9.5" Radius on an '88?

Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:05 pm

A reputable seller is selling an 88 ASAT with a 9.5" radius fretboard. I questioned them about it and they said it doesn't look re-radiused and must be special ordered. Could there be any truth to this?

Re: 9.5" Radius on an '88?

Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:14 pm

I saw that guitar the other day and thought it was a tad flatter. When I checked I wasn't surprised to read 9.5.. This isn't the first 9.5 from that era that I have seen and I imagine it could be fun to play.

Cool guitar,

y2kc

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:33 pm

eurotrashed wrote:A reputable seller is selling an 88 ASAT with a 9.5" radius fretboard. I questioned them about it and they said it doesn't look re-radiused and must be special ordered. Could there be any truth to this?

If it has a 9.5" radius from the factory, it would definitely be a special order. See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: What are the USA neck size options, past and present?.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:30 am

The only thing that makes me worry about that ad is that they suggest getting a refret in order to have lower action. I am not sure how refretting alone would achieve this. I imagine if the truss rod works and the neck is is ok, with a little patience, one could adjust things and get it to play.

y2kc