Skyhawk

Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:57 am

Hello there,
I just recently found a really cool 80's Skyhawk. It is all black with the ebony board. Based on the serial # list it appears to be a 1985. One thing that surprises me though is that it has neither the 12" or 7.(?)" radius I would have expected, but rather a 9". I was hoping for that smaller 7 as that is what I am used to, and assume that I can adjust to a 9 or so radius. I plan to play a bunch and find out quickly if it is a good fit, but when I decide I will register if I keep it.
Thanks for any info!

Re: Skyhawk

Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:59 am

Just to clarify I meant to ask if there was a known Skyhawk with a 9" or 9.5" radius. Thanks!

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:11 am

shepherd wrote:Hello there,
I just recently found a really cool 80's Skyhawk. It is all black with the ebony board. Based on the serial # list it appears to be a 1985. One thing that surprises me though is that it has neither the 12" or 7.(?)" radius I would have expected, but rather a 9". I was hoping for that smaller 7 as that is what I am used to, and assume that I can adjust to a 9 or so radius. I plan to play a bunch and find out quickly if it is a good fit, but when I decide I will register if I keep it.
Thanks for any info!

shepherd wrote:Just to clarify I meant to ask if there was a known Skyhawk with a 9" or 9.5" radius. Thanks!

Only 12" and 7.5" radius was available from the factory at that time. If the radius is 9" it was likely done by a previous owner.
See: What are the USA neck size options, past and present?

Regardless whether you keep it or not, please do add it to our G&L Registry.
Also, please post a photo or two, as it does not exist without photos. ;)

:ugeek:

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:37 am

Thanks Craig, I will add it. And photos when I get a chance.
And I had read those same neck specs, which is why I was so surprised. The funny thing is the fretboard looks almost completely untouched. Basically brand new. I brought it in to a local well-respected luthier, and he measured it while taking a look. I would imagine he would notice if someone had done any major work, but maybe not. Sort of a mystery.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:41 am

Registered.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:26 pm

shepherd wrote:Thanks Craig, I will add it. And photos when I get a chance.
And I had read those same neck specs, which is why I was so surprised. The funny thing is the fretboard looks almost completely untouched. Basically brand new. I brought it in to a local well-respected luthier, and he measured it while taking a look. I would imagine he would notice if someone had done any major work, but maybe not. Sort of a mystery.

The original frets from the factory would be the low wide type. If not, then a previous owner had them replaced and possibly had the fretboard changed to a 9+" radius at the same time.

:ugeek:

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:39 pm

Craig wrote:The original frets from the factory would be the low wide type. If not, then a previous owner had them replaced and possibly had the fretboard changed to a 9+" radius at the same time.

A mid-1980s Skyhawk would have had a veneer fretboard, so it would not be possible to change the radius without completely replacing the fretboard.

Ken

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:30 pm

I think there may be some discrepancy or difference when it comes to how the fingerboard radius is measured. I had my luthier/tech who's been in the Biz for over 30 years and is quite widely known measure the radius on Char my '90 ASAT Sig that in my Avatar and he too came up with 9" instead of the 7.5. The neck of Char is stock and has the original frets so there has been no modifications.

Cheers,
KF

Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:59 am

As an added note for those of us that have a set of StewMac radius gauges (either under-string or squarish, notched or not): it does not have a 7½" radius gauge but rather a 7¼" gauge. The next one up is 9½" radius. And as this Dan Erlewine Trade Secrets vid shows, it possible to have slightly different board radii vs fret radii, and a way for the latter to make to be consistent along the board.

- Jos
Last edited by Craig on Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: converted to new ytv BBCode

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:36 pm

Thanks for the additional info!
I had another person look today who knows their guitars, and he saw no sign that the fret board had ever been changed in any way. He did not say it hadn't, but only that there are signs sometimes.
Any recommendations for an affordable radius gauge?

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:40 am

Here are a few shots of this Skyhawk.