Nighthawk Question

Wed May 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Were Nighthawks manufactured after the agreement to stop in what I think was DEC 1983? Is there any such thing as a 1984 or 1985 Nighthawk. I only see registered examples in the 1983 year.

Tom
Last edited by Craig on Wed May 04, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited Subject for clarity

Re: Nighthawk Question

Wed May 04, 2016 1:59 pm

FZTNT wrote:Were Nighthawks manufactured after the agreement to stop in what I think was DEC 1983? Is there any such thing as a 1984 or 1985 Nighthawk. I only see registered examples in the 1983 year.

Tom

According to Greg Gagliano's G&L web page on the Nighthawk;

In late 1983, a Washington D.C. based band called “Nighthawk” threatened G&L with a law suit over the use of the Nighthawk name. Rather than contest the rather dubious claim, Leo and company simply renamed the guitar as Skyhawk. The last Nighthawks were made in December 1983 with a production total of 269 guitars made before the name change.

Also, in our Rarebird's Nighthawk page:

Dale Hyatt searched the logbooks several years ago and is responsible for the 269-guitar figure; while he was at it he also compiled the following report of Nighthawk finishes which he gave to Paul Bechtoldt:
113 Black
38 White
87 Burst
23 Natural
2 Gold
2 Clear Red
2 Clear Blue
2 Clear Green

So, I would say that the answer is "no".

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed May 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Tom,

I agree with Craig. Think it is unlikely to find an 1984 Nighthawk when it comes down to date stamps in pocket and on heel. However, frequently sellers base the year of an instrument on when it was purchased. Since the cease and desist was late 1983, it is likely some Nighthawks were sold in 1984. If some guitar remained in a store for a long, long time, one or two might even have been sold in 1985.

This all only adds to the confusion. To get a clear answer, only 2 options are open: check the date stamps and/or find the date associated with the S/N in Dale Hyatt's sales log.

- Jos

Wed May 04, 2016 6:28 pm

I have perused all the suggested links prior to posting the question, however, two things seem contrary to the obvious. The serial number is one that would suggest a 1985 series. The Guitar Blue Book shows pricing for both 1983 as well as 1984-1985 Nighthawks. I agree that, and have seen notes in the registry, some guitars stood in shops for a couple years and sold for new in 1985 which might lead a seller to think that was the production year. After all, a salesman won't likely divulge that a guitar has been sitting around for years unsold. It could be a non original neck plate but I do see plenty Nighthawks within the same range. I hope to see the guitar in question in person soon so we'll see what it really is. My bet is that it's a regular 1983 Nighthawk, but that still does not explain the blue book pricing. Check out the book and see what you think.

Thanks for the input...stay tuned.

Tom

Thu May 05, 2016 7:11 am

FZTNT wrote:I have perused all the suggested links prior to posting the question, however, two things seem contrary to the obvious. The serial number is one that would suggest a 1985 series. The Guitar Blue Book shows pricing for both 1983 as well as 1984-1985 Nighthawks. I agree that, and have seen notes in the registry, some guitars stood in shops for a couple years and sold for new in 1985 which might lead a seller to think that was the production year. After all, a salesman won't likely divulge that a guitar has been sitting around for years unsold. It could be a non original neck plate but I do see plenty Nighthawks within the same range. I hope to see the guitar in question in person soon so we'll see what it really is. My bet is that it's a regular 1983 Nighthawk, but that still does not explain the blue book pricing. Check out the book and see what you think.

Thanks for the input...stay tuned.

Tom

Which edition of the Blue Book are you using? I have the 15th Edition and it says:

NIGHTHAWK
- offset double cutaway ash, maple, or mahogany body, 22 fret bolt-on maple neck, maple or ebony fingerboard with dot inlays, six-on-one-side tuners,
pickguard, three single coil MFD pickups, three knobs (v, two tone), five-way pickup switch, chrome/black hardware, 25.5 in. scale, mfg. 1983-84.

BTW, Larry, Gabe and Dale were involved in the updating and revision of the G&L Section of the 13th Edition (2011), see: Is there a good source for getting G&L instrument values?.
You might reach out to Larry and see if he can lookup the serial number of the Nighthawk in question.

Let us know what you find out.

:ugeek:

Thu May 05, 2016 9:40 am

Craig, OK, stupid me...when I clicked on the "view historic pricing" link it lists Skyhawk pricing for '84 and '85 and I missed that. I guess they didn't see the need to have a separate category for Skyhawks. It looks like the table below. Of course I removed the pricing for legal reasons. So now I m confidant that my seller does not know what year his guitar is. He's asking a reasonable price so all is well assuming I convince him to sell.

Year
NEW 98% MINT95% EXC+90% EXC80% VG+70% VG60% G

2010 Nighthawk (1983) N/A
2010 Skyhawk (1984-85) N/A
2009 Nighthawk (1983) N/A
2009 Skyhawk (1984-85)