'81 F-100 showing crease at the center join...

Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:39 pm

...through the paint. Especially prominent when you look at the body at an angle. Is this normal, or cause for concern?

Re: '81 F-100 showing crease at the center join...

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:55 pm

I believe it's normal....I hope it's normal because one of my guitars does the same thing.
Held just right there's a just visible line at the seam.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:16 pm

Nothing to worry about. You'll probably see more seams on nitro finished guitars,
as opposed to poly. Probably a sign that the wood is free to move and not dampened by
it's finish :think:

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:09 am

G&L guitar bodies from the Leo era were made using 2 to 1000 pieces of wood glued together. Most likely it will only be 2 -3 pieces of wood.

More than likely, at the right angle and with the light reflecting just perfectly, you will see a seam or joint. This is not uncommon and not something that takes away from these guitars in any way. My Sc-3 that I play everyday has a joint right down the middle. Damn I like these guitars.

y2kc

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:19 pm

What they said. I noticed this on a Broadcaster and was concerned that it was a defect, but like the others have said it's just a product of the finish and the joint shifting slightly and nothing to worry about.

Play away in peace...

Tom

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:59 am

Cool, I figured as much. Thanks all!