Help with a G&L SC-3

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Hello,
I am having problems with my G&L SC-3 guitar. I'm hoping maybe someone here can help me out.

I purchased the guitar new in the 80's and have been loving it ever since.

But recently, where the power cord plugs into the guitar starting becoming shaky. It would keep cutting in and out with the amp. Shaking the cord around would fix the issue. At one point I realized that the problem was not the cord but internal.

So I opened it up and one of the wires where the power adapter plugs into was coming loose. Both of them were actually kind of fragile so I re soldered both of them.

Put it back together and now I get no sound at all. I am at the point where I can touch the strings and you can here a thumping coming through the amp, but no music sound.

What can I check for next?? Or try to do.

Thanks for the help.

Carl

Re: Help with a G&L SC-3

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:53 pm

carlg wrote:Hello,
I am having problems with my G&L SC-3 guitar. I'm hoping maybe someone here can help me out.

I purchased the guitar new in the 80's and have been loving it ever since.

But recently, where the power cord plugs into the guitar starting becoming shaky. It would keep cutting in and out with the amp. Shaking the cord around would fix the issue. At one point I realized that the problem was not the cord but internal.

So I opened it up and one of the wires where the power adapter plugs into was coming loose. Both of them were actually kind of fragile so I re soldered both of them.

Put it back together and now I get no sound at all. I am at the point where I can touch the strings and you can here a thumping coming through the amp, but no music sound.

What can I check for next?? Or try to do.

Thanks for the help.

Carl

Carl,

This "sounds" like you might have soldered the wires to the ground lug of the output jack. The non-black wire should go to the signal clip of the jack. Or it is a so-called cold-solder and actually nothing makes contact.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:11 am

Thanks. I will take a look at this when I get home later.

The output jack has 2 ends. Each end has a little hole in it. I wrapped the wires through the little hole on each side and then around and then soldered.

Does it matter which wire goes to which end of the output jack?

One other question if you don't mind. One or two of my wires are getting kind of short. I want to run down to the local Home Depot and get some more wire. What should I look for?

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:02 am

Thanks for all your help.

Turns out I was able to fix it. I had the wires reversed on the output jack. Your post though triggered me to think that may be the problem.

Guitar is now working again!!

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:43 pm

carlg wrote:Thanks for all your help.

Turns out I was able to fix it. I had the wires reversed on the output jack. Your post though triggered me to think that may be the problem.

Guitar is now working again!!

Great! :sign0011:

- Jos