Interesting DFV bridge

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Has anyone seen one of these before? Does anyone have any information about it?

https://reverb.com/item/5766321-g-l-rar ... ome-nickel

Re: Interesting DFV bridge

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:16 pm

cho wrote:Has anyone seen one of these before? Does anyone have any information about it?

https://reverb.com/item/5766321-g-l-rar ... ome-nickel

See this post: Help me identify this G&L Bridge.

AFAIK the bridge plate is factory G&L, the other parts are likely aftermarket.

:ugeek:

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:22 pm

Craig, although both bridges say "custom", the one on reverb right now is distinctly different than the one in the link you sent. The one in the link looks like it has been cut straight across, going through the holes. The one on reverb has not been cut, and, more importantly, has roller saddles on it. It looks very nice. I am tempted to try it, but the price is too high for me...

Also, I am not sure that the roller saddles would do much in this case, since it is a dual fulcrum bridge, and not a bigsby-style bridge. I wouldn't think there would be much translation of the string across the saddle in a dual fulcrum design... maybe that is why G&L never standardized it...it wasn't necessary!

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:31 pm

cho wrote:Craig, although both bridges say "custom", the one on reverb right now is distinctly different than the one in the link you sent. The one in the link looks like it has been cut straight across, going through the holes. The one on reverb has not been cut, and, more importantly, has roller saddles on it. It looks very nice. I am tempted to try it, but the price is too high for me...

Also, I am not sure that the roller saddles would do much in this case, since it is a dual fulcrum bridge, and not a bigsby-style bridge. I wouldn't think there would be much translation of the string across the saddle in a dual fulcrum design... maybe that is why G&L never standardized it...it wasn't necessary!

Look further down the thread I posted and you will see photos of the bridge plate unmodified, here's the link to Jos' post in the thread.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:59 pm

Oh, I see it is the same bridge, just different saddles. Very interesting. Thanks.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:06 pm

cho wrote:Oh, I see it is the same bridge, just different saddles. Very interesting. Thanks.

... and different trem block, vibrato arm and arm boss. None of which are G&L parts.

Buyer beware :shock:

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:16 pm

This one has more of black hardware, as the saddles with rollers look dark. The same seller had 2 other bridges for sale. One was a 1st generation Leo Fender Vibrato and another with similar kind of arm socket and saddles with rollers but just chromed. The latter one is on the way and I can show more when I get it. Not sure whether is entirely legit though, but could very well be an experiment in the old days that never got hold of getting in production.

- Jos

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:58 am

For reference, I bought this fine tuner bridge from the same guy a couple weeks ago. If you are interested, he is a great guy and very open to questions. I had been dickering with him for months until he dropped the price then I pounced and got a great price on this thing. I can assure you it's as minty mint as you can get. Not sure what I am going to do with it yet but it has some prime parts in prime condition.

Tom

Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:15 pm

FZTNT wrote:For reference, I bought this fine tuner bridge from the same guy a couple weeks ago. If you are interested, he is a great guy and very open to questions. I had been dickering with him for months until he dropped the price then I pounced and got a great price on this thing. I can assure you it's as minty mint as you can get. Not sure what I am going to do with it yet but it has some prime parts in prime condition.

Tom

I already had some inkling you were the guy who had bought it. ;-)

Just for the parts it is already a good thing to have

- Jos

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:25 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
FZTNT wrote:For reference, I bought this fine tuner bridge from the same guy a couple weeks ago. If you are interested, he is a great guy and very open to questions. I had been dickering with him for months until he dropped the price then I pounced and got a great price on this thing. I can assure you it's as minty mint as you can get. Not sure what I am going to do with it yet but it has some prime parts in prime condition.

Tom

I already had some inkling you were the guy who had bought it. ;-)

Just for the parts it is already a good thing to have

- Jos

Yes Jos,

He originally wanted an outrageous price for it and I made an offer early on which he countered a hundred less. When I saw he dropped the price I re-stated my offer, which was a fair price really, and he accepted. You may never see one of these for sale again unless someone has a stash of them. I might replace the bridge on one of my invaders or wait for an interceptor that needs a better looking replacement. For now it its on my bench in my bag of tricks (well, it's reeky a box) waiting for the right moment to come to life. I really need to get off my ass and finish restoring the G-200 but have to find the right person to do it.

Tom