Odd Neck Stamp

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Hi again,

Has anyone ever seen this type of stamp on G&L necks? Any idea what they refer to?

Re: Odd Neck Stamp

Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:51 pm

FZTNT wrote:Hi again,

Has anyone ever seen this type of stamp on G&L necks? Any idea what they refer to?

Assuming you are referring to the letters SR and the two others next to them, right?
I have not seen these type of markings stamped into any other G&L necks or bodies.
Perhaps they were done by a tech who had worked on the neck for an owner.

What model is this neck to?

:ugeek:

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Yes, that's what I refer to Craig. It's on a Superhawk. I too surmised that it is some sort of mark by a luthier or tech, maybe former owner for ID purpose.

Just wanted to know if these type marks have been seen before. You guys see way more of these things than I do.

Tom

Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:25 pm

As a follow up to this thread, I was looking for info about body wood used on '80s Invaders and came across this post.

viewtopic.php?f=122&t=9324&hilit=invader+wood

It's from Nov 2013 discussing the refinishing of a Superhawk. He posted a picture of the neck and right there is the mysterious S.R. punched into the wood.

Craig had mentioned that he had never seen this before and I don't recall anyone coming up with a definitive answer but there it is again. I believe that my origonal post was regarding a guitar that was sent back for warranty repair but I could be wrong.

Anybody seen this before and know what it means?

Tom

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:57 pm

I've been through about 30 Leo-era G&Ls, and have never seen a stamp like that. One thing I noticed from your photos is that it's a very early Superhawk. I didn't realize production had started that early.

I'm assuming the SR stamp is a previous owner's initials. I guess it could be a tech's mark too, but if somebody did that to one of mine without asking permission first the resulting scene would not be pretty...

Leo-era G&Ls can have some assorted ink stamps, especially numbers to identify the builder. Throughout the '90s it was increasingly common to see the instrument's specs written with a marker in the neck pocket. The only other marking I've come across were the finisher's initials on early metal flake finishes, when the bodies were sent to a contractor for the finish.

Ken

Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:45 pm

It has also been reported that it might mean Standard Radius referring to the neck. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Tom

Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:32 pm

FZTNT wrote:It has also been reported that it might mean Standard Radius referring to the neck. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Tom

That doesn't sound right to me. The first G&L guitar models (F-100 and G-200) were designated "Series I" or "Series II" on the headstock decal to describe the fretboard radius. That was dropped sometime in 1982, as far as I've seen. They might have lasted a bit longer on F-100s, but they were not used on S-500s, which came out around the middle of '82. The SC models, which first appeared in October '82, had no options other than the finish color but they didn't have that SR stamp - at least none of the five SC model guitars or two SB model basses I've personally checked have had it.

It wouldn't be a reference to the back of the neck either, as they were hand-shaped and different examples of the same neck profile can feel quite a bit different.

Ken

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:10 am

Ken, just a suggestion that was made by a long time member in a PM to me when I posted the first time. It is interesting that this stamp has only been seen on a 1984 Superhawk so far.

So...Calling all early Superhawk owners, break that thing open and see what stamps are on the neck and post here.

Thanks,

Tom

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:47 am

FZTNT wrote:Hi again,Has anyone ever seen this type of stamp on G&L necks? Any idea what they refer to?

S.R. = Steve Reed ,maybe?

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:40 pm

What was Steve's gig at G&L?

Tom

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:40 am

FZTNT wrote:What was Steve's gig at G&L?

Tom

A quick Search here (keywords = "Steve Reed") will get you the answer:

See these posts:
viewtopic.php?p=57975#p57975
viewtopic.php?p=74647#p74647
viewtopic.php?p=27273#p27273

Hope this helps.

Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:16 pm

Craig wrote:
FZTNT wrote:What was Steve's gig at G&L?

Tom

A quick Search here (keywords = "Steve Reed") will get you the answer:

See these posts:
viewtopic.php?p=57975#p57975
viewtopic.php?p=74647#p74647
viewtopic.php?p=27273#p27273

Hope this helps.

Interesting reading but still leaves unexplained why he would stamp his initials into the necks of Superhawks.

Keep 'em coming...

Tom