got lucky on valentines day

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:02 pm

early '84 Skyhawk that had been sitting around on reverb for 3 months+.
I made a low bid that was, to my surprise, accepted.
from Killer Vintage guitars in St. Louis. Nice people there, very helpful.
looks like a single owner instrument. very little wear on the OHSC and guitar.
they sent me original owners manual with pic of Leo, 2 packs of new strings, an old leather strap, new strings on the guitar and 2 case keys!
the guitar itself is in very good condition, mild nicks and dings, mild fretwear, simply beautiful.
I saw one of these at a blues festival last summer and thought it was striking. not unlike the broadcaster to come, re: finish, gold lettering, etc.
love the matching headstock finish and gold lettering.
it has one of those stripy ebony fretboards that is also beautiful.
has original vibrato arm, and tension screw. often missing in guitars of this era.
cool pickups, pickguard shape , and control plate layout, black crinkle plate, sufficiently different from a strat to attract my attention.
there are 2 body dates: 11/83 and 12/83, and neck date is 1/14/84, so this is likely an early skyhawk, s/p nighthawk name change.
the neck is stamped #3, but to my eye, it has a 7.5 in fretboard radius, not a 12, and 1 and 5/8 in nut width, so I believe it is a #2, mislabeled.
it sets up nicely. I am totally pleased. I attached a few basement shots, sorry for my photographic incompetence.

Re: got lucky on valentines day

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:14 pm

oh, one more thing, I am not sure of the body wood, looks like it could be ash or maple or even alder, not mahog.
any ideas on the body wood?

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:48 pm

drjho7 wrote:oh, one more thing, I am not sure of the body wood, looks like it could be ash or maple or even alder, not mahog.
any ideas on the body wood?
Cool Skyhawk!!
I'd guess Maple. Also the #3 refers to the employee who worked on the neck IIRC.

Congrats on a slick deal,
Elwood

Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:09 am

Great score!! Congrats!!

- Jos

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:09 am

That thing looks awesome ! Nice get . Looking forward to a tone report....

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:32 am

Congrats! :happy0065:

Enjoy

Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:06 pm

Nice guitar. I have been watching that one too but already have a Nighthawk and was waiting for a Skyhawk or Superhawk in better shape. The price was not too bad as it was so great score, congrats.

Tom

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:06 pm

Thx, Tom, this must have been one of the 1st ones off the bench after the nighthawks were discontinued. I'd presume same pups and wiring then.
Plays and sounds nice, haven't played it through a big amp at band volume yet. My only c/o is crackly static on the pickguard, s/o poor shielding. That's a G&L thing. Something G&L should try harder at, as it's still an issue with the newer guitars. Not an issue with my SC-2, F-100 (no pickguard) or my ASAT - metal pickguard!
Thx, Sam, glvourot, Jos!
Thx Elwood, wonder who #3 was? My ASAT is stamped #2, I assumed that was the neck.

Any advantage to copper vs aluminum tape for the shielding job? I have used the aluminum before, but results were partial improvement, not resolution.