Is my 1990 SC-3 case original equipment?

Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:15 pm

In Craig's post on his LF Commemorative the discussion veered into some questions about the case his guitar came in:

viewtopic.php?f=118&t=13300

I noticed that there are some similarities between the case my 1990 SC-3 came in and his. Mine is not as fancy and kind of beat up. Noticeable differences are the rounded corners on mine, and the simpler stitching only around the lid. I got my SC-3 used from someone who said he bought it from the original owner in Canada. And since the case does not look like a 'normal' G&L case, and it has a tab that says "Case made in Canada" I just assumed that it was not original. But the similarities to the LF Commemorative makes me wonder about its source so Craig suggested I post pictures here to see if anyone knows more about this case. Could this be a G&L original case? :

Re: Is my 1990 SC-3 case original equipment?

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:28 pm

Kit,

I cannot see the pics in the post, but when clicking on the little icons and opening them up in a separate tab I see them. Let me try to fix it and let me know if any of you does NOT see them in this post. EDIT: I didn't see the pics in my post either when using a different computers, so to save space I deleted the pics included in my post. Click on the missing image icons in the original mail and you'll be able to see them. Think it has to do with the "https" in the picture URL or some token that expires.

The case with the rounded corners does not look OME to me. I have not seen them on any other G&L. The entry level instruments (SC-1, SC-2, SC-3), especially the early ones, had different and less expensive cases (see gallery) but these still has "square" corners.

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:53 pm

Kit,
your case looks like some I've seen for Ibanez-

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:54 pm

Thanks, Jos.

It matters little to me whether my case is OME or not. It absolutely matters that my SC-3 is a great guitar. The fact that both my case and Craig's have similar "Case made in Canada" tab makes me think that they likely came from the same manufacturer in Canada. One being supplied to G&L, and mine bought by the original owner of my guitar.