used to like brunettes...

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:40 pm

but now, got a thing for blonde. butterscotch blonde.
been watching this one on reverb for awhile. price drop, then a 15% sale, moved into my zone.
was advert as a 1988, prob based on serial #, but dates are interesting, looks like a feb '89 neck and a sept '86 or '88 body!
hard to read the body date, but that's my best call. '88 would make more sense
looks like ash body, beautiful rosewood board with some subtle reds in it.
cool 80's black krinkle plates and SLB, and black tuners.
Usual dings and chips at the edges, but in remarkably good condition, cleaned up nice, sounds great as expected from my favorite pup's. perfect string alignment. nice sustain. electronics all good. neck very nice, just a touch of relief. will neck tilt it a little and raise the saddles a little in a few weeks after it gets used to me. here's a few indoor pic's...

Re: used to like brunettes...

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:14 pm

Very nice. The body color is Blonde not Butterscotch Blonde, though. Butterscotch Blonde did not come out until 1998.
I have updated your registry entry.

:thumbup:

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:53 pm

John very nice looker :thumbup: I have her sister about the same age and that is one that will stay with me. Enjoy

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:40 pm

A fine looking ASAT !! :happy0065:

Congrats on the deal.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Congrats! I agree it's probably an ash body. The body date stamp looks like '88 to me. Also, as far as I can tell from the pics it looks like a White finish. Blonde would have visible ash grain showing through the finish. I have a couple of White G&Ls from the '80s and they all have that same creamy look.

Ken

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:31 pm

sam wrote:John very nice looker :thumbup: I have her sister about the same age and that is one that will stay with me. Enjoy

I have the younger one... my first G&L as well... you can see it in my avatar... ;)

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:13 am

Patience was rewarded ! Great looking guitar. Mine is also a close relative, but you have a nicer case with yours. Enjoy.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:32 am

Very nice looking guitar, Congrats!!
Not sure on the color either. I know the blond would be a clearish finish and the grain would show through. It almost looks like you can see the grain in the first pics but then again, elsewhere it looks solid.

So, what is the model of this ASAT? Is it straight unjust ASAT or is it a special or some other sub species? It is good looking...

Tom

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:38 am

Beautiful guitar! Nice score!

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:50 am

FZTNT wrote:Very nice looking guitar, Congrats!!
Not sure on the color either. I know the blond would be a clearish finish and the grain would show through. It almost looks like you can see the grain in the first pics but then again, elsewhere it looks solid.

So, what is the model of this ASAT? Is it straight unjust ASAT or is it a special or some other sub species? It is good looking...

Tom

It's the ASAT. See this post in the G&L Knowledgebase: List of Regular Production ASAT-style guitars (USA).

I too, see grain showing in a couple of John's photos. I still believe the color is Blonde because White was not a listed color for the ASAT, see: Ad Slicks and Memorabilia in our Gallery.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:53 am

Mine looks really white... but she's younger, around '93...

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:23 pm

meursault wrote:Mine looks really white... but she's younger, around '93...

It wasn't until 1992 that all colors were made available for all G&L instruments. See: Album: 1992-93 Catalog, reference Page 1.

Hope this helps.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Thx for the info, Craig, I agree, probably "blonde". I had seen a similar ASAT that's available on reverb now with an ebony board that was advertised as "butterscotch blonde" but, certainly isn't the same butterscotch as say, an early 50's Tele, or Sam's solamente.

Ken, you can see the grain through the finish, just doesn't show well in the pics. Also has some yellowing of the finish which doesn't show in the pics.

Sam, meursault, and glvourot, sounds like our ASAT's are soul sisters from 80's-90's!

Thx, Tom, cho and Elwood. I like the 80's neck. The fretboards are relatively thin on the 80's G&L's. 2 mm. Same on my F-100. Most of my other gtrs with rosewood boards are at least 3-4 mm thick. Anything to this?
It's nice to own one of the post-broadcaster 80's ASAT's. They got that one right!

Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:30 am

Nice Guitar. i'm sure that ASAT will do great playing whatever you want it to.

Have fun with it.

-Bill

Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:55 am

Craig wrote:
meursault wrote:Mine looks really white... but she's younger, around '93...

It wasn't until 1992 that all colors were made available for all G&L instruments. See: Album: 1992-93 Catalog, reference Page 1.

Hope this helps.

How interesting !!! I thought the asat became the asat special to avoid confusion with the classic !!... but they both appeared in the same catalog !...

By itself, my asat is the best sounding by far... it's my fav'... but strangely, in a band situation the classic and the sc2 cut trough better... in studio i played mostly the asat, that's the one you can hear on our last album...

Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:07 am

Beautiful !! .... looks brand new , also agree on body date of 88 , or it least my eyes tell me that

Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Nice guitar , very nice . I was talking to Gabe amongst other things about being in the market for that exact guitar model . Enjoy that one !

Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:41 pm

LeoFThe Champion wrote:Nice guitar , very nice . I was talking to Gabe amongst other things about being in the market for that exact guitar model . Enjoy that one !

Is Gabe still around here ?? ..great guy and very knowledgeable !!

Great looking guitar there ! I'm curious about the finish on the neck, obviously yours is fine. A friend of mine has an early ASAT, but the neck is very sticky. I was tempted to get the steel wool after it :shock:

-best,
Mike

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi Mike, the finish on the neck is a light gloss, not sticky. I like it.

LeoFTC, there is an '87 ASAT, same finish and hardware, ebony fingerboard, on reverb currently. It's a little more beat up than mine, and there aren't as many pictures. I think the price is too high but that could be bartered. Has been listed for 4 months.

Thanks, Eric. It is in pretty good shape. A few chips and dings add personality. I like the tilt neck feature, the neck is setting up pretty well so far. No business card shim needed!

Thanks, Bill. It is very versatile gtr, great for blues, but also great for most rock app's thru the proper amp. Love the pup's. I had an ASAT special trib series that i just loved, couldn't bear to sell it so i gave it to my oldest son who is a fine guitarist. I do like the 80's neck better than that on the trib.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:04 am

John,

I have one word for you: "Yum!!"

Gorgeous Blonde indeed.

- Jos

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:56 pm

Love those old black crinkle pickguards, control plates, and Saddle-Lock bridges. Wish they would bring them back. What a stunning ASAT! Enjoy that beauty.

Cheers, Dan

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:44 am

Guitar Center has one in butterscotch, or natural, or something :? . Looks nice regardless. Blank crinkle hardware, etc. and maple board. If you look closely, you can see the Leo sig on the headstock. Their current price is not too far above what these have been going for, so you have some room to negotiate, I think (but it might not have a case :( ).
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/GL/ASAT-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112725793.gc

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:59 am

Blondes definitely have more fun!

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:04 pm

tomanche wrote:Guitar Center has one in butterscotch, or natural, or something :? . Looks nice regardless. Blank crinkle hardware, etc. and maple board. If you look closely, you can see the Leo sig on the headstock. Their current price is not too far above what these have been going for, so you have some room to negotiate, I think (but it might not have a case :( ).
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/GL/ASAT-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112725793.gc

That I believe is the butterscotch blond. You can definitely see the grain.

It's funny, a couple times I have called guitar center to haggle over price they always have told me they don't haggle and the price is what it is. What have other folks experienced in this manner?

Tom

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:41 pm

That one at GC looks like Natural Gloss over swamp ash to me. They've gradually changed their position over negotiating prices. A couple of years back it was up to the store manager, then they only had some wiggle room on tax and shipping. Lately it seems that everything is set in stone. I've also noticed that lately they have not been able/willing to do layaways on used gear.

Ken

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:46 pm

FZTNT wrote:It's funny, a couple times I have called guitar center to haggle over price they always have told me they don't haggle and the price is what it is. What have other folks experienced in this manner?

Yes, that has been my experience, as well. A couple years ago, you could get free shipping, but now, they don't seem to negotiate and they charge shipping, even if you choose to pick up at a local guitar center.

Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:31 pm

cho, yours is a beauty as well, very close in age, would say late '86 or '87 with that headstock decal, and the triple string retainer? Also ebony board? Nice!

the GC price on that ASAT is pretty good, suspect no case. they don't give much info. agree, probably natural gloss, nice grain.

Thx Jos and Dan, I especially like the rosewood board with hints of red. Beautiful contrast with the body and hardware.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:39 am

VERY NICE INDEED! I have one exactly like yours right down to the signature on the head stalk other than the color. I bought mine new in Fairbanks AK back in early 1990. I had to wait nearly three months to get it. I had ordered it in red but when it came in it was purple. I know this is not very common and I'm not sure that purple was a choice that year but that's what color it came to me in and according to the serial# it is a 1989 model. Maybe someone one on here can clear me up on this, I played it out many years up until I gave the bar and club seen up. I still play it occasionally and I wouldn't give it up for nothing. It's absolutely the best playing guitar I've ever owned and the sound is nothing less than spectacular. When I was in search of a new guitar I had been trying the Fender Tele's and was set on one until I found the ASAT then I fell in love. It's been years sense I've been on this sight but I'm retired now and find more time for leisure. Not up on none of the new stuff but can't imagine it playing or sounding any better than what I already have. Congrats on your new/old ASAT, great find!

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:51 pm

Country Boy wrote:VERY NICE INDEED! I have one exactly like yours right down to the signature on the head stalk other than the color. I bought mine new in Fairbanks AK back in early 1990. I had to wait nearly three months to get it. I had ordered it in red but when it came in it was purple. I know this is not very common and I'm not sure that purple was a choice that year but that's what color it came to me in and according to the serial# it is a 1989 model. Maybe someone one on here can clear me up on this, I played it out many years up until I gave the bar and club seen up. I still play it occasionally and I wouldn't give it up for nothing. It's absolutely the best playing guitar I've ever owned and the sound is nothing less than spectacular. When I was in search of a new guitar I had been trying the Fender Tele's and was set on one until I found the ASAT then I fell in love. It's been years sense I've been on this sight but I'm retired now and find more time for leisure. Not up on none of the new stuff but can't imagine it playing or sounding any better than what I already have. Congrats on your new/old ASAT, great find!

Wow! I would love to see your purple ASAT! Please post pics!!

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:52 pm

Country Boy wrote:VERY NICE INDEED! I have one exactly like yours right down to the signature on the head stalk other than the color. I bought mine new in Fairbanks AK back in early 1990. I had to wait nearly three months to get it. I had ordered it in red but when it came in it was purple. I know this is not very common and I'm not sure that purple was a choice that year but that's what color it came to me in and according to the serial# it is a 1989 model. Maybe someone one on here can clear me up on this, I played it out many years up until I gave the bar and club seen up. I still play it occasionally and I wouldn't give it up for nothing. It's absolutely the best playing guitar I've ever owned and the sound is nothing less than spectacular. When I was in search of a new guitar I had been trying the Fender Tele's and was set on one until I found the ASAT then I fell in love. It's been years sense I've been on this sight but I'm retired now and find more time for leisure. Not up on none of the new stuff but can't imagine it playing or sounding any better than what I already have. Congrats on your new/old ASAT, great find!

thx, country boy! would love to see some pics of the '90 ASAT, please post. :sign0005:

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:56 am

Thanks, I will get some pics on here as soon as I can figure out how to do it. It's been a while LOL :think:

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:04 am

Country Boy wrote:Thanks, I will get some pics on here as soon as I can figure out how to do it. It's been a while LOL :think:

In the Welcome! Read This First we have a link to Tutorial: Posting photos.
Please do post a new thread for your ASAT.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:30 pm

I get it regarding blondes....here's my favorite guitar ever (and I've had too many to count). It goes with me to every gig...

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:41 pm

nice lookin S-500, fenderfan. i bet it sounds as nice as it looks!
i have a strat that looks just like it, '07 usa, oly white/maple/tort guard and probably the nicest neck in my stable.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:59 am

Thanks, John O. The one characteristic of mine which doesn't show up well in that photo is that the finish is a beautiful Mary Kaye blonde, with the grain showing through. Great to look at, and a joy to play, with just the tone options I need in my surf band.