Re: Is that an F-100?

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:41 am

Yes, that is an F-100.

Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:10 am

We need more F-100s! :banana:

Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:24 am

Here is my F-100 collection: 1980 Candy Apple Red Metallic, 30th Anniversary, and 1983 in Clear Blue.

Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:15 am

^^^^^^ Beautiful !! ^^^^^^

..... which one is your favorite ??

Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:27 am

Challanger, how does the reissue compare to the originals? I haven't had a chance to try either, but I would say the simpler electronics are appealing to me in the reissue...

BTW, your trip is beautiful!

Dan

Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:05 am

Sweet as Brock - Cheers!
Nice expressive playing and the bass player is off the hook…

Nice collection Challenger - esp the Real ones ;)

KF

Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:58 pm

Great video and beautiful F-100 collection.

y2kc

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:15 pm

WitSok wrote:Challanger, how does the reissue compare to the originals? I haven't had a chance to try either, but I would say the simpler electronics are appealing to me in the reissue...

BTW, your trip is beautiful!

Dan

What he asked...Love the blue one!

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:55 pm

Here are some of my thoughts on the sounds of my F-100's:

The red one is a 1980 hardtail with a maple body. The single coil setting on it is more bassy sounding. The humbucker setting is bright yet powerful. It really shines in the hum bucking bridge position. It can be quite ear piercing at high volumes in the hum bucking bridge position (but in a pleasant sort of way). When you select the bridge pickup, the treble control is by passed to keep lead playing brighter.

The blue one is from around 1983. It has the bi-cut neck with swamp ash body. The single coil setting is not quite as bassy as the red one, but still noticeably fuller with some extra bass. The hum bucking setting on it is brighter, but not quite as powerful as the red one. The blue one sounds slightly more compressed between the different settings than the red one. Perhaps they refined the pickups as the years went on? These pickups also have the Allen wrench adjustments on the poles instead of the straight blade screws. This one does not bypass the treble tone control when selecting the bridge pickup. Not sure if G&L made this change on later models or if a previous owner made some modifications. The tone controls act like the standard PTB controls all the time regardless of the pickup selection.

Then, we have the 30th anniversary pearl colored one. It has a mahogany body with an ebony fret board. This has been stated as the preferred wood choice on the earlier ones by some people. Oddly enough, I don't have a vintage F-100 in mahogany. In the single coil setting it definitely sounds brighter and a little clearer than the vintage models. Not as bright as my SC-3 or Legacy, but has a respectable single coil sound. The humbucking setting is darker, warmer and grittier than the vintage ones. Some of this may have to do with the wood and some may be the winding on the newer one.

The 30th anniversary F-100 sounded somewhat similar to my Les Paul in the humbucking bridge position. Perhaps a little more powerful and raw sounding than the Les Paul. With the volume on the guitar all the way up, you get some natural breaking up in the chords. But, by rolling the volume back a little on the guitar, I was able to clean up the chords giving them a warm, dark, smooth cleaner sound. I think the contemporary F-100 takes effect pedals better. Perhaps due to the simpler electronics.

So, the final verdict is the new F-100 is a great sounding guitar. But, I don't think it can totally replace a vintage one. The new F-100 only comes with the 12" radius neck. Both of my F-100's are the 7.5" radius neck (series II). So, they do feel different playing them. The vintage ones have more knobs and switches to dial in different sounds, while the contemporary one only has the one tone knob. The contemporary F-100 really needs the PTB system. One tone control doesn't cut it. Especially when the guitar is dark sounding already. Why would I need to cut more of the highs by turning down the tone control? I leave it up all the time and never touch it.

So, there you have it. My favorite of the three would have to be the blue one. I think it has a more balanced sound than the 1980 and brighter sounding than the 30th anniversary. The blue one also sounds somewhat similar to my Cavalier, which is from the same time era.

Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:10 pm

WitSok wrote:BTW, your trip is beautiful!

Nice typo Dan :clap:

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:01 am

Recently added another F-100 to my collection. Clear Forest Green Series I.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:47 pm

That is a great looking series l. Where did you find it?

Y2kc

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:14 pm

Saw the Clear Forest Green F-100 on EBay. Right about the same time I had just purchased a minty all black Cavalier with gold hardware. Timing wasn't right, so I didn't bid on it. Neither did anybody else. It was still in my watch list way after the auction ended and the seller never relisted. I contacted the seller and asked if it was still available. It was. I had a few more questions and he sent some more pictures and we negotiated a price that was less than the original listing.

It sounds great. Much like my clear blue one, only not quite as bright. The Clear Forest Green has the bi-cut neck with Schaller tuners that have the G&L logo on them. It also as the treble control active in the lead position (unlike the 1980). it is also very light for a swamp ash body.

Fri May 06, 2016 6:19 am

Brock wrote:Certainly could be an F-100.
[youtube]_FJyaRWCzxE[/youtube]

Someone PLEASE tell me the name of the band in the video. The lady playing guitar is awesome. Hot slide playing. Hot sounding F100! Be nice to know what the guitar is running through. I can see a Marshall cabinet but can't tell what amplifier is being used.

Fri May 06, 2016 6:20 pm

I opened the video in a new window and found out it is Joanna Connor.

Sat May 07, 2016 3:11 am

Challenger wrote:I opened the video in a new window and found out it is Joanna Connor.

Thanks.