Broadcaster Finnish

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:20 am

Hi, Did G&L ever make Broadcasters with Nitro Finnish? Was it ever an option after they stopped using it as the default finish? What year did they stop using it in the Leo era?

Just curious as there is one that just got listed on Reverb with Nitro. No mention of Nitro finish on any of the 350 registered instruments.

Tom

Re: Broadcaster Finnish

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:33 am

FZTNT wrote:Hi, Did G&L ever make Broadcasters with Nitro Finnish? Was it ever an option after they stopped using it as the default finish? What year did they stop using it in the Leo era?

Just curious as there is one that just got listed on Reverb with Nitro. No mention of Nitro finish on any of the 350 registered instruments.

Tom

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: Finish processes, how we did it then by Fred Finisher.

:ugeek:

Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:09 pm

Thanks Craig, this is quite interesting and I never realized just what it took to get the finish as good as all G&Ls have. It's no wonder my past attempts at refinishing guitars failed so miserably.

However, as luck would have it, the post by Fred The Finisher mentions that guitars before '85 or so had the nitro (something I did not know, It was my understanding that they went away from Nitro in '83) but is still somewhat vague regarding the use of Nitro during '85 and specifically on the Broadcaster. Or other guitars from that time frame.

It's also quite interesting what he said about Mahogany bodies being scarce as I have a couple Mahogany body G&Ls from that time period and see them for sale regularly.

Perhaps Fred could jump on the post and discuss the finishing of Broadcasters and the process as well as material used. Were Nitro and Poly ever used together? When he refers to Lacquer is it always Nitro or is there a such thing as Poly Lacquer? Not sure what defines a Lacquer specifically.

Thanks much,

Tom

Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:31 pm

This company used various different vendors in the 80's, but most of the colored nitro in that era was from Spartan (gone and the land it was on is so polluted, it has to be cleaned up before it can ever be used again).

They also used Mar-Lak catalyzed lacquer, possibly for necks and/or sealing.