Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:26 pm

Here she is!

Thanks!

Soli Deo Gloria,
Thomas

Re: 1981 F-100 Images

Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:33 pm

Very nice and clean. :thumbup:

Looks heavy too. ;) I've got an F-100 E in transparent red and it is heavy. Nevertheless I'm using it for playing live. :)

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:29 am

Very, very nice.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:55 am

Very nice, great guitar.

I can't see any in the pics, is there any finish checking in the paint? I think almost all of these were Nitro finished and end up with some degree of checking. I don't mind a little cause it shows character but I see a lot of early F-100's with massive checking and it looks odd. Yours looks exceptionally clean, don't see that too often.

Play the hell out of that thing. Mine is my fave really.

Tom

Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:33 am

Very nice F-100E. Looks to be in great shape. Welcome to the F-100 club.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:06 pm

FZTNT wrote:Very nice, great guitar.

I can't see any in the pics, is there any finish checking in the paint? I think almost all of these were Nitro finished and end up with some degree of checking. I don't mind a little cause it shows character but I see a lot of early F-100's with massive checking and it looks odd. Yours looks exceptionally clean, don't see that too often.

Play the hell out of that thing. Mine is my fave really.

Tom

Thanks all!

Tom,
No checking that is visible. The guitar had been in a closet in a gigbag since the late 80's I was told. It has a couple of dings here and there, but nothing major.

The guitar plays great. The pickups in active mode push in a nice way. One thing I am battling is the guitar is really bright. Brighter than my strats for sure. I think it may be the Ash / Ebony combo. It easily goes into Tele bright territory. I am not sure I am going to get along with it, but I am going to try to dial in something. Advice is welcome :)

THANKS!

Soli Deo Gloria,
Thomas

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:44 am

That is a guitars that screams to be played. Let us know how the active pickups are. Some folks like that feature quite a lot in the f-100.

Ebony, a series 1- whats not to like? Also the ash body has that tighter grain pattern that is desired as well. Nice find.

Y2kc

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:04 am

I didn't see that last post.

This guitar should not be compared to a strat and will not venture far into the tonal range of a strat. The F-100 has a unique voice and requires a little time to get adapted to. The sound is not everyones cup of tea.

Take your time and do not be in a hurry to validate this purchase. Many factors come into play when adjusting to some of Leo's pickup designs. Pick up height and amp settings will be your best friend.

I like these guitars. They have their own sound. I describe the pickups as having a nasal quality to them. That may sound strange for me to use that description but that is how they sound to me. I like to push the amp and get them singing.

Take your time,

y2kc