NBD Part One

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:25 pm

Here's the first of two NBD threads. I found this on a trip to my local guitar shop last weekend, and picked it up on Saturday:

She's a nice example of a late L-1000, with date stamps from late '89 and early '90. The body is maple, which is unusual for a G&L built this late and especially rare for an L-1000. The fingerboard is ebony, which was also scarce after '87 or '88. The headstock decal has the typical "by Leo Fender". The body has light flame, but the finish doesn't make it pop and it was too faint to catch in a photo.

Here are few more pics:

Since this one is from fairly late in the production run, I thought it would be interesting to get a photo next to a pre-production L-1000:

The pickup placement is exactly the same on both basses, but the '90 has a much deeper rib and forearm contours.

I almost forgot to mention - she sounds incredible, just like an L-1000 should!

Ken

Re: NBD Part One

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:34 pm

beautiful Ken ..... congrats on finding that beauty

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:38 pm

Thanks Eric!

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:45 pm

Who wouldn't fall in love with a Wunkay like that!!! Great score Ken!

- Jos

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:41 pm

Jeez Louise !!
Cool find Ken , not many of those around.

Tuned in for part two, too . ;)

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:03 pm

Good find Ken!!

Aren't you from my neck of the woods (D.C.)? What is the local guitar shop? I have not ventured out too much but need to.

Tom

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:18 pm

Thanks Tom. I am in your neck of the woods. I found these at Atomic Music in Beltsville MD. They've had a lot of G&Ls lately. Last weekend there was a late-'80s ASAT and a very nice sunburst Skyhawk Signature, and I think probably a couple of other ones that were too recent to catch my eye.

Ken

Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:21 am

I wish my local store had guitars of that quality
Amazing
I know it would sound so good

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:05 am

Hi Ken,
That is one beautiful L-1000.
I will have to swing by Atomic more often.

I love the 3 color sunburst over a maple body.
Just for a complete disclosure, I own a 1982 L-2000 with a poplar body. It is one of the other body woods used by G&L in the 1980's.

Take care,
Bassman Bill

Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:51 pm

Both of those L-1000s are fantastic! I don't expect to see a black hardware rear loaded L-1000, but there it is.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:53 am

KenC wrote:Thanks Tom. I am in your neck of the woods. I found these at Atomic Music in Beltsville MD. They've had a lot of G&Ls lately. Last weekend there was a late-'80s ASAT and a very nice sunburst Skyhawk Signature, and I think probably a couple of other ones that were too recent to catch my eye.

Ken

I noticed they have an ASAT lll listed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-ASAT-III-3- ... SwqfNXj76k

Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Elwood wrote:
KenC wrote:Thanks Tom. I am in your neck of the woods. I found these at Atomic Music in Beltsville MD. They've had a lot of G&Ls lately. Last weekend there was a late-'80s ASAT and a very nice sunburst Skyhawk Signature, and I think probably a couple of other ones that were too recent to catch my eye.

Ken

I noticed they have an ASAT lll listed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-ASAT-III-3- ... SwqfNXj76k

Not any more...it's gone.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:52 pm

FZTNT wrote:Not any more...it's gone.

Guilty. NGD to follow in a couple of weeks. They said there were at least three other early ASATs in the store when I called.

I'm baffled that they still have the sunburst Skyhawk Sig there. At the asking price, it should have been gone long ago. It's also on eBay.

Ken

Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:56 am

Good job Ken! Looking forward to your report. The way I read the S/N from one of the pics conflicted with an already existing entry in the Registry. So I'm looking forward to having that resolved too.

- Jos

Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:56 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Good job Ken! Looking forward to your report. The way I read the S/N from one of the pics conflicted with an already existing entry in the Registry. So I'm looking forward to having that resolved too.

- Jos

Thanks Jos! I didn't notice anything conflicting. What did you read the SN to be?

I stopped by Atomic on the way home from work to give her a try. Based on the shop's nut measurement I was hoping the neck would feel like my Kahler-equipped '86 ASAT, but in reality it felt a bit slimmer. Definitely not a showstopper, though. I played for a minute through a silverface Champ, which sounded like it could use a tune-up. The tone was crunchier than my '87 ASAT III, which also has Skyhawk pickups. That MFD humbucker was definitely strong and bright!

I hope Craig won't mind a subtle PSA here, but as of this afternoon they had three or four ASATs that I'd put around '88-'91 based on the headstock decals, the same Skyhawk Sig that's been on the wall forever, and a pair of Leo-era SC-2s, all under $1K sticker price. I put one of the SC-2s (a second body style) on layaway, and will be trading my current second-style SC-2 for it this weekend. I love the one I have, but often find myself wishing it was a hardtail instead of a DFV. Somebody will be very happy with it.

Ken

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:55 pm

KenC wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:Good job Ken! Looking forward to your report. The way I read the S/N from one of the pics conflicted with an already existing entry in the Registry. So I'm looking forward to having that resolved too.

- Jos

Thanks Jos! I didn't notice anything conflicting. What did you read the SN to be?

G026640 which is registered as an SC-3.

- Jos

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks. I forgot to confirm it today, but according to the shop you're off by one digit. I'll register it once I have it in hand and can take a rubbing. The stamp didn't seem very clear judging by the quick glance I gave it this afternoon.

Ken