Last Broadcaster Ever Produced (?)

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:42 pm

Before we can discuss the last broadcaster we must talk about the first Broadcaster produced. For a long time there was much discussion about BC00001 on this forum. Last year this guitar was discovered in a storage unit in Cali and after much back and forth discussion both public and private, it was determined that this guitar was legit. It was subsequently purchased by forum member MasteroftheBroadcaster. It was widely known that some of the early serial number neck plates were held back and used later for "special" guitars. Some of those were #'s 2, 3 and 5 known to be presented to Dale and George at the end of the production run. We know that these four serial numbered Broadcasters were produced in early May, 1986. So none of these were the first Broadcasters produced.

There are 350 or so Broadcasters registered in this forum's registry. The earliest dates are for BC00207 and BC00211 with an inspection sticker date of 7/17/1985. Interestingly, both of these are also owned by forum member MasteroftheBroadcaster. There are quite a number of registry entries with no dates associated with them and also a lot with "Verified by..." entries with no dates. These mean nothing without dates. It is said that a forum member entered these from information gathered during a meeting with Dale Hyatt. Again, it would have been nice to list a date if indeed these came from Dale's log book. Without that information, we cannot but speculate about the earliest produced Broadcaster. However, I would say that it very well could be #s 207 and 211. I wish the pages of the log book could be made available to the forum for this type of research, or at lest to some of us proven to be capable of keeping these things to to ourselves. If the log book disproves my assumption, or someone has inspection stickers to disprove this, please come forward and let me know.

Now, let's talk about the last Broadcaster produced. If it's true that BC00001 through 5 were indeed made in early May, 1986, which has been verified, then anything much later than those must be very near the absolute end of the Broadcaster production run. Within the registered Broadcasters on this site there are two Broadcasters with a Body date of March 5th, 1986. These are the last dates registered and are BC00043 and BC00045. Again, there are many with no associated dates in the registry. So, skip forward a couple of months when they decided to build the Dale and George Broadcasters and that represented the near end of the production run, early May 1986. There is a Broadcaster registered as BC01060 "Completed 2/4/1987 per production log 12/5/2005" Which I believe to be either a typo or some form of employee guitar and not in any way part of the Broadcaster production run. I would like to see the inspection sticker to prove me wrong or at least the log entry.

So last week I purchased BC00876. It has an inspection sticker date of 5/22/86 and a neck date of May 13th, 1986. It has been verified by the Dale Hyatt sales log book as being legit with a date 0f 5/23/1986. I do not have access to this book but know someone that does. I would like to see if there are any entries with later dates than this. There are no registry entries with dates past this. So, until I see otherwise, I contend that this was the last production run Broadcaster.

Please, I welcome any and all opinions and observations related to this Broadcaster and what I have put forth, as well as any additional info as to the first Broadcaster. This is all very interesting stuff but is surrounded in a shroud of mystery due to the lack of access to these log books. I kinda understand the reason behind the secrecy but also think that the more available information, the better we can all protect ourselves from those that would wish to pass off G&L guitars of less than pure pedigree.

Thanks so much, here are some pics of BC00876.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Last edited by Craig on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin edited the Subject for clarity

Re: Last Broadcaster Ever Produced

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:56 am

Wow, looks in amazing shape, congrats.

I LOVE the inspected by Leo Fender. Way cool.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:54 am

Great looking piece. Last or not, that is one fine addition to your collection!

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:22 am

It's funny, I have never seen one of these inspection stickers in person before. Only in pictures. They are actually quite small, not much bigger than two postage stamps side-by-side.

Tom

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:17 am

wow, that broadcaster sure is a nice find.
as we say when flounder fishing at the jersey shore, that one's a keeper!

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:52 pm

I too hope someday that the Secret G&L Log Books are declassified and made available to the general public.Thank goodness the "Keeper Of The Log" is a good guy and shares information when needed.

Nice Broadcaster,

y2kc

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:21 pm

Nice Broadcaster. I recently traded a Black ASAT with the same neck date, and a body date of May 22. The body year stamp was covered by overspray, but I assumed it to be 1986 since the days were so close. It had a metal pick guard and chrome hardware, which I assumed a previous owner had swapped out. Anyway, the production log date for the completed guitar was August 4 1987. Those parts hung around the factory for a long time waiting to be used. That production was late enough that it would have been built with the metal guard.

Ken

Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:12 pm

Ken, I'm a bit confused by your post. I understand that parts hang around for months and even years in some cases. However you mention the production date being late enough for a metal pick guard. Do you refer to your ASAT or my Broadcaster?

Tom

Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Sorry for the confusion. I meant my old ASAT. The pickguards had changed from single-ply black plastic to metal by the middle of 1987. Yours would have been built with the single-ply black plastic guard, which was used well into 1987.

Ken

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:21 am

:shock:

:evilgrin:

Nothing else to say...

Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:14 pm

I am not sure what info you are looking for. I do not have "the log book", but I do have other sources of info. 876 was not the last. I would need to skim to get a firm date, but I see Broadcasters being made into June, this one is May 23. 3 others went out the same day. 48, 876, and 46.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:21 pm

I have no access to any list of Broadcasters or G&L's in general. I have been, at times, in touch with more than one person claiming to have access to Dale's production logs and have verified serial number authenticity of several guitars I was either looking to buy or did in fact by.

Brock, do you have such access? When I search the registry on this site (not sure if there is a registry elsewhere) I do not even find Broadcaster # 46 or #48 nor one produced in June of 1986. So please post your info and source. I may be searching the registry wrong but I have scrutinized all 350 or so entries and the only later dates are on admittedly fake Broadcasters or as mentioned in my post, one made in 1987 that seems a bit fishy without further evidence, and no entries in between.

I await your list anxiously,

Tom

ps, Tim, without at least a body date, a list with mere serial numbers is not of much use. As you know there are numerous listings of Broadcasters with serial numbers but no body, neck or completion dates so they could be from any date.

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:55 am

FZTNT wrote:Brock, do you have such access?

I am sorry to say, I do not have access to a factory master list.

However, the serial numbers, while totally mixed up and random, still were important. Each number represented many things, a guitar, a product, inventory, sales unit, incoming, outgoing, to be serviced, for bonus, for shipping..etc, etc. The numbers were used for identification every step of the way, so they appear on several different pieces of paperwork for these different reasons. I DO have some access to that sort of thing. But it is not easily searchable. I don't even want to mention how long it took me to find info on this one.

There is a version of Broadcaster serial number documents out there. I wish I got 'em, but if I took the time I could feasibly compile my own. And I have no difficulty in believing Dale maintained a master book that is out there.

Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:31 pm

BrockLee wrote:
FZTNT wrote:Brock, do you have such access?

I am sorry to say, I do not have access to a factory master list.

There is a version of Broadcaster serial number documents out there. I wish I got 'em, but if I took the time I could feasibly compile my own. And I have no difficulty in believing Dale maintained a master book that is out there.

So still, without a copy of the sales log or these other documents you refer to (which I do believe exist as well) or pics of inspection stickers, any information would just be here-say, no?

I hope that someday the sales log book could be made public as these other documents have either been pilfered or destroyed. Do you know who might have possession of Dale's book? I understand that it is likely complete as apposed to the production log which is mostly scattered in the wind.

This is all very interesting to me and I would love to know more, so anyone with more insight please come on down and let's talk.

Tom

Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:36 pm

FZTNT wrote:
So still, without a copy of the sales log or these other documents you refer to (which I do believe exist as well) or pics of inspection stickers, any information would just be here-say, no?

Many of the other documents I mentioned do exist. The problem is because numbers are used randomly, without the master manifest that points out the filing #'s and dates, searching is it very difficult. Thus, the solution is to recreate that books entries by entering every thing in from every invoice into a searchable spreadsheet. That is a lot of work.

I do not consider the other papers hearsay. However, I guess simply posting what they say without proving myself first comes off as hearsay. The problem is, I don't care enough to prove myself. Take the info or leave it.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:14 am

BrockLee wrote:
FZTNT wrote:

Many of the other documents I mentioned do exist. The problem is because numbers are used randomly, without the master manifest that points out the filing #'s and dates, searching is it very difficult. Thus, the solution is to recreate that books entries by entering every thing in from every invoice into a searchable spreadsheet. That is a lot of work.

I do not consider the other papers hearsay. However, I guess simply posting what they say without proving myself first comes off as hearsay. The problem is, I don't care enough to prove myself. Take the info or leave it.

The trouble is, without the proof it is just hear-say. I am working off of the documented, available to the public, information. Other than that, all else is potential misleading info for the purpose to defraud, unsubstantiated bunk. There are many people out there claiming to know this or have that or have access to and one would have to wonder why some of them don't come forward and at least quote their sources. Or, could it be that some of these folks are of the type that Tim refers to above that have alternative motives for not divulging the true information. But to say that you "see" Broadcasters being made into June is absurd without sharing what you "see". and for you to say "The problem is, I don't care enough to prove myself. Take the info or leave it." is also absurd. Why even open your mouth if you aren't willing to back up what you assert. Show me an inspection sticker or a piece of G&L paper work with latter dated Broadcasters and you might just save your integrity. Without it, you're part of the problem and not part of the solution.

Respectfully,

Tom

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:56 pm

one thing is for sure is theres a lot of passion for the Broadcaster , the builders and the people that owned them have a lot of passion ..... I would have to agree that until someone physically proves otherwise , Tom's has to be regarded as the last known B'caster until otherwise proven different .... and that could still happen

Eric

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:42 am

The records of production would be something that all G&L collectors would benefit from having. The reason it has not been made public is simply that not one person has all the information. I am sure that if this information were to be collected together, it could be shared with us.

The people that have these bits and pieces should get them together before time passes and none of it can be validated. Please put the lists together before someone dies and they get thrown in the trash. Sorry to be blunt.

y2kc

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:58 am

I second what y2kc has to say.

I am also surprised by the silence of certain forum members about this post. What's up guys?

Tom

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:32 am

FZTNT wrote: I am also surprised by the silence of certain forum members about this post. What's up guys?

Tom

my bet is he's researching

Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:12 pm

FZTNT wrote:I second what y2kc has to say.

+2

IIRC Dale would charge $35 for a lookup, just as a way to show respect for his time.

Elwood
p.s. Summer around the GLDP is often slow

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:33 pm

+3. I've been trying to find info over the past couple of days about an inbound Leo-era MusicMan. The records from that era seem to be long-gone. The closest thing I've found to our Registry is a long list of serial numbers with the dates original owners remember buying those instruments (and a couple of neck and body dates thrown in her and there). I would hate to see the collective knowledge of G&L production end up in that same state.

I don't have any records, but I certainly could do a better job of documenting the Leo-era instruments that pass through my hands.

Ken

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:19 pm

Elwood wrote:

+2

IIRC Dale would charge $35 for a lookup, just as a way to show respect for his time.

Elwood
p.s. Summer around the GLDP is often slow

If the records were legit and verified, I wouldn't mind paying a fee. $35 might be a bit much but I could see that some considerable amount of time may be spent looking these things up. Perhaps a subscription for access or that sort of thing. However, I would think that the forum and the registry is the proper place to hold such information. I would gladly take the time to enter all of it if I had access to the information. For one person or perhaps a group of people to withhold vital information is not necessarily the answer either. I fully believe that the people that hold such information do so with honorable intentions. It must be a heavy cross to bear...

Tom

Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:12 pm

Anyway, here's another thought to go along with this topic:

If there is a last Broadcaster ever produced (within the stated production run and time period) there has to be a First ASAT Ever Produced. Right?

I have not begun to scan the registry to see what I can find but this too is a very interesting, and significant, guitar. Ever been discussed on the forum?

Whadda yas think?

Tom
Last edited by FZTNT on Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:09 pm

FZTNT wrote: If there is a last Broadcaster ever produced (within the stated production run and time period) there has to be a First ASAT Ever Produced. Right?

Totally...I can't recall a thread devoted to that. I'd be willing to look at my two ASATs for data points.
(I'm pretty sure I haven't entered them in the registry)

You should start a new thread so enthusiasts in the future can find the good info easy.

Jos, I'm thinking you might have some data points too :P

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:34 pm

Elwood wrote:
FZTNT wrote: If there is a last Broadcaster ever produced (within the stated production run and time period) there has to be a First ASAT Ever Produced. Right?

Totally...I can't recall a thread devoted to that. I'd be willing to look at my two ASATs for data points.

Just wondering...is there any reason not to enter them in the registry? Any and all information is most helpful to aid in research and comparison, no?

Tom

Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:07 pm

No , no reason...it seemed like a daunting task with dozens of G&Ls, now I have much less so...
When polishing and restringing them this year I'll kick myself a bit and get'erdun :)

Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:36 pm

Elwood wrote:No , no reason...it seemed like a daunting task with dozens of G&Ls, now I have much less so...
When polishing and restringing them this year I'll kick myself a bit and get'erdun :)

Cool, I am always interested in the collections of you guys who have been around for a while. Not expecting anything like the great documentation that Jos has done with his collection. I wish Craig would add a column to the registry where folks could post a link to pics of each guitar in the gallery. That way we could see early examples of some of these Leo era masterpieces to compare against our own or to prospective purchases.

Thanks Elwood,

Tom

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:38 pm

FZTNT wrote: I wish Craig would add a column to the registry where folks could post a link to pics of each guitar in the gallery.

Yes, Yes, Yes. That'd be cool.

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:45 am

Elwood wrote:

You should start a new thread so enthusiasts in the future can find the good info easy.

Hi guys,

On my site, I mention May 1985 for the first Broadcaster. The link on that page goes to a September 1985 price list. FYI, Paul Bechtoldt states in his book "G&L: Leo's Legacy" that the first Broadcaster was completed 5/21/1985 and had S/N BC00001. That S/N has to be an error because most of the low S/N were actually used at the end of the run for instruments built for the likes like Dale, George, etc. and the dates listed for this S/N in the Registry are DEC 13, 1985 (neck) and APR 30, 1986 (body). BC00211 has a neck date of MAY 23, 1985 but the body date is JUL 17, 1985, as does BC00207 (both Kahler and maple board Broadcasters).

- Jos

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:32 am

Thanks Jos, :happy0065:
Do you have any educated guesses about the first ASAT?

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:16 pm

Elwood wrote:Thanks Jos, :happy0065:

Elwood,

From memory, I believe Paul Bechtoldt lists the first ASAT as being completed 3/24/1986, well before the last Broadcaster rolled of the production line. If I'm incorrect, I will fix it when I get home.

- Jos

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:00 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Elwood wrote:

Hi guys,

On my site, I mention May 1985 for the first Broadcaster. The link on that page goes to a September 1985 price list. FYI, Paul Bechtoldt states in his book "G&L: Leo's Legacy" that the first Broadcaster was completed 5/21/1985 and had S/N BC00001. That S/N has to be an error because most of the low S/N were actually used at the end of the run for instruments built for the likes like Dale, George, etc. and the dates listed for this S/N in the Registry are DEC 13, 1985 (neck) and APR 30, 1986 (body). BC00211 has a neck date of MAY 23, 1985 but the body date is JUL 17, 1985, as does BC00207 (both Kahler and maple board Broadcasters).

- Jos

Indeed, the first Broadcaster was not BC00001. We now know the story of that instrument as well as the other first 5 serial numbered guitars. I have Pauls book and he does list the first Broadcaster as 5/21/85 This guitar is not in the registry, as far as can be verified by dates. There is no way of telling the serial number without more information. Numbers 207 and 211 are just the earliest entries with a neck and body date. So someone would have to open up the guitar to reveal the inspection sticker date near 5/21/85 or, someone needs to produce the sales log book to reveal the serial number with that date. This guitar could be anywhere including destroyed, hopefully not, but it's a unique piece of history. Paul may just have gotten the numbers mixed up or assumed that the first listed Broadcaster had to be BC00001.

So, where is The First Broadcaster?

Tom

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:34 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Elwood wrote:Thanks Jos, :happy0065:

Elwood,

From memory, I believe Paul Bechtoldt lists the first ASAT as being completed 3/24/1986, well before the last Broadcaster rolled of the production line. If I'm incorrect, I will fix it when I get home.

- Jos

Also indeed, Paul's book states that the first ASAT was produced 3/24/86 which is a couple weeks after the last dated Broadcaster in the registry other than BC00001-5, and BC00876.

The earliest dated ASAT's in the registry are G017748 (neck - 4-8-86, Body - 3-7-86), G017747 (Neck - 4-8-86, Body - 9/7/85) and G018043 (Neck - 4/4/86, Body - 10/30/85). So that would theoretically place the latter as the first with a production date no earlier than 4/4/86, by the neck date, mated to what was probably a Broadcaster body.

So again, Paul's record is incomplete as it has no serial number. This first ASAT could also be blown' in the wind as well. Although, the two dates are very close.

Why, you ask, is any of this relevant? It's just plain interesting to me. We have a chance to track down some very significant instruments in the history of great guitar making and G&L in particular. This further demonstrates the need to produce more verifiable information in the form of the log book or books, manifests etc. to be made public in some form.

Here's an example of why this is needed: There's a guy out there selling a 1988 Yellow Invader with LF Pat. Pend. Fine Tuner. He states that he believes that only four were made. He also states that he has access to the log book. It's not a lie but there may be some un-truth to it, intentional or not. So how can I tell if it's true? Well, the registry is a great place to start but frankly, even that is not without its un-truths so-to-speak. For example, I personally own two of these, I personally know of another forum member that owns one, (has posted pics), there's the one being sold plus three others in the registry for a total of seven. Those other three could very well be mistakes in the registry. This also demonstrates a need for links to pictures in the registry. I think it's cool that I can provide reference to others looking to buy G&L instruments and the more information out there, the better chance of happy G&L'ers all over the world. But the log books would add the most valuable reference to anyone researching the pedigree of their instruments. I don't always think of it as a way of eliminating fakes because I like to think most people are good people and not looking to rip others off. I just think of it as a way to become more informed.

Anyway, sorry for the long posts but this is cool stuff and fun to research...

Tom

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:36 pm

Elwood wrote:
FZTNT wrote: I wish Craig would add a column to the registry where folks could post a link to pics of each guitar in the gallery.

Yes, Yes, Yes. That'd be cool.

After all, per Forum Rules..."It doesn't exist without pictures".

I rest My case.

Tom
Last edited by FZTNT on Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:57 pm

Tom,

I notice you have caught the bug in full force too! Very excited about it.

Multiple times in communicating with Gabe (Dellevigne) he has stated the Registry is less than reliable. He used less PC terms but that doesn't matter. It may give some indication, but there are definitely some glaring errors. In one way or another, I do not care too much about accuracy for BBE-era entries, but I do care a lot about the about 50k instruments built before November 4th, 1991.

- Jos

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:26 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Tom,

I notice you have caught the bug in full force too! Very excited about it.

Multiple times in communicating with Gabe (Dellevigne) he has stated the Registry is less than reliable. He used less PC terms but that doesn't matter. It may give some indication, but there are definitely some glaring errors. In one way or another, I do not care too much about accuracy for BBE-era entries, but I do care a lot about the about 50k instruments built before November 4th, 1991.

- Jos

For sure Jos. BBE era documentation is fairly complete from what I understand. Depends on who you get on the phone when you call and how interested they are in looking up when your 2004 ASAT Special of the Week was made. (no offense, they are all wonderful guitars).

I am only interested in the Leo era guitars in terms of documentation. I own 5 or 6 BBE era guitars and know everything there is to know about them and can find more if I really wanted to. They are some of the best BBE era guitars IMO but not as interesting as a 1981 Nitro finished CAR F-100 in either appearance, sound or MOJO. Very grateful for Leo, George, Dale and all the folks that built this company and these guitars. As far as accuracy of the registry, all the more reason to find and bring to light the log books, manifests and other documents that can be used to document these early instruments.

Tom

Re: Last Broadcaster Ever Produced (?)

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:05 pm

FZTNT wrote: ...

So last week I purchased BC00876. It has an inspection sticker date of 5/22/86 and a neck date of May 13th, 1986. It has been verified by the Dale Hyatt sales log book as being legit with a date 0f 5/23/1986. I do not have access to this book but know someone that does. I would like to see if there are any entries with later dates than this. There are no registry entries with dates past this. So, until I see otherwise, I contend that this was the last production run Broadcaster.

Please, I welcome any and all opinions and observations related to this Broadcaster and what I have put forth, as well as any additional info as to the first Broadcaster. This is all very interesting stuff but is surrounded in a shroud of mystery due to the lack of access to these log books. I kinda understand the reason behind the secrecy but also think that the more available information, the better we can all protect ourselves from those that would wish to pass off G&L guitars of less than pure pedigree.

Thanks so much, here are some pics of BC00876.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

I know I am coming late to this thread, as I have been out of town and mostly away from the site, but wanted to add some comments.

First congratulations on getting a beauty of a Broadcaster; it is stunning. :thumbup:

Having read all the posts to this thread, I don't see that you have enough data to make the statement that this Broadcaster is the "Last Broadcaster Ever Produced". Therefore, I have added "(?)"
to the Subject for clarity.

Many members here know that Larry G. (HLG) has a copy or access to a copy of Dale's G&L Sales Log. You yourself have gotten Sales Log data on some of your previous G&L's from him.
There have been previous discussions on the Broadcaster here and one such post from HLG is this [Reference thread link=http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?p=10297#p10297:

HLG wrote:The lower serial numbers destined for the Broadcaster were intentionally held back. It was common place for G&L to start the serialization of some models well above #1. For example, the L1000 serial numbers started at B000500. In the case of the Broadcaster, serial numbers BC00001 through BC00050 were held back until the end of the production run with a few sporadic exceptions.. A few of these low serial numbers were not sold on the retail market due to an agreement with Gretsch over the name. The agreement was not legally binding. On May 1st of 1985 Dale Hyatt registered the name "Broadcaster" and received the trademark certification after finding the previous registration of the name "Broadcaster" had lapsed. Dale Hyatt being a man of his word, honored this agreement and did not sell anymore guitars named "Broadcaster"after the agreed upon date had past. A few more Broadcasters were built but these were not sold on the retail market and were never intended to be. This is what makes the lower serial numbered Broadcasters special. A few but not all of these lower serial numbered Broadcasters were intended for certain individuals and places. Once the sequence of serialized neck plates up to BC01100 were used, G&L started into the lower serial numbers until the end of the production run.
FYI... The Asat and Broadcaster production runs overlapped by three months. There's a reason why your '86/'87 Asat plays and sounds like it does. It's a Broadcaster of a different color. It's a good thing that Richard Smith suggested to Dale the name Asat. If not for that...we'd be playing The LACASTER!

So, it seems to me that one of the Broadcasters with a serial number below BC00051 will be the actual last one built by the factory. Why not contact Larry and ask him if he can identify which one it is?
Or perhaps he will see this thread and participate in this discussion, as well.

:ugeek:

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:07 pm

BrockLee wrote:
FZTNT wrote:

BrockLee, it would be helpful if you could post an Introduction post (in the Introductions sub-forum) and tell us about yourself and your past association with G&L.

Re: Last Broadcaster Ever Produced (?)

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:36 am

Craig wrote:
FZTNT wrote: ...

I know I am coming late to this thread, as I have been out of town and mostly away from the site, but wanted to add some comments.

First congratulations on getting a beauty of a Broadcaster; it is stunning. :thumbup:

Having read all the posts to this thread, I don't see that you have enough data to make the statement that this Broadcaster is the "Last Broadcaster Ever Produced". Therefore, I have added "(?)"
to the Subject for clarity.

Many members here know that Larry G. (HLG) has a copy or access to a copy of Dale's G&L Sales Log. You yourself have gotten Sales Log data on some of your previous G&L's from him.
There have been previous discussions on the Broadcaster here and one such post from HLG is this [Reference thread link=http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?p=10297#p10297:

HLG wrote:The lower serial numbers destined for the Broadcaster were intentionally held back. It was common place for G&L to start the serialization of some models well above #1. For example, the L1000 serial numbers started at B000500. In the case of the Broadcaster, serial numbers BC00001 through BC00050 were held back until the end of the production run with a few sporadic exceptions.. A few of these low serial numbers were not sold on the retail market due to an agreement with Gretsch over the name. The agreement was not legally binding. On May 1st of 1985 Dale Hyatt registered the name "Broadcaster" and received the trademark certification after finding the previous registration of the name "Broadcaster" had lapsed. Dale Hyatt being a man of his word, honored this agreement and did not sell anymore guitars named "Broadcaster"after the agreed upon date had past. A few more Broadcasters were built but these were not sold on the retail market and were never intended to be. This is what makes the lower serial numbered Broadcasters special. A few but not all of these lower serial numbered Broadcasters were intended for certain individuals and places. Once the sequence of serialized neck plates up to BC01100 were used, G&L started into the lower serial numbers until the end of the production run.
FYI... The Asat and Broadcaster production runs overlapped by three months. There's a reason why your '86/'87 Asat plays and sounds like it does. It's a Broadcaster of a different color. It's a good thing that Richard Smith suggested to Dale the name Asat. If not for that...we'd be playing The LACASTER!

So, it seems to me that one of the Broadcasters with a serial number below BC00051 will be the actual last one built by the factory. Why not contact Larry and ask him if he can identify which one it is?
Or perhaps he will see this thread and participate in this discussion, as well.

OK, what you propose is entirely possible. It's just that there is no documentation to back it up. I have read what HLG wrote before while researching this topic. My understanding is that the "agreed upon date" to stop selling Broadcasters was sometime in March, 1986. This is from info off of Greg Gagliano's web site. This is also around the time the ASAT was first produced. There was obviously some overlap of the two models. The only publicly documented Broadcasters produced in May of 1986 are #'s 1-5 and 876. The publicly documented Broadcasters numbered 1-50 are below.

So there is no way to tell either way if 876 was the last one without further documentation than what is currently, publicly available. However, the publicly available information would tend to back that up. Heck, G&L probably has the parts to produce a Broadcaster today. There is no evidence as to where all of the 50 neck plates ended up or if they were even all used, but the screen shot above shows some of them with no date information so who knows when they were produced.

Isn't this fun?

Tom