Repalcement Neck for SC-1

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:51 am

My expert guitar repair person tells me that the truss rod on one of the SC-1s is frozen, and my best bet is to find a replacement neck. Does anyone know if there is a current G&L production model with the same (or close) specs as a vintage SC-1? Or if there might be there a neck from any other manufacturers that might be compatible? Thank you.

Re: Repalcement Neck for SC-1

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:44 am

Before changing the neck, I suggest you go see another luthier, to make sure. I had a stuck truss rod and took it to two luthiers, and they said it was doomed. I decided to trade it with a friend of mine who took it as a "gap" instead of money for another G&L bass, with my legacy neck broken + a precision. He had it for a week in a "wet room" in some kind of humidity high place with buckets of water. 1 week later, the guitaer was back in shape. Lost a perfectly good legacy deluxe top because of luthier who didn't took the time to do proper check. It's not really their fault because there is always the time and business in the whole equation, but a new neck is 600$ for a US G&L guitar. While it is ok, you could save a 600$... Still, just my two cents :) Write G&L, they will answer for sure. They did answered to me in the past, but I decided to take the less costly route, and I regret it as the legacy was a KILLER guitar. Miss it, but hey, at least she is now played daily - the buyer really loved it.

Musikraft can also do G&L neck for it. They have that option. Give them a mail, could help out too. It was an option I had too.

https://musikraft.com/product-info.php?pid196.html

Cheers!

NOTE: I have no affiliation with musikraft. Just trying to help :)

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:58 am

blesscurse wrote:My expert guitar repair person tells me that the truss rod on one of the SC-1s is frozen, and my best bet is to find a replacement neck. Does anyone know if there is a current G&L production model with the same (or close) specs as a vintage SC-1? Or if there might be there a neck from any other manufacturers that might be compatible? Thank you.

Crusher wrote:Before changing the neck, I suggest you go see another luthier, to make sure. I had a stuck truss rod and took it to two luthiers, and they said it was doomed. I decided to trade it with a friend of mine who took it as a "gap" instead of money for another G&L bass, with my legacy neck broken + a precision. He had it for a week in a "wet room" in some kind of humidity high place with buckets of water. 1 week later, the guitaer was back in shape. Lost a perfectly good legacy deluxe top because of luthier who didn't took the time to do proper check. It's not really their fault because there is always the time and business in the whole equation, but a new neck is 600$ for a US G&L guitar. While it is ok, you could save a 600$... Still, just my two cents :) Write G&L, they will answer for sure. They did answered to me in the past, but I decided to take the less costly route, and I regret it as the legacy was a KILLER guitar. Miss it, but hey, at least she is now played daily - the buyer really loved it.

Musikraft can also do G&L neck for it. They have that option. Give them a mail, could help out too. It was an option I had too.

https://musikraft.com/product-info.php?pid196.html

Cheers!

NOTE: I have no affiliation with musikraft. Just trying to help :)

See: Compilation of Replacement neck info posted on the G&L Forum

And, in particular, see this post: Musikraft neck project.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:18 am

The current SC-2 model has a 4-bolt neck, so in case someone says it will work, see this post: 3 bolt neck to 4 bolt body, is this swap doable?.

The truss-rod nut may have maxed out the threads on the rod. You might have your tech remove the truss-rod nut and add some washers on the rod to extend the adjustment.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: