SkyHawk and Roland GK3

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:21 am

Hi.

I've got an 80's G&L Skyhawk that I've been trying out with the Roland GK3 pickup, attached using dbl-sided tape. I'm pleased overall with this combination and am considering mounting the GK3 permanently.

I'm wondering -

Has anyone else done this? (I would like to hear your experience.)

Does anyone happen to have a picture(s) of the SkyHawk with the pickguard removed? (I'd like to know if there is wood under there btw the bridge PU and the bridge/trem to screw into. I'd prefer not to have to do a complete disassembly to find out if that is not necessary.)

My thanks to anyone who can provide me information here!

- sj

Re: SkyHawk and Roland GK3

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:54 am

sj1 wrote:Hi.

I've got an 80's G&L Skyhawk that I've been trying out with the Roland GK3 pickup, attached using dbl-sided tape. I'm pleased overall with this combination and am considering mounting the GK3 permanently.

I'm wondering -

Has anyone else done this? (I would like to hear your experience.)

Does anyone happen to have a picture(s) of the SkyHawk with the pickguard removed? (I'd like to know if there is wood under there btw the bridge PU and the bridge/trem to screw into. I'd prefer not to have to do a complete disassembly to find out if that is not necessary.)

My thanks to anyone who can provide me information here!

- sj

Welcome to our site! :wave:

G&L did design and built atleast one midi guitar (prototype) in 1984. See: Skyhawk Roland Synth and Roland Synth prototype Skyhawk.

Also, one of our members here (darwinohm) added a Roland GR20 Synth to a Legacy, see: Legacy-- Roland GR 20 Synth.

Your Skyhawk should have individual pickup routes, please post a photo of you guitar. See: Tutorial: Posting photos.
Also, add all your G&L instruments to our G&L Registry, too,

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:55 pm

SJ, I have had the GK3 on an American Tele for two years and had mounted it with 3M permanent mounting tape thinking I could remove it easily if I wanted. I removed it about a month ago and it was difficult to remove. I wouldn't recommend permanent mounting unless you have no intention of selling the guitar. The 3M tape was very stable and nothing moved during the two years it was installed on the Tele. The GR-20 Is a cool rig and I will eventually mount it on something else once I have decided on which guitars I am keeping. The G&L Legacy I originally installed it on was sold with the GR-20. I found another used GR-20 very reasonable.

I have been selling guitars recently as I had too many. I am trying to get down to about 30 to 35 that I want to keep and I may mount it on an ASAT, I just haven't decided. I would avoid doing anything permanent to the Skyhawk. -- Darwin.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Does your Skyhawk have the two piece metal pickguard/control cover, or a one piece plastic ply?
Here's a pic of my Skyhawk bridge area with the guard(plastic) removed-

I'd do my best to come up with a solid mounting that didn't require drilling, that said, I've had guitars that the GK3 only worked
really well when it was mounted with screws and the little springs to make adjustments easy.

Got any pics on hand?
...ans Welcome! :)
Elwood

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:48 am

My thanks to those who posted!

My pickguard is one-piece plastic. I have pics, but don't see a way to upload them here.

From the above I see that there should be wood available to hold screws if I decide to go that way.

Since sticking (!) with dbl-sided tape (DST) was recommended, and I understand why, I wonder what "level" of DST would be best? The 2lb. kind? The 5lb. kind? Something else? (What came in the baggie is too weak! <g>).

The hex PU wants to bow in the middle, so I would have to use DST strong enough to prevent that. So strong that it would never come off, or be destructive if removal were attempted would also be not good.

Where should I aim to hit the sweet spot?

Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:33 am

sj1 wrote: I have pics, but don't see a way to upload them here.

As I have posted previously, See: Tutorial: Posting photos.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:05 am

SJ, I used the 2LB and it is very stable. I recommend as close to the bridge as possible. The pickup center will be held very well. I assume you have the installation and calibration instructions for the GK3. Just make sure that you installation height is correct and the calibration will take care of everything else after you have set you pickup to string clearances. -- Darwin

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:51 pm

Elwood wrote:Does your Skyhawk have the two piece metal pickguard/control cover, or a one piece plastic ply?
Here's a pic of my Skyhawk bridge area with the guard(plastic) removed-

I'd do my best to come up with a solid mounting that didn't require drilling, that said, I've had guitars that the GK3 only worked
really well when it was mounted with screws and the little springs to make adjustments easy.

Got any pics on hand?
...ans Welcome! :)
Elwood

Love the Dale in your pick up routing Elwood
Very cool
Anthony