SC-2 from Reverb

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:36 pm

this is unique. I doubt it's an '87, prob '82. ? prototype, didn't know they made any sunbursts with 1st body type.
https://reverb.com/item/4388295-g-l-sc- ... r-sunburst

This was in the PSA subform of the market place but brings up an interesting question. Is this an early (1982) Sc-2 0r what the seller says it is?

Tom

Re: SC-2 from Reverb

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:42 pm

FZTNT wrote:this is unique. I doubt it's an '87, prob '82. ? prototype, didn't know they made any sunbursts with 1st body type.
https://reverb.com/item/4388295-g-l-sc- ... r-sunburst

This was in the PSA subform of the market place but brings up an interesting question. Is this an early (1982) Sc-2 0r what the seller says it is?

Tom

The body color is 3-tone sunburst, not 2 color sunburst as listed in the ad.

It could be an early one, see: early SC-2's in 3-Tone Sunburst in the G&L Registry.

:ugeek:

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:15 pm

Craig wrote:It could be an early one, see: early SC-2's in 3-Tone Sunburst in the G&L Registry.

:ugeek:

Yeah, could be. Until they figured out in Fullerton that Black SC's just sound better ;-)

All kidding aside, beyond Black, Mustang-body SC's were available in Red, White, and Viking Blue. So it would not surprise me if there are a couple of Sunburst SC's too.

- Jos

Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:15 am

Saw this one last week first come up on Music Go Round and then a few days later Reverb. Was very tempted but when I showed to the wife and kids I got the look and the "Do you really need another guitar?" comment again. I have no affiliation but here is my take:

There were definitely SC-2 finished in Sunburst back then. As far as I know it was not a standard color. In my 1985 advertisement that was included with my SC-3 the only colors listed were: Black, Red, and Blue. I can't recall were I read it, but I recall reading Sunburst being offered as standard color in 1984.

The serial number appears to be low. Looks like G008XXX or G006XX. The serial number is on the bridge and not the neck plate. So I definitely think the body is more likely 1982 or early 1983. However, I think the neck is newer probably 1984 or possibly 1985. The reason I believe this is this particular guitar has the sealed Schaller's tuners and not the covered Schaller's. According to GGJaguars's Guitarium the sealed Schaller's were introduced in 1984. From the pictures I cannot tell if the fret markers are different. This was supposedly a change in 1984 as well. So, I suspect this guitar is not all original.

That said, it is a very cool guitar and desirable in my opinion:

1. Uber cool first body style SC-2
2. Rare sunburst finish.
3. Rare saddlelock bridge, appears that only 15-20% of the registered SC-2 from this era have saddlelock bridges.
4. I'd rather have the sealed tuners anyways!

Link to 1984 info:

http://www.ggjaguar.com/sc-2-84.htm

Link to 1982 info:

http://www.ggjaguar.com/sc-2-82.htm

If I hadn't of got the look, I would have jumped on this last week. Heck they just gave me a hard time about it again just now...

BTW, I contacted the store and confirmed it comes with hard-shell case and is fully functional. Whoever, get's it... I'm jealous! It would have been a perfect sibling for my SC-3!

Cheers,
Dan

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:35 am

WitSok wrote:There were definitely SC-2 finished in Sunburst back then. As far as I know it was not a standard color. In my 1985 advertisement that was included with my SC-3 the only colors listed were: Black, Red, and Blue. I can't recall were I read it, but I recall reading Sunburst being offered as standard color in 1984.

These colors are mentioned on a January 3, 1983 price list for the SC-3:

Moving forward in time, the June 1983 price list include "Maple Sunburst" as a color option for the SB- and SC-series:
So actually it was a fairly early option, certainly before the cut-over to the new body shape.

- Jos

Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:17 am

Very tempting. I really want one with a saddle lock as well. This SC-2 was posted for sale here a couple of years ago, so there are a few bursts out there .If you hit play mute it.
phpBB [video]

Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:35 pm

I see that this was sold yesterday, February 28th. Hope someone here got it. I'm looking forward to seeing NGD pictures!

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:43 pm

I don't see any reason to think it's not original. Checking the G&Ls I have on the wall that were built between '81 and '84, I see three different types of tuners: unsealed with a Schaller logo, unsealed with a G&L logo, and sealed with a G&L logo. The earliest example, an F-100 from January '81, has unsealed tuners with a Schaller logo. My G-200, which was from November '81, has sealed tuners with a G&L logo. So does an S-500 from July '82. The sealed G&L-branded tuners were definitely in use prior to 1984.

The three first-style SCs I checked have unsealed tuners. Two have them with Schaller logos, and the other has G&L logos. I also checked a second-style SC-2 from February '84, which has sealed G&L logo tuners.

I think this is probably a case of whatever was nearby being used on the SCs, with a preference for using up leftover tuners from the earliest F-100 production. I doubt the factory would have left SC instruments sitting uncompleted while somebody looked for older tuners. The newer ones went on, and the guitar was shipped. I would guess that all of the unsealed tuners had been used by the beginning of '84.

As far as sunbursts go, I have seen two different versions on Leo-era SC and SB series instruments. I used to own a sunburst SB-2 from August '83. That bass had a very deep, high gloss finish over flamed maple. The neck was also very glassy high gloss over flamed maple. My SB-1 from January '86 is also sunburst over a lightly flamed maple body, but the finish is matte (so much that the flame does not "pop"). When I look at the finish closely, it's obvious that it didn't get the number of clear coats that my "professional" level G&Ls from that period received, and wasn't sanded or buffed as much either.

I haven't seen a sunburst SC-2 in person yet, but all of the close-up photos I've seen suggest that their finishes were more like my '86 SB-1 than any of the other Leo-era sunbursts I've seen.

Ken

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:16 pm

I should have been more clear. I don't doubt sealed tuners were used before 1984. My point was according GGJaguar's Guitarium, sealed tuners were not introduced on the SC series until 1984 (2nd body style). I would expect they would use up the lower cost tuners on the SC series even if they made the switch on the "professional models" already. I don't see them throwing them away. So it would make perfect sense that both were used during the same period but probably on different models. In the registry, the one example of a sunburst 1st body style SC-2 with sealed tuners has very different dates for the body and neck.

G014159 SC-2 Neck Date = JUN 31, 1984 Body Date = SEP 21, 1982 Three-tone Sunburst 1st Body Style, Small Fretboard Markers, Sealed Tuners, Flame Maple Two Piece Body

So, I think it is reasonable to think it might not be all original. Maybe it is, maybe it's not. But, to be honest it doesn't matter to me. If I had been given the OK from the family, I would have bought it even though I think it might not be all original. I still think it is cool guitar, and I think someone is getting a great instrument. I hope it is someone here who can shed more light on this specimen.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:26 pm

My friend bought this one. I don't think he's a G&LDP member, but he's definitely an enthusiast. His main axe is a blue SC-1. I haven't played this sunburst one yet.

He got me into this G&L addiction, darn it.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:40 am

Here's another odd SC-2 on Reverb. I have no idea what color that would be. The ad doesn't say it's a refin.

https://reverb.com/item/4831066-vintage ... ce=ios-app

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:48 am

Submersible wrote:Here's another odd SC-2 on Reverb. I have no idea what color that would be. The ad doesn't say it's a refin.

I think that one is in a color called Bahama Blue. I have a later SC-3 in that color:
ImageImage

Bahama Blue was not a standard color for the SC-series but always available upon request. The standard "Blue" used for the series in better known as Viking Blue and much lighter in hue.

- Jos

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:29 pm

Submersible wrote:Here's another odd SC-2 on Reverb. I have no idea what color that would be. The ad doesn't say it's a refin.

Wish it had the saddle lock bridge though...

Tom

Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:41 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Submersible wrote:The standard "Blue" used for the series in better known as Viking Blue and much lighter in hue.

I've got a first body style SC-2 in Viking Blue and it almost looks like seafoam green now, but it's faded unevenly. Looks cool.