F-100 listed as a prototype - new thread

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:22 pm

Craig asked for this to become a new thread instead of hijacking a "Price of Broadcasters" discussion, so here it goes.

Tom wrote:

I looked at the F-100 at the link provided. Do you know any more about this guitar? What makes it a prototype? It is in fine condition I must say. I also notice that it has the string through saddle lock bridge which I believe to be somewhat rare. It also has hex pole piece pickups rather that the earlier slotted design. So, how does that work, when did they start using the hex type and stop with the slotted type? Another thing, where would the serial number be?

Anyway, if anyone knows more about this guitar and its options please chime in. Or, start a new thread maybe?

Unlike other prototypes that have seen the light of day, this is a finished guitar with all of the regular production details (for example, complete finish rather than sanding sealer, and headstock decal). I thought at first it might have just been a very early demo sent to a dealer, but after looking more closely at the photos it has a couple of unusual features. First, the pickups have large hex key pole pieces, rather than the slotted pole pieces that were found on early production F-100s. This seems to be a parallel to the L-1000 pickup, which had large hex key pole pieces in 1980 and changed to slots the following year. It also has a headstock decal stating "Series E-II" instead of the normal "Series II". I've never seen an early F-100 with a preamp, so I'm not sure whether this was typical.

Everthing else I see seems normal for an '80 F-100, such as the string-through bridge, control layout, large fret markers, string tree, skunk stripe, etc.

Ken

Re: F-100 listed as a prototype - new thread

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:23 pm

Here's the link to the ad: http://guitars.com/inventory/ez5297-gl-f-100-prototype.

Ken

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:37 pm

I don't see a serial number on the bridge, that would be a good question to the seller.
The other thing I noticed is the skunk strip is a very tan wood, like a light walnut. All my other
skunk stripe G&L's have one that looks like rosewood.
I have any early F-100 that is similar, but not active, and has slotted polepieces.
It does have a light skunk stripe .
I guess I know what guitar gets to be a photo model next.

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:05 am

Elwood wrote:I don't see a serial number on the bridge, that would be a good question to the seller.

i also noticed that and there is no G&L on it. So, perhaps this is the "prototype" part of the guitar. Oh, and per the Ad:
"with original cardboard shipping box labeled prototype". I'd want more documentation for proof. :think:

Here's my 1981 F-100:

Note: previous owner replaced the stock tuners with Grover tuners.

:ugeek:

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:55 am

Craig wrote: Here's my 1981 F-100:

That's almost the spittin' image of mine. Even down to the light cinnamon colored skunk stripe.
I'll try for pics today.

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:20 am

My F-100 has the vibrato bridge with serial number and slotted pole pieces in the pickups. Now that you mention it, mine also has a rather light tinted skunk stripe.

I too don't remember seeing an active F-100, or E model. Wonder what it sounds like. If it doesn't change the tone it might be real serious considering my F-100 screams as it is. I have broken dishes.

Craig, yours looks nice, I might like to get one with a hardtail too. Right now though there are just too many guitars out there for sale that I want but prices are a bit high. This particular F-100 would be a nice addition but they are asking quite a bit more than it is probably worth. I am also not to partial to burst finishes but this one isn't so bad.

Tom

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:44 am

on my Cavalier E it doesn't change the tone ...... it's more for playing with a roll of 50ft or more output cable (pre-wireless days) with out affecting tone from having so much cable

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:52 am

I have an active F-100, it's a great onboard option.
You can boost a bit for a solo or to overdrive the first preamp tube, but as Fumble mentions..it takes the cable capacitance
out of the sonic picture, even with short cables it's a plus if you want that full spectrum of frequencies coming through.
(or you can buy a Zaolla cable for only $199, they do make a difference :crazy: )

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:04 am

Elwood wrote:I have an active F-100, it's a great onboard option.

Does your F-100's headstock decal include "E" in the series?

Ken

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:15 am

KenC wrote:
Elwood wrote:I have an active F-100, it's a great onboard option.

Does your F-100's headstock decal include "E" in the series?

Ken

yup, it does. I think it's an '84. I've yet to look in the neck pocket.
I'll have to get it back from my drummer (he likes the G&L's ) for pics.

Did I mention it's black? :elguitar054:

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:20 am

Understood on the E thing and cable length. I thought I read sometime that G&L did make a preamp circuit that did affect tone on purpose. Can't remember what model it was but I think it either rolled off the bass or boosted bass. I could be crazy but I thought there were discussions to this point...I could also be thinking Music Man as they had quite run with E guitars.

Tom