G011058). I have the only difference from the guitar. I trim the fretboard ebony. The former owner moved CLR on a non-standard place. Done very neatly, but I think to move it back. In addition, he loved rifle Association and glued it on the deck sticker. Now I'm afraid to remove it, as it is likely to damage the paintwork. What do you think? If you heat the sticker with household hair dryer will be able to remove it without damaging the paint? And another question : how in English is called the body color? Here is a link to a photo: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/Fp5h/LFY86SXQu
Any help would be appreciated if I get any news and details about this gorgeous guitar. The sound of her stunning unlike the Stratocaster AVRI

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi Roman, that is a really nice '82-3 s500. Finish looks like a redburst over Mahogany, my guess.
re: the sticker, would try to peel it off very carefully, then remove residue with goo-be-gone adhesive remover.
others may have better suggestions.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:03 pm

drjho7 wrote:Hi Roman, that is a really nice '82-3 s500. Finish looks like a redburst over Mahogany, my guess.
re: the sticker, would try to peel it off very carefully, then remove residue with goo-be-gone adhesive remover.
others may have better suggestions.

Goo-Gone or some other cirtus oil based cleaner should do the trick without marring the finish.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:44 pm

roman wrote::wave: Hi all, it seems that I am the owner like a rare guitar. 1982-1983 year (No. G011058). I have the only difference from the guitar. I trim the fretboard ebony. The former owner moved CLR on a non-standard place. Done very neatly, but I think to move it back. In addition, he loved rifle Association and glued it on the deck sticker. Now I'm afraid to remove it, as it is likely to damage the paintwork. What do you think? If you heat the sticker with household hair dryer will be able to remove it without damaging the paint? And another question : how in English is called the body color? Here is a link to a photo: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/Fp5h/LFY86SXQu
Any help would be appreciated if I get any news and details about this gorgeous guitar. The sound of her stunning unlike the Stratocaster AVRI

I updated your registry entry and the body color looks to be Tobacco Sunburst on Mahogany body wood.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi! thank you for responding to my request! I am very grateful to All of You! Will use your tips for cleaning guitar and unsubscribed when I do! But what color to choose? Redburst, or Tobacco Sunburst? After that I can record to the database for more information. With hope and respect :happy0065: :happy0065: :happy0065:

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 pm

And if you carefully remove the top armoured layer of the sticker. Then place an alcohol swab. Wait until absorbed and then gently remove with your finger or a soft eraser? Glue to dissolve, the varnish turbid? Or still, lemon or other citrus oil (if I understand You correctly?).

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:35 pm

roman wrote:Hi! thank you for responding to my request! I am very grateful to All of You! Will use your tips for cleaning guitar and unsubscribed when I do! But what color to choose? Redburst, or Tobacco Sunburst? After that I can record to the database for more information. With hope and respect :happy0065: :happy0065: :happy0065:

It is Tobbaco Sunburst. Redburst didn’t become a standard finish until 2001.
I had already updated the registry entry when I was checking your entry.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 am

Craig wrote:
roman wrote:Hi! thank you for responding to my request! I am very grateful to All of You! Will use your tips for cleaning guitar and unsubscribed when I do! But what color to choose? Redburst, or Tobacco Sunburst? After that I can record to the database for more information. With hope and respect :happy0065: :happy0065: :happy0065:

I had already updated the registry entry when I was checking your entry.

Thank you understand! Many thanks that has corrected the record. :wave:

Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:27 am

roman wrote:
Craig wrote:

And yet, maybe it's Tobacco Brown Sunburst? Color brust is very similar to Irish Ale. Upon request, Google provides the color is much lighter.

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:18 am

I would say it is similar to Tobacco Sunburst. Prior to 1990, G&L only used the word "sunburst" to describe sunburst finishes...no "tobacco", "brown", etc. The 1990 catalog and price list added Cherryburst as an option for some models, but the others were still just "Sunburst".

Good luck getting the sticker off. Have you had any luck with it yet?

Ken

Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:25 am

KenC wrote:I would say it is similar to Tobacco Sunburst. Prior to 1990, G&L only used the word "sunburst" to describe sunburst finishes...no "tobacco", "brown", etc. The 1990 catalog and price list added Cherryburst as an option for some models, but the others were still just "Sunburst".
Good luck getting the sticker off. Have you had any luck with it yet?
Ken

Hi! Thank you for this useful clarification! I am grateful for the help. Unfortunately, the sticker I have not removed. No time for my Hobbies. All the time this month is the main work. I hope that you'll post a photo report when you perform, what you will. The next step will be the return of the 5-way switch on a regular place. But the plans for Christmas or later. Glad to hear people with the same Hobbies. Good luck to everyone! G&L forever!!!!!!

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:44 am

Hello! Using the tips I removed the traces of stickers. You can see it here. https://cloud.mail.ru/public/D5qL/2aiFB66SV

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:57 am

looks great, nice work getting the sticker off. i don't remember ever seeing the pickup selector in that position on the pickguard before. must be an early s-500, maybe a prototype?

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:53 am

drjho7 wrote:looks great, nice work getting the sticker off. i don't remember ever seeing the pickup selector in that position on the pickguard before. must be an early s-500, maybe a prototype?

There he put the previous owner. Need it too to fix it. I'll fix it later.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:14 pm

drjho7 wrote:looks great, nice work getting the sticker off. i don't remember ever seeing the pickup selector in that position on the pickguard before. must be an early s-500, maybe a prototype?

That does look like it would get in the way. Why wouldn't there be a slot in the control plate? Could be some sort of prototype but has a high enough serial number to be regular production.

Tom

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:43 pm

I know for a fact that the switch position is transferred by the previous owner of the guitar. The work done, some good workshop. All carefully and properly. This owner all the time touched the lever during the game. That's why we came to this decision. I will rectify the situation, to achieve full authentication.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:39 pm

Did anybody on this forum score this guitar yesterday (10/27/2017) at HA.com?

- Jos

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:51 pm

Or the Broadcaster that went for $1200.00?

om

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:18 am

Not me.

y2kc

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:47 am

I think G&L should change the S-500 body and pickguard back to that original design and leave the Strat shape to the Legacy/Comanche model line.
The old body was great and may be more popular now than it's first time around.
This way the S-500 gets to be unique again. Gets to be its own thing again.
What would Leo do? (sorry, couldn't help myself :lol: )

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:09 am

BoringPostcards wrote:I think G&L should change the S-500 body and pickguard back to that original design and leave the Strat shape to the Legacy/Comanche model line.

Completely agree. When I was introduced to the brand it was confusing with the models that looked basically the same (Strats). To me it make sense to keep the Legacy in the current body style aa this seema to be the "better" option for thoae who want a more vintage Strat feel, vibe, and tone. The S-500 is really it's own thing and reserrecting the orginal body style would help communicate that to customers. I too think that customers now are more ready and accepting of the old shape.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:50 am

I'm with you!

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:52 am

roman wrote:I'm with you!

+2 !

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:41 pm

WitSok wrote:
BoringPostcards wrote:I think G&L should change the S-500 body and pickguard back to that original design and leave the Strat shape to the Legacy/Comanche model line.

Completely agree. When I was introduced to the brand it was confusing with the models that looked basically the same (Strats). To me it make sense to keep the Legacy in the current body style aa this seema to be the "better" option for thoae who want a more vintage Strat feel, vibe, and tone. The S-500 is really it's own thing and reserrecting the orginal body style would help communicate that to customers. I too think that customers now are more ready and accepting of the old shape.

Personally, I agree. I like the Skyhawk body/pickguard shapes from the mid-80's with the small coil MFD p'ups. Very cool and distinct. The early S-500 was similar, though unique re: the angle of the bridge p'up and the circuit, and p'up shapes. I think the SC-3 and the S-500 and Skyhawk all evolved in the direction of the more familiar strat shape based on customer preference. Sales are sales and customers vote with ther wallets. G&L could morph the Skyhawk back to the old style, and the keep the S-500 option with the strat shape and it's small mfd p'ups and expander switch, or morph the S-500 back to the old style but I wonder what that'd do re: customer preference??

Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:24 am

drjho7 wrote:
WitSok wrote:

Personally, I agree. I like the Skyhawk body/pickguard shapes from the mid-80's with the small coil MFD p'ups. Very cool and distinct. The early S-500 was similar, though unique re: the angle of the bridge p'up and the circuit, and p'up shapes. I think the SC-3 and the S-500 and Skyhawk all evolved in the direction of the more familiar strat shape based on customer preference. Sales are sales and customers vote with ther wallets. G&L could morph the Skyhawk back to the old style, and the keep the S-500 option with the strat shape and it's small mfd p'ups and expander switch, or morph the S-500 back to the old style but I wonder what that'd do re: customer preference??

Wouldn't hurt to try. Put the idea out there on social media of reissuing some of the older designs that fell astray and see how they're received.
Skyhawk, Original S-500, HG-2, F100 (top loaded), etc.. complete with the original body shapes, pickguards/control panels and maybe even the black crinkle hardware and what not. They don't need to retool anything. All the hardware is basically the same. It would be no more difficult than programming the CNC to make the Doheny shape and digging out templates for the pickguards and control panels.
It just seems a shame that so many of Leo's post-Fender ideas got buried largely due to the market being stuck in the "glory days".
People are selling all kinds of crazy guitar designs these days without any trouble at all.
Reverend and Eastwood are good examples. The market seems more open than ever nowadays to new designs.
Jazzmasters and Jaguars are even finally getting the respect they deserve. They're everywhere now. Just 12 years ago I bought my first and most people had no idea what it was.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:44 am

Well, Legacy ergonomy is awesome. To be honest, I would play whatever pickups in legacy configuration and like it, because the body shape is the best around, and the weight is proportionned and light on shoulders. Why changing classics?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:57 am

My LE-2 is so comfortable to play, so to me expanding the SC series and bring back the HG series would be pure GAS. I'm guessing the old Skyhawk/S-500/F-100 body styles didn't lack in ergonomics either. The SC/Fallout/LE-2 is by far my favorite style, followed by the ASATs. I'd love to to see the jazz style MFDs in an SC body!

I believe the new F-100 basically is the old S-500 body shape, so much of the CNC is already done.

Dan

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:49 pm

WitSok wrote:My LE-2 is so comfortable to play, so to me expanding the SC series and bring back the HG series would be pure GAS. I'm guessing the old Skyhawk/S-500/F-100 body styles didn't lack in ergonomics either. The SC/Fallout/LE-2 is by far my favorite style, followed by the ASATs. I'd love to to see the jazz style MFDs in an SC body!

I believe the new F-100 basically is the old S-500 body shape, so much of the CNC is already done.

Dan

I agree. SC body is great and the HG would be sweet. I want the control panel as an option though. Rear mounted looks so naked to me.
The Skyhawk and F100 aren't uncomfortable or lacking in ergonomics at all in my experience. Definitely not less comfortable than a traditional Strat shape. It still has nice contours and isn't that heavy or bulky.
I don't own any of them personally, but my uncle's got a collection of early G&L and Music Mans and I've borrowed each of them at some point or another over the years.
F100 and Sabre are very similar in feel. I've gigged with both of them. Ernie Ball brought the Sabre back with the old body recently (without the active circuit and full control plate though).
They're selling.

Edit: I'd like to add that I find it odd that Fender fans die for original specifications and vintage correctness (and will storm the castle to keep it that way), but it seems there's a lack of the same sentiment amongst G&L fans online. A new S-500 has a body from FMIC's history, not G&L's. It's a mash up of two completely different eras in Leo's life, which is cool for a "Legacy" model. I'm the kind of G&L fan that would die for a brand new S-500 as designed by Leo at G&L in early 80s. "Vintage spec" S-500 doesn't exist. Broadcaster/ASAT still exists alongside the ASAT Classic model as the ASAT Special. A Legacy bodied S-500 isn't an S-500 to me, it's a Legacy with S-500's guts. /end rant
Last edited by BoringPostcards on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:24 pm

I love all those old G&L body shapes as well . I would love to play an original S-500. My main goal is to get an original SC-2 some day, first body shape would be my first choice but I would not sneeze at the second body style either. Its funny, my 2003 S-500 was my first G&L but I really consider it as the Strat that I really wanted . The S-500 guts offer so much more tone wise and you can still make it sound like a Legacy if you want. When I bought it there was a Legacy there as well. The same guy must have traded them both in . Between the two , the Legacy was not even a consideration for me.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 pm

glvourot wrote:I love all those old G&L body shapes as well . I would love to play an original S-500. My main goal is to get an original SC-2 some day, first body shape would be my first choice but I would not sneeze at the second body style either. Its funny, my 2003 S-500 was my first G&L but I really consider it as the Strat that I really wanted . The S-500 guts offer so much more tone wise and you can still make it sound like a Legacy if you want. When I bought it there was a Legacy there as well. The same guy must have traded them both in . Between the two , the Legacy was not even a consideration for me.

Here's a early red SC-2 in good condition for sale in Toronto (FOR PEANUTS!!)
https://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/d/amplifier-and-electric-guitar/6373081714.html

Does he not know what he has or do early 80s SC models really sell for so cheap? I haven't seen one for sale in aeons, so I have no idea what they usually go for.
Last edited by BoringPostcards on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:50 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:

Does he not know what he has or do early 80s SC models really sell for so cheap? I haven't seen one for sale in aeons, so I have no idea what they usually go for.

...and an amp to boot!
That's a steal, someone should tell him he could easily get twice that ,
or buy it and just smile quietly :angel:

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:57 pm

Elwood wrote:
BoringPostcards wrote:

...and an amp to boot!
That's a steal, someone should tell him he could easily get twice that ,
or buy it and just smile quietly :angel:

I'm in Newfoundland otherwise I'd jump on that so fast my own head would spin.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:11 pm

He might ship the guitar (sans amp) if asked, toss a little extra in for his troubles.

I got burned on an ASAT from a guy in Ontario (Alan Serpa IIRC :evil: ),
...that makes it easier for me to be happy with what I have...sure is tempting to try though,
Looks like a nice SC-2 with the older small square cornered case.
(I got an SC-3 to australia for $35 because those small cases are just under the dimensions
for the extra postal charges)

cheers

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Elwood wrote:He might ship the guitar (sans amp) if asked, toss a little extra in for his troubles.

I got burned on an ASAT from a guy in Ontario (Alan Serpa IIRC :evil: ),
...that makes it easier for me to be happy with what I have...sure is tempting to try though,
Looks like a nice of SC-2 with the older small square cornered case.
(I got an SC-3 to australia for $35 because those small cases are just under the dimensions
for the extra postal charges)

cheers

Wait, you're in Australia? I was wondering what Canada's Mexico referred to. :lol:

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:56 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Wait, you're in Australia? I was wondering what Canada's Mexico referred to. :lol:

No, I'm in the pacific NW...I sold the SC-3 to someone in Australia.
:)

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:17 pm

Wow and it has a saddle lock too. Very tempting. Amazing how some people cannot be bothered to do the most basic internet research to get a ballpark of what something is worth. $368 dollars US Elwood. With a case too, geez....

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 pm

glvourot wrote: . $368 dollars US Elwood. With a case too, geez....

I was afraid to look at the exchange, crazy good deal.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:46 pm

I think somebody tipped him off.....
https://toronto.craigslist.ca/search/ss ... 2&sort=rel