1990 ASAT Custom Order

Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:48 pm

Hi All:

I'm a Canadian Collector / Gear Head and I finally pulled the trigger on a 1990 ASAT Custom Order. I am including pictures and welcome any comments on anything you see, good, bad, ugly or indifferent. :) The neck is stamped Mar 90 and the body is May 90. The area in the neck pocket that I whited out contains the name of the original owner (who I know by name only). I believe I am the 4th owner. I love the sound and feel of this instrument, I had a vintage strat that I enjoyed but it simply wasn't as versatile as this is.

I'm curious if anyone knows anything about the pickups, they are all different. The wood? Also does anyone know anything about the numbers etc in the neck pocket. I have to admit ... my heart skipped a beat when I saw the little orange "F" in wax pencil in the pocket... but that would be too good to be true :)

I dont know if I overpayed or not... I paid 1000 Cdn (US $830)... it doesnt really matter though.. I love the way it plays and sounds.

Tim

Re: 1990 ASAT Custom Order

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:05 am

Hi Tim,

What you have there is an ASAT III. These were built between 1987 and 1991 and is a so called Rarebird with its own page in the GbL Registry. It looks this Swamp Ash ASAT III with maple fingerboard is not registered yet.

Here a couple of links to other sites:
GGJaguar's Natural ASAT III Signature, Black ASAT III SSH, CAR ASAT III SSH with DFV, Black ASAT III, Sunburst ASAT III, Blonde ASAT III, and Cherryburst ASAT III Signature.

My own Cherryburst ASAT III and Black ASAT III Signature SSH

Yours looks fabulous and in great condition. Are the pots replacement push-pull ones? They seems to sit so low below the control plate. The '12' stamp seen on the bridge pickup has been observed on ASAT Classic pickups and my guess is that is what you have there. The neck and middle pickup are clearly different. Given the Pat. number on the cover, my best guess is you have the standard Skyhawk pup typically used for this model in the middle and, judging from the tab where you'd connect the leads, a Classic neck pickup. All of this pickup stuff would make this guitar unique.

Great find! And believe me, a steal too!

- Jos

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:17 am

Thanks Jos;

I knew when I saw it up close that the pickups were all different and the last owner told me it had been a custom order. I can't tell if the push pull is original or not, if it isn't original then it appears to me that it replaced early in the guitars life as it shows signs of age. I will register it once I learn a little more. I'm still amazed at how usable everything is, pull it out and its a strat with a position 2 and 4 and then all three in the middle; push it in and its a tele, neck, both, and bridge (pos 1, 2, 3). Bloody thing out strats my strat and out teles my tele. Loving it.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:50 pm

Cool Axe Tim - Congrats!

All looks legit to me except for the pots, switch & tip, and knobs.

I bet it covers all the sonic ground one could hope for all in one guitar!

Cheers,
KF

Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:05 pm

Yes, thats a good way to put it, ALOT of sonic ground.