Pickup cover investigation. Help needed!

Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:44 am

For years I have been trying to make my dream guitar. Behold! This is an ASAT special deluxe with a rare "angled offset" humbucker in the bridge.

Unfortunately, The pickup cover was black. I attempted to spray paint it white, but as you can see, the sweat from my hand has corroded it.

Here is the challenge! I know this is a super long shot, but I was hoping some of you G&L experts might be able to provide any leads into how I can get a replacement cover in white.

I understand that cavaliers with white covers were only available for like a minute in time.

Does anyone have any information that might point me in the right direction? Some strange source possessing rare parts aside, is there a service to make custom plastic molds or 3d prints or defunct guitar parts?

Anyone? I would love to put the crown jewel on this one of a kind asat :)

Thanks in advance for any info you may have!

Blake

Re: Pickup cover investigation. Help needed!

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:10 pm

So this guitar came with a white pickup in the neck position and a blacken the bridge position? Or have you been changing pickups?

BTW, it's a stunning looking guitar with the triple white binding so I understand why you want matching covers. Unfortunately I have no answer for your dilemma, but have you considered going with black covers? Might not be exactly as good looking but at least they would match.

There are also very specific paints for use on plastic. Is this the type of paint you used? I do like the 3-D printing angle. They are getting more and more available and user friendly. Maybe you can find a fabrication shop that could build one for you for a reasonable price.

Have you contacted G&L to see what their options may be?

Looking good,

Tom

Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Hey Tom,

Nah, I got this with 2 single coil MFD's, and then I was lucky enough to get my hands on an offset humbucker from a cavalier. I thought I got the right paint, but maybe i'll try painting it again. Does anyone know how to make it sweat-proof? Maybe I should try a polymer spray on top?

I have. G&L won't make me one. I find it hard to believe that they don't have the blueprints to those old covers. They're still making MFD covers. I imagine it would not be hard to make it happen but they were of no help.

I'll look into 3D printing. I wonder if anyone knows a place that specifically deals in 3D printing guitar plastic parts.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:20 pm

I recently painted a guitar and used gloss ultra clear Rustoleum Enamel (3.99 at Home Depot).
This is a cheap strat import so I was happy to take a chance on melting the covers...but it turned out fine !

I'd test it on a corner on the bottom just the same before taking a chance on something with a little historic value.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:52 pm

Heh, melt? Is enamel paint known for being hot?

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:32 pm

Well..some solvents can break the molecular bonds..so yeah, sorta like heat :think: