Comanche Studio VI wiring question

Fri May 05, 2017 7:20 am

Hello,
I was looking at the Comanche Studio VI wiring schematic in the knowledge base section and have a question I hope someone can help with.
Looking at the pos, one has two capacitors, .001 and .022 (the units say "K", but I'm pretty sure they mean "u"), pretty standard values, but the other pot has a component labeled 201k, which I'm pretty sure is a varistor. Could that be right? I've never seen a varistor used in guitar wiring, but I won't put anything past the ingenuity of G&L.

Thank you for any help!

All the best,
Bill

Re: Comanche Studio VI wiring question

Fri May 05, 2017 7:53 am

ftbtx wrote:Hello,
I was looking at the Comanche Studio VI wiring schematic in the knowledge base section and have a question I hope someone can help with.
Looking at the pos, one has two capacitors, .001 and .022 (the units say "K", but I'm pretty sure they mean "u"), pretty standard values, but the other pot has a component labeled 201k, which I'm pretty sure is a varistor. Could that be right? I've never seen a varistor used in guitar wiring, but I won't put anything past the ingenuity of G&L.

Thank you for any help!

All the best,
Bill

I think you are talking about the 200pF ceramic capacitor on the volume control. The 'k' is actually not a multiplier but indicates the tolerance, ±10% in this case.

- Jos

Fri May 05, 2017 8:08 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:I think you are talking about the 200pF ceramic capacitor on the volume control. The 'k' is actually not a multiplier but indicates the tolerance, ±10% in this case.

- Jos

Jos,
That makes a whole lot more sense! Thanks so much!

Have a good weekend,
Bill

Mon May 08, 2017 7:03 am

See this article on capacitor marking:

http://www.robotoid.com/appnotes/electr ... kings.html

201K should represent 200pf. 20 followed by 1 zero specified in picofarads

Mon May 08, 2017 7:17 am

Tooslowhand wrote:See this article on capacitor marking:

http://www.robotoid.com/appnotes/electr ... kings.html

201K should represent 200pf. 20 followed by 1 zero specified in picofarads