F100 : Active vs. Passive

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:42 pm

So I'm in full G&L mode... My dad has an F100 S1 , passive/hardtail. Love that guitar, want to grab one for myself.

How different are the active circuit models from the passive tone? Is there any lack of dynamic responsiveness that say EMGs have the reputation to suffer for? Is there a boost in output vs. passive F100 pickups? Or is it just more like passive tone with added control for eq?

Also, do the pickups inherently differ from passive F100 pickups, or is the difference in the circuitry only? Sorry if I was unsuccessful with the search function on any point.

Re: F100 : Active vs. Passive

Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:02 pm

Danley wrote:So I'm in full G&L mode... My dad has an F100 S1 , passive/hardtail. Love that guitar, want to grab one for myself.

How different are the active circuit models from the passive tone? Is there any lack of dynamic responsiveness that say EMGs have the reputation to suffer for? Is there a boost in output vs. passive F100 pickups? Or is it just more like passive tone with added control for eq?

Also, do the pickups inherently differ from passive F100 pickups, or is the difference in the circuitry only? Sorry if I was unsuccessful with the search function on any point.

There is a boost, and there's no lack of sparkle with the right settings. Same pickups, with a preamp added to the circuit.
You can probably find the same sonic territory with a clean boost pedal and your dad's passive F-100.
Do you have an amp with a tube pre?

Got any pics ? :searching:

Re: F100 : Active vs. Passive

Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:32 pm

Without trying to be controversial
If you're talking about a boost pedal . Then go straight to Tone Heaven and buy an Original Klon Centaur
I would sell one of my G&L's before ever selling my Klon.
It just makes everything sound better .