G&L Chronology

Wed May 10, 2017 5:29 am

Does anyone know if G&L"S webpage is accurate?

http://www.glguitars.com/chronology/index2.asp

I always thought my ASAT was a 90-91. According to this info it's a 1988 model?
Is it possible the guitar went unsold for three years after being built?

Re: G&L Chronology

Wed May 10, 2017 6:51 am

mutts wrote:Does anyone know if G&L"S webpage is accurate?

http://www.glguitars.com/chronology/index2.asp

I always thought my ASAT was a 90-91. According to this info it's a 1988 model?
Is it possible the guitar went unsold for three years after being built?

See: Serial number significance.

You might contact G&L Support and ask if they will look up your serial number to get
the build completion date, which dealer it was shipped to and when it was shipped.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed May 10, 2017 8:14 am

I'm not too sure about the accuracy of that info either.
My SC-1 has a serial number on the bridge of G013899.
Going by that page that would put the production date in 1984 but the SC-1 was only produced through 1983.

Wed May 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Craig, I had seen that link before so I was aware that the best way to verify was removing the neck; I'm reluctant to do so since mostly it's idle curiosity on my part. Perhaps I will try calling G&L though. I did not realize that's an option.

Cheers, Eric

Wed May 10, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi Eric,

There were several changes to the ASAT model in the late '80s and early '90s. If you post some clear photos of the headstock and shots of the body, some of us might be able to narrow the date range for you.

Ken

Thu May 11, 2017 7:01 am

KenC wrote:Hi Eric,

There were several changes to the ASAT model in the late '80s and early '90s. If you post some clear photos of the headstock and shots of the body, some of us might be able to narrow the date range for you.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

This thread has a headstock photo in the first post and body shots near the end.
Feel free to share any insights you may have.

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14360

Thu May 11, 2017 1:22 pm

I have an '89 ASAT that looks just like that one.

Thu May 11, 2017 2:41 pm

drjho7 wrote:I have an '89 ASAT that looks just like that one.

It seems like that was a popular color back then. There is currently an '87 for sale on Reverb too.
I always liked the black crinkle guards.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:13 am

Just to follow up on this thread-

I did end up calling G&L. The first time I never heard back. Called again yesterday and had a reply just a couple hours later. They did confirm the guitar was built in Dec. of '88.
So, at least in my case, the serial number ranges on GL's webpage seem accurate.

Not much other info was available- maple neck and blonde finish. He did say it was denoted "WV" but he didn't know the meaning of that. I suggested "with vibrato" and he agreed that was possible and that would in fact be quite a rare option.

Thanks to Craig for suggesting the call and kudos to GL for getting back to me.
I'm still a bit surprised that my guitar was over three years old when I bought it new...but it's kinda cool that it is a Leo era guitar.