The search for Broadcasters

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:54 am

Hello,

My name is y2kc and I am a G&L addict.

One year ago this coming Saturday, I placed an ad in the Marketplace stating I was looking for G&L Broadcasters. I want to thank Craig for allowing this ad to remain in place for that long of a period.

Since October 22,2015 I have received zero response to that ad. Not one response in 363 days. Heck I forgot the ad was even there. It seems folks are willing to sell just about every other G&L except their beloved Broadcasters.

For me this answers the question about "holy Grail" G&L guitars. The Broadcaster is King.

take care,

y2kc

Re: The search for Broadcasters

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:41 am

Accepting your addiction is the first step to saying "F--k it!" and buying more G&Ls! ;-)

Did you see this recent sale on ebay? Someone got a nice deal! Anyone here at GBL pick it up?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322282834923

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:07 pm

There are 2 on Reverb.

- Jos

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:45 pm

Jos,

My point is that folks here on this site seem to be keeping them close to their hearts. Outside of the Marketplace there has been a consistent trickle of available Broadcasters. I think the folks here know a good thing when they play it.

I have seen the two on Reverb.The maple board example is nice while the ebony example is way over priced for me.

Still looking and buying,

Y2kc

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:21 pm

I've lost count of how many Leo-era G&Ls I've been through, but it somewhere around forty. Quite a few rarebirds in that mix, some of them with only a handful built...Cavalier E, pre-production ASAT III with Skyhawk pups, ASAT III with an HG humbucker, pre-production L-1K and ASAT Classic Signature, and such. I have yet to actually see a Broadcaster in person. That's how tightly owners are holding onto them.

One of my absolute keepers is an ASAT from the change-over period when both decals were being used. That is one of the best guitars I have ever played. That and a certain red SC-1.

Enjoy the hunt!

Ken

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:46 am

Ken,

You will run into a Broadcaster somewhere down the road. They are very cool guitars. The fact that the guitar lives up to the hype is great. Dale and company really constructed a fine guitar to have Leo sign off on.

y2kc

Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:04 pm

y2kc wrote:Jos,

My point is that folks here on this site seem to be keeping them close to their hearts. Outside of the Marketplace there has been a consistent trickle of available Broadcasters. I think the folks here know a good thing when they play it.

I have seen the two on Reverb.The maple board example is nice while the ebony example is way over priced for me.

Still looking and buying,

Y2kc

Those two Broadcasters on Reverb are probably about right priced for what they are. Certainly within the vintage price guide estimates. Interesting note: Both these guitars have a "born on date" of my birthday, 8-28. Not the same year as mine but still somewhat of an attraction for me above the obvious reasoning for buying such a guitar. I think that if you are waiting for someone on this forum placing an add in the market place for a minty Broadcaster for $1K you might wait a very long time. I search constantly for Broadcasters and I already have two. I am thinking of starting to hit the pawn shops, anyone have any good success stories about pawn shop finds, Broadcaster or otherwise?

Tom

Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:39 am

Tom,

Congrats on your two Broadcasters.They are nice guitars.

It is one year to the date that I posted my ad looking for Broadcasters. Trying to get a mint broadcaster for $1000.00 was not my goal. I personally find it rewarding that the Broadcaster has become somewhat of a "keeper" in the eye's of other players and collectors. When I stated collecting I was able to get mint examples for $1000.00. Nobody wanted them.

I have never found a Broadcaster in a pawn shop but experience tells me that if you look hard enough, you will find one. I have more than my share of pre-bbe G&L's and found most of them just using a phone and calling music stores. Back then folks just wanted to get rid of them.

The two Broadcasters on Reverb are still available. This tells me that the public is not ready to set those prices to those guitars. I wish the public would prove me wrong but they are still available as of this morning.

Historic significance combined with killer tone make the Broadcaster the G&L guitar that will always be sought after. The classic tele shape, the limited amount made and the connection to Leo Fender are the keys to this guitar rising in value. When the public is ready for a significant rise in price is anyones guess.

As Gabe would say, just my 2 cents,

y2kc

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:54 pm

Y2, I here you buddy and the $1K was just a number I pulled out my arse as an example.You are right in that the market will tell if the current pricing on those two guitars will hold. The one has already been dropped almost in half since first listed. The vintage blue book would price an absolute mint BC at right around $3.5K and that is strictly retail. One of mine is in about the same condition and it was significantly lower priced. You could probably negotiate down to an eve $3K on that one on Reverb.

I think your reasoning about the attraction of this guitar is spot on and also find it cool that about 35% of production Broadcasters are registered on this site. I would wonder how that stacks up with other limited release guitars. Maybe some math genius with nothing better to do could figure it out...?

One thing for sure, I continue to look for Broadcasters as well as other Leo era guitars. My collection is short one Early Cavalier, maybe even an E model, an early Interceptor and a G-200. I also look for early F-100s in real good shape, Invaders and pretty much any guitar in bright yellow. Love that color!!

Cheers,

Tom

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:20 am

Interesting conversation on the Broadcaster. In relation to prices , when I bought my first G&L and joined the forum in late 2010 I recall that the prices for Broadcasters seemed to be noticeably lower I'd say 1400-1800$ range. When I think about it, for an instrument with that kind of history attached prices now could still be considered a bargain, all things considered. Someday I hope to see and play a Broadcaster. It will have to be during travels as pre BBE G&L's are very rare north of the border. It would definitely have to be " players " grade so I would not be afraid to touch it.

Great condition F-100's you say ? http://guitars.com/inventory/ez5297-gl-f-100-prototype

I will be in Nashville in a couple of weeks. Maybe I will see it in person.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:40 am

I paid 2500.00 for mine in 2013 .... a later Bcaster 86 model , no special history , just basically brand new condition with maple board , like buying a new one in 86 all these years later .... in perspective my new Empriss ASAT BB was right at the same cost all said and done ,

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:32 am

glvourot wrote:Interesting conversation on the Broadcaster. In relation to prices , when I bought my first G&L and joined the forum in late 2010 I recall that the prices for Broadcasters seemed to be noticeably lower I'd say 1400-1800$ range. When I think about it, for an instrument with that kind of history attached prices now could still be considered a bargain, all things considered. Someday I hope to see and play a Broadcaster. It will have to be during travels as pre BBE G&L's are very rare north of the border. It would definitely have to be " players " grade so I would not be afraid to touch it.

Great condition F-100's you say ? http://guitars.com/inventory/ez5297-gl-f-100-prototype

I looked at the F-100 at the link provided. Do you know any more about this guitar? What makes it a prototype? It is in fine condition I must say. I also notice that it has the string through saddle lock bridge which I believe to be somewhat rare. It also has hex pole piece pickups rather that the earlier slotted design. So, how does that work, when did they start using the hex type and stop with the slotted type? Another thing, where would the serial number be?

Anyway, if anyone knows more about this guitar and its options please chime in. Or, start a new thread maybe?

Tom

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:17 am

FZTNT wrote:
glvourot wrote:Interesting conversation on the Broadcaster. In relation to prices , when I bought my first G&L and joined the forum in late 2010 I recall that the prices for Broadcasters seemed to be noticeably lower I'd say 1400-1800$ range. When I think about it, for an instrument with that kind of history attached prices now could still be considered a bargain, all things considered. Someday I hope to see and play a Broadcaster. It will have to be during travels as pre BBE G&L's are very rare north of the border. It would definitely have to be " players " grade so I would not be afraid to touch it.

I looked at the F-100 at the link provided. Do you know any more about this guitar? What makes it a prototype? It is in fine condition I must say. I also notice that it has the string through saddle lock bridge which I believe to be somewhat rare. It also has hex pole piece pickups rather that the earlier slotted design. So, how does that work, when did they start using the hex type and stop with the slotted type? Another thing, where would the serial number be?

Anyway, if anyone knows more about this guitar and its options please chime in. Or, start a new thread maybe?

Tom

Yes, start a new thread.

:ugeek:

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:45 am

Back to Broadcasters .... ;)

y2kc, did you see the one offered on Gruhn Guitars? Here's the link: http://guitars.com/inventory/ez5307-1986-gl-broadcaster .

:ugeek:

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi all, one of the Broadcasters on Reverb mentioned above has an interesting defect in the finish and/or wood that I have seen on other guitars in the past but never knew what caused it. Here is a picture about what I refer to. Can anyone tell me what this is? Is it structural, is it a finish anomaly, a defect in the wood, and would it significantly detract from the value of this guitar? Have a look and see what you think, thanks...Tom

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:00 pm

FZtnt,

That is simply a body seam. The body is two or three pieces of wood glued together. One piece looses a little more moisture than the other and seam city. Just like a black car shows dings and dirt, black guitars show seams really nicely.
Seams like the are not a big deal and don't really effect the price of Broadcasters. The bean counters were saving money by using scraps of wood to build Leo's flagship. They came out of the factory that way.

This type of seam can be seen on some new G&Ls as well in certain light. Bummer.

Go Cubs,

y2kc

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Any of you guys are welcome to come to Australia and play my mint Broadcaster. Thanks Gabe for finding me one . The Leo signature is the reason I wanted one. It is so playable . And so , so shiny in its smart black paint

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:52 pm

Any of you guys are welcome to come to Australia and play my mint Broadcaster. Thanks Gabe for finding me one . The Leo signature is the reason I wanted one. It is so playable . And so , so shiny in its smart black paint

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:52 am

y2kc wrote:FZtnt,

That is simply a body seam. The body is two or three pieces of wood glued together. One piece looses a little more moisture than the other and seam city. Just like a black car shows dings and dirt, black guitars show seams really nicely.
Seams like the are not a big deal and don't really effect the price of Broadcasters. The bean counters were saving money by using scraps of wood to build Leo's flagship. They came out of the factory that way.

This type of seam can be seen on some new G&Ls as well in certain light. Bummer.

Go Cubs,

y2kc

That's exactly what I figured. On this one it almost looks like you can see the middle piece of Maple that is about as wide as the bridge, essentially, in the center of the guitar. My understanding was that the Broadcaster body was built from a single piece of Maple. I can't find any reference to that other than the simple omission of how many pieces were used in the descriptions out there.

I would think that this might not effect the sound but I do wonder if it is structurally sound. I also am quite surprised that something like this would escape the QC guys or even the Finnish department. (we know that Leo didn't put his hands on every one made but I wonder if he would have let this slide.) Could something like this show up years after manufacture and not split the paint? I would never buy a new guitar with such a defect...

Tom

Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:12 pm

FZTNT wrote:My understanding was that the Broadcaster body was built from a single piece of Maple. I can't find any reference to that other than the simple omission of how many pieces were used in the descriptions out there.

I don't think any of my Leo-era instruments have single-piece bodies. Some of them, especially from the late 1980s, have very well-matched grain that makes the joints less obvious.

FZTNT wrote:I would think that this might not effect the sound but I do wonder if it is structurally sound.

I've never had a problem or seen a seam open up. I did have that happen on a 1970s Fender Jazz I bought with summer job money in 1981. The joint was partially open when I bought it, so I slapped some wood filler in with a putty knife and ran a piece of sandpaper over it. That "repair" is still stable going on 35 years later.

FZTNT wrote:I also am quite surprised that something like this would escape the QC guys or even the Finnish department. (we know that Leo didn't put his hands on every one made but I wonder if he would have let this slide.) Could something like this show up years after manufacture and not split the paint?

Yes, it would show up later as the wood continues to dry. The same thing happens with furniture, but joinery and finishing techniques can usually hide it well. The wide slab of wood in the body, combined with an opaque finish, can make it seem more uneven than it really is.

Ken

Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:39 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:There are 2 on Reverb.

- Jos

Fun Fact:

Both these Broadcasters on Reverb (one of which has been reduced by 45% making it a bit more in line with current pricing) have the same Born On date of 08/28/1985. Coincidently, that's my birthday.

Tom