The Interceptor Guitar & Bass: 3rd style Interceptor HSS

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:33 pm

This is part 5 in a 7 part series. As per usual, let me thank Gabe Dellevigne for any and all assistance to make sure it is as accurate as possible! Other installments can be found here:
  1. The Interceptor Guitar & Bass:Introduction and history
  2. The Interceptor Guitar & Bass:1st X-body Interceptor II
  3. The Interceptor Guitar & Bass:1st X-body Interceptor III
  4. The Interceptor Guitar & Bass:2nd X-body Interceptor HH
  5. The Interceptor Guitar & Bass: 3rd style Interceptor SSS
  6. The Interceptor Guitar & Bass: The Interceptor Bass

To satisfy the the existing demand in the marketplace, Dale Hyatt and G&L quickly pivoted to the 3rd and final incarnation of the Interceptor.

This is not to say you wouldn’t be able to buy an X-body Interceptor. As stated in the Introduction, Dale would never forego a good sale. I know that my friend Jeff Gruwell has a beautiful Clear Red X-body Interceptor HH built in 1991 with some interesting changes. It has an 1st style X-body with more wood behind the DFV. Furthermore, there is a Schaller humbucker in the neck but the bridge pickup consist of 2 S-500 pickups combined together; an idea Leo was playing with up to the day he passed away.

But the main offering was a model with a rounded butt, long sharp horns and rear-mounted controls. The 3rd style Interceptor could still be had with 3 single-coil MFDs or 2 Schaller humbuckers as before. But now one could also get it in a new HSS configuration: a Schaller humbucker in the bridge and 2 Skyhawk MFD single-coil pickups in the middle and neck positions. This ad shows the model announced as being ”NEW FOR ’88” and first included in the January 1, 1988 price list:
ImageImageImage

Today’s column will feature 2 Interceptor HSS guitars. Treating them side-by-side allows the discussion of variety of features available on many G&Ls of the day, ranging from vibrato unit to string locking mechanisms to color scheme.

Here are the 2 guitars, a Purple/Black one with a Kahler 2320 flat mount fine-tuner vibrato (S/N G023765) with neck date of SEP 08 1988 and a Tan/Gold Sparkle (S/N G024286) with neck date OCT 12 1988, looking very similar to the instrument featured in the ad slick above (with two main differences discussed below).
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

The only difference is the Leo Fender Vibrato Lock, a neat little thing mainly helpful when you want to change strings because it does not lock the vibrato arm from being pushed down, it's normal mode of operation. Notably, both have the 2nd generation of the Leo Fender Vibrato (aka Leo Fender Fine-Tuner Vibrato) with 2 arm bosses. Also note the featured Tan/God Sparkle Interceptor HSS only has 2 springs, compared to the usual 3 with "copper" spring in the middle, to provide the restoring force.
ImageImage Image

All of my other guitars with a Kahler 2320 unit have the "Black Krome" version; this one is the standard chromed vibrato:
ImageImage

Those familiar with the Invader model will already have noticed that the control lay-out and functionality of the Interceptor is identical to that model. The 3 mini-toggle switches allow each pickup to be turned on or off and otherwise there is just a master volume and master tone control.
ImageImage

These pictures also show the beveling of the edges and the beauty of the 2 color scheme:
ImageImageImage

Back to the wiring, given the simplicity of the electronics the harness is fairly uncomplicated and looks clean:
ImageImage

Both guitars have beautiful rosewood fingerboards on pre-BBE #4 necks, i.e. 25" radius and 1¾" nut width. Definitely more appropriate for guitar pyrotechnics!
ImageImage

The Purple/Black Interceptor with Kahler vibrato has an (after-market) Kahler String Lock Pro installed, which makes string changes a lot easier, and G&L stamped (Schaller) closed tuning machines. The Tan/Gold Sparkle uses Sperzel Locking machines to add tuning stability.
ImageImage

One other main difference with the previous (X-body) Interceptors is the headstock. Ray Ransdell redesigned it by taking off the G&L teat, stylized the lower curve a bit more, and the model logo became more block like. All these changes accentuated the overall "aggressive" look of the model. The headstock on a 2nd X-body Interceptor HH is provided for comparison in the center. This shape headstock was subsequently used on the Invader and all non-Signature Skyhawks and Comanches.
ImageImageImage

The sound of these instruments is amazing: powerful and rocking. Many like the bridge pickup to be hotter but I have grown fond of these Schaller humbuckers which were custom wound for G&L. In my opinion, the good relationship between Leo Fender/Dale Hyatt and Helmut Schaller has been a boon to G&L at many times during its first 10 years of existence. And it should not be overlooked that with about 92 produced, also this version of the Interceptor is exceedingly rare. Unfortunately I have no knowledge how this number breaks down between SSS, HH, and HSS configurations but the Registry and Gallery as of January 2021 shows these numbers and examples:
I might have misattributed one. Nor do I know for sure all examples given in the above list are actually in the Registry! But 6-8 registered 3rd style Interceptors are not that many to begin with.

The next installment features one of the other rare pickup configurations: a 3rd style Interceptor SSS!

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Re: The Interceptor Guitar & Bass: 3rd style Interceptor HSS

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Great posts on the Interceptor Guitars and looking forward to your next posts. :thumbup:
Once you complete your series, I will link your posts in the Rarebird sections for the Interceptors.

:ugeek:

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:25 am

Jos,

This is a good series you have produced discussing the Interceptor guitars. Could you elaborate a little regarding the german made pickups being "custom wound" for Dale. What is the difference in these pick ups compared to stock schallers? I was not aware that Dale knew anything about pickups.

I always found it odd that both Leo Fender with G&L and the guy's building Heritage Guitars in Kalamazoo would choose Schaller pick ups over building their own. I have many guitars with these German made pickups and they can be made to sound good with a little patience and a good amp.

I look forward to your report about the bass version,

y2kc

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:14 pm

y2kc wrote:This is a good series you have produced discussing the Interceptor guitars. Could you elaborate a little regarding the german made pickups being "custom wound" for Dale. What is the difference in these pick ups compared to stock schallers? I was not aware that Dale knew anything about pickups

Howdy Casey,

Of course Dale was not the expert on pickups within G&L. But he was the sales guy after all going around the world attending trade shows including the internationally well-attended Frankfurter Musikmesse, the most likely place where he would have met Helmut Schaller and the 2 men struck up a wonderful relationship. I got that information from Gabe. Helmut started his company a year before Leo, also as a radio repairman. No wonder there was mutual admiration between him and Leo. And as far as the symbiosis between Leo Fender/Dale Hyatt and Helmut Schaller goes I would point to the Leo Fender patented taper-post tuning machines (US Pat. 4,046,050) which were licensed to Schaller.

As far as the Schaller humbucker being custom wound for G&L goes, that informations comes from the List of pickups used in G&L guitars in the Knowledgebase. In the entry for the Schaller humbucker it is stated that "These pickups were wound to Leo's specifications by Schaller. They have an extra wire for coil splitting, but oddly, Leo never used this option on any of his "Superstrat" type guitars. These pickups are typically dark sounding humbuckers and are best suited for overdriven tone." The market was demanding more traditional looking humbuckers and the MFDs used for the F-100, G-200, and Cavalier were just not cutting it. It is funny how many of us don't want to check out something if it doesn't look like something we know already. The whole acceptance of the X-body Interceptor, or lack thereof, is a great example of that even in its 3 single-coil incarnation.

The provided link goes to the modern version of the Schaller humbucker and quotes a DC-impedance of 7.74kΩ for both bridge and neck pickup on the Version tab. Checking the DC-impedance of the Schaller humbuckers on any of my guitars I find a range of 7.73kΩ-8.03kΩ, on par with the quoted 7.9kΩ in the aforementioned List of pickups used in G&L guitars. Whether this give and take .5kΩ is relevant I leave up to your own judgment. It is the best information I have, take it as you will.

Hope this helps,

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:42 pm

Great job on these reports, Jos!

Regarding the Schaller humbucker: I think I've read that Dale assumed buyers would just end up swapping out the stock pickup with their aftermarket HB of choice. G&L was trying to get into the aftermarket pickup arena with the Skyhawk set, right about the same time they decided to go with the Schaller humbucker.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the Interceptor Bass.

Ken

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:06 pm

KenC wrote:Regarding the Schaller humbucker: I think I've read that Dale assumed buyers would just end up swapping out the stock pickup with their aftermarket HB of choice. G&L was trying to get into the aftermarket pickup arena with the Skyhawk set, right about the same time they decided to go with the Schaller humbucker.

Howdy Ken,

Did you know the MFD humbucker could be gotten as a separate item between say 1983 and 1990? The MFD humbucker was listed as PG 210 for a "Guitar Lead" (bridge) pickup and PG 220 for a "Guitar Rhythm" (neck) pickup. They first appear on the June 1, 1983 price list and are last found on the July 1, 1990 price list. And as a low-ender, you might be interested to know the same was true for the L-1000/L-2000 buckers, PB 210 for a "Bass Rhythm" pup and PB 220 for a "Bass Lead" pup, relabeled as LF-1000 and LF-2000, respectively, in the January 1, 1991 price list.

- Jos

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:42 am

Great article Jos! Love that gold one

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:50 pm

Bump. I updated my answer to y2kc's question. Turned out that I was swapping 2 sources. I had been searching all my emails from Gabe and couldn't find a particular statement. And then doing something unrelated, I discovered the proper attribution of that statement.

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks Jos,
I feel smarter :geek:

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:28 am

Another great Interceptor info piece, thanks Jos.

BTW, you mention that the third generation fine tuner bridge in the add has just the single vibrato arm boss. It does appear to have two, just like the one on your Interceptor.

Along those lines, was it actually established that this bridge with the two bosses was intended to be used in either a left or right handed guitar or was there some other not as obvious purpose to the double bosses?

Tom

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:19 pm

FZTNT wrote:Another great Interceptor info piece, thanks Jos.

BTW, you mention that the third generation fine tuner bridge in the add has just the single vibrato arm boss. It does appear to have two, just like the one on your Interceptor.

Tom,

Shows you how my eyes are deteriorating! ;-) But you are right. That is a 2nd generation Leo Fender Vibrato on the Interceptor in the ad as wells as the Tan/Gold Sparkle Interceptor in this thread.

I have updated the OP.

FZTNT wrote:Along those lines, was it actually established that this bridge with the two bosses was intended to be used in either a left or right handed guitar or was there some other not as obvious purpose to the double bosses?

Tom

I do not know the answer to that question. One would only assume to have 2 bosses so it could be used on both left- as well as right-handed guitars.

- Jos

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Jos wrote
Shows you how my eyes are deteriorating! ;-)

Mine have been doing that for some time but my guitars are lookin' better each day!!! Great thread by the way Jos -- Darwin

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:50 pm

One word...

OptiVisor !!

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:22 am

Elwood, I do have a similar product for when working on frets and such! -- Darwin

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:25 pm

I need one of those as well.

Tom

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:13 pm

On a different note, turns out Steve Kellett has not only the Gallery album referenced on the OP but also this YouTube vid featuring his 3rd-style Interceptor HH. Thanks Steve! And great!
phpBB [video]

- Jos

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52 am

Interesting single color Interceptor. Wonder how many were like this?

Tom

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:29 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:The sound of these instruments is amazing: powerful and rocking. Many like the bridge pickup to be hotter but I have grown fond of these Schaller humbuckers which were custom wound for G&L. In my opinion, the good relationship between Dale Hyatt and Günther Schaller has been a boon to G&L at many times during its first 10 years of existence. And it should not be overlooked that with about 92 produced, also this version of the Interceptor is exceedingly rare. Unfortunately I have no knowledge how this number breaks down between SSS, HH, and HSS configurations but the Registry and Gallery at the time of writing shows these numbers and examples:

- Jos

Yeah, I have really been liking the Schaller humbucker in my 87 Invader (HSS). I have had it for 2 years now, and before I even got the guitar in the mail I had a list of about 5 different humbuckers I was ready to swap it out for. But on my A/B test with it and others, I decided to just keep it in. So nice and clear on clean, and it handles OD very well. Also, it is amazingly well balanced in volume with the MFD single coils. Just a good stock pickup all around.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Bump. I had used the wrong first name for Mr Schaller all the time and fixed that. Sorry I couln't fix some quotes in posts of others.

- Jos

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:21 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
FZTNT wrote:Another great Interceptor info piece, thanks Jos.

Tom,

Shows you how my eyes are deteriorating! ;-) But you are right. That is a 2nd generation Leo Fender Vibrato on the Interceptor in the ad as wells as the Tan/Gold Sparkle Interceptor in this thread.

I have updated the OP.

FZTNT wrote:Along those lines, was it actually established that this bridge with the two bosses was intended to be used in either a left or right handed guitar or was there some other not as obvious purpose to the double bosses?

Tom

I do not know the answer to that question. One would only assume to have 2 bosses so it could be used on both left- as well as right-handed guitars.

- Jos

This 1987 Leo Fender Fine Tuner Vibrato Ad Slick posted in our Gallery confirms Jos' assumption on the 2 bosses:

:ugeek:

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:08 pm

Can someone post a photo of a three single coil example of this guitar? Are there any ?

Curious minds are interested,

y2kc

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:41 pm

y2kc wrote:Can someone post a photo of a three single coil example of this guitar? Are there any ?

Curious minds are interested,

y2kc

Casey,

It took me a couple of years but here it is. Check out the new installment on a 1989 3rd style Interceptor SSS!

- Jos

Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:41 pm

This is am amazing account of the ever-morphing Interceptor. I have been looking at these on and off over the years, but only found this account of the Interceptor(s) a couple of days ago.

The search was motivated by me finally getting hold of one. It is a 3rd body style in blue+black (I don't know what sort of blue -- not Bahama and not Viking). It is an HH model. I will add it to the registry when it arrives, but it looks like being a 4th registration of an HH.

I have been looking for pics of the HH, and only found the one (all white, owned by Steve Kellett), but the switch on mine is above the knobs rather than below the knobs (which seems to be standard based on Steve's one and the earlier body shape HH Interceptors). It's a bit of a mystery of colour (not in the catalogues?), control placement (the knobs are also not in a line and rather placed slightly "around" the switch above) and the dates (neck date July 1986, body date December 1987, pots 1985).

Actually, I just found a discussion regarding an X-body Interceptor where the switch has been moved (http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=14981). That also includes an additional knob. If we take away the additional knob and pretend the hole isn't there, the configuration is just like mine (including the slight curvature in knob placement). That seems odd (that the switch in that one has been moved to where mine is, and the knob placement seems marginally different).

Anyway, my question turned into a story. I probably won't get this for a week, so it's all being played out in my mind... and spilled out onto the keyboard! :D My question was whether there will be an additional account of the 3rd body HH model). I've found the Interceptor page on your yowhatsshakin site and it's fantastic. But if there is anything else on this model, obviously I am keen to check it out.

Cheers,

-tony

Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:54 pm

Green Thing wrote:... My question was whether there will be an additional account of the 3rd body HH model). I've found the Interceptor page on your yowhatsshakin site and it's fantastic. But if there is anything else on this model, obviously I am keen to check it out.

Tony,

There will only an additional account when I get one. And you are not selling are you? ;)

- Jos (aka yowhatsshakin)

Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:52 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Green Thing wrote:... My question was whether there will be an additional account of the 3rd body HH model). I've found the Interceptor page on your yowhatsshakin site and it's fantastic. But if there is anything else on this model, obviously I am keen to check it out.

Tony,

There will only an additional account when I get one. And you are not selling are you? ;)

- Jos (aka yowhatsshakin)

:D Ahhh -- Once again, I miss the obvious! :shocked028:

I think it may be a good week before this even arrives... So excited :banana:

I decided a while back that the best way to avoid seller's remorse is not to sell.

:mrgreen:

Great work that you have done on these. It is really appreciated.

Thanks for the reply.

All the best!

-tony