Cav Interceptor on ebay (sold)

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Did anyone see this bird? :shock:

Did anyone here have their finger on the trigger?

sold interceptor ebay link

Re: Cav Interceptor on ebay (sold)

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:50 pm

that didn't take long ..... a guy in cali has a few from FB but this was florida guitar ..... wonder if the Flame was for NAMM ??

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:42 pm

Ooh Oooh Oooh!!

Do you see the undocumented (as far as I know ) innovation ??!!

I wonder what the Log book says( G011903 ). I bet your right about being to show at NAMM, it's an early one.
(...and let's hope the new owner knows about intonation adjustments :searching: )

Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:39 pm

Wow - Trippy.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:17 pm

What a great score!

Related, here's the interceptor score I made last week. Wasn't expecting to grab this guy for this price. Maybe no one else like's the color scheme like I do?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-G-L-Interceptor-/272176716488?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=YOd5vasdEv3LeLVYIkfjun%252BGnSM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:26 pm

Wow...also trippy!
I really like that scheme, and that final price...you scored!

I see it was in the advertising category,not the musical instrument category...that's how I missed it,
I'm gonna have to change my G&L search parameters .I think that's one reason it only had 2 bids.
It seems it belonged at home with you,well done. :happy0065:

More pics please when you get a chance .
Last edited by Elwood on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:26 pm

verybestal HOLY COW!!!! how did that sneak through at that price? :shocked028:

Glad to see it in your hands and in the GLDP family.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:31 am

B,

The yellow and gold is a rare combo. Nice find. Dibs.

y2kc

Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:01 pm

y2kc,

Seems like I remember you having one very much like this one. Kidding - I'll never forget when I saw I missed out when yours was for sale.
This one's a beater and hopefully* a player.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:22 pm

Elwood wrote:I wonder what the Log book says( G011903 ). I bet your right about being to show at NAMM, it's an early one.
(...and let's hope the new owner knows about intonation adjustments :searching: )

I do know something about intonation Elwood, I do... Better make sure to unlock the strings before moving anything. So no worries there ...

I'll have to find out what's up with the Grover tuners though.

- Jos

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:35 pm

Aahh...sweet!

Did you catch the string locking saddles?
I'm glad we can examine and document the feature. I've only seen them on one other G&L bridge *,
but the ones on the interceptor look even more prototypical.
I've seen the feature on Phantom guitars ...started by the Quarterflash guitarist in 1992...who was a G&L endorsee in the early 80's.

*edit: Maybe these saddles on my S500 are aftermarket Phantoms.I had assumed they came from G&L on G011752 with the gold bridge,springs,posts, whammy,tuners...but maybe not :think: . It's cool to maybe see evidence of the idea in its infancy.

From WDmusic:

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:07 am

The sickle headstock really works with that body shape on your yellow/gold Interceptor. Beautiful!

y2kc

Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:17 pm

When was the last time you saw an Interceptor on stage?
(warning: 80's content)

It's amazing that anything with a chorus on could cut through all that 80's fog...
but a maple body and some cavalier pickups will do the trick.

notable timestamps- 1:17 , 2:48 , 2:59 , 4:30 , 4:38

[youtube]BaSHtnLvdks[/youtube]

Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:02 pm

Crikey - Elwood where d'ya dig this stuff up??? Wow, think this is another first…. Nice song & band but I can't get pass that sax…. Glenn Frey (RIP) You belong to the CIty just keeps popping in my head... Also looks like the love child of Mike Reno of Loverboy & Nigel Tufnel on lead guitar (Roland Synth guitar tho - Cool!)
Ms. Ross seems to have the same hairdresser as John Waite….
[youtube]_MC4QCidHrs[/youtube]

Cheers,
KF

Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:28 pm

Elwood wrote: I've seen the feature on Phantom guitars ...started by the Quarterflash guitarist in 1992...who was a G&L endorsee in the early 80's.

I remember Quarterflash. Actually I knew the band when they were named "Seafood Mama" in Portland and have seen them a handful of times when they were just another local Portland band. Never noticed that the guitarist played G&L though; that was during the period when I had quit playing guitar.

Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:39 pm

Elwood wrote:Did anyone see this bird? :shock:

Did anyone here have their finger on the trigger?

sold interceptor ebay link

someone should be starting a NGD thread soon .... I won't mention any names ... like Jos or somebody like Jos :silent: ....lol ... whoops

Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:58 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:someone should be starting a NGD thread soon .... I won't mention any names ... like Jos or somebody like Jos :silent: ....lol ... whoops

Who's this mythical "Jos" thou speaketh of? Maybe this NW yeti is tiptoeing through the tulips (Thanks Tiny Tim!) in Skagit valley ....

- the one who shall not be named

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:26 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote: Maybe this NW yeti is tiptoeing through the tulips (Thanks Tiny Tim!) in Skagit valley ....

They don't exist without pictures ;)

I hear they are superb this year.

Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:55 pm

Elwood wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote: Maybe this NW yeti is tiptoeing through the tulips (Thanks Tiny Tim!) in Skagit valley ....

They don't exist without pictures ;)

I hear they are superb this year.

http://www.tulipfestival.org

Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:09 pm

Quick update: I was supposed to receive the guitar yesterday, but after it was placed in the delivery truck I got the following message:
"Shipper requested shipment to be returned - Unable to deliver shipment - Returning to shipper"

I have never seen such a message before. Allegedly, the guitar got damaged in transportation. I am awaiting its return to the sender and receiving pictures demonstrating such damage so I can make a judgement for myself of what happened to my guitar. It all feels a little weird to me. Last time I got a damaged guitar, I actually got the damaged guitar and me as a buyer had to put the wheels in motion to get it resolved.

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:12 pm

OUCH! Sorry to hear the news.

Hopefully damage is more to shipping box than actual guitar.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:55 pm

sam wrote:OUCH! Sorry to hear the news.

Hopefully damage is more to shipping box than actual guitar.

Hope so too, Sam! I'll see when I get the pics.

- Jos

Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:24 am

Wow Man, that's not right. I hope it's not some kind of sellers remorse. There is another red Intercepter on Reverb for probably twice what you paid for this one and another weird green one for almost $6K.

I wish you luck on this one and am sending positive vibes your way. Keep us posted.

Tom

Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:36 am

FZTNT wrote:Wow Man, that's not right. I hope it's not some kind of sellers remorse. There is another red Intercepter on Reverb for probably twice what you paid for this one and another weird green one for almost $6K.

I wish you luck on this one and am sending positive vibes your way. Keep us posted.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I've seen these 2 Interceptors on Reverb, a 1st X-body Interceptor III and a 2nd X-body Interceptor with Schaller pups. In all honesty, their prices are more in one with what I expect. As far as the seller's remorse goes, that is a bit my worry too. Maybe a higher bid from elsewhere? It would be a flagrant infraction as a far as the eBay rules and regulations go, but you'll never know. I'll have to trust the seller for now but I am prepared in case it's not on the up-and-up.

- Jos

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:03 am

Hey Jos,
Hope this gets sorted soon as.
Best wishes for a successful outcome.

Cheers,
KF

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:22 am

Katefan wrote:Hey Jos,
Hope this gets sorted soon as.
Best wishes for a successful outcome.

+1

Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:46 pm

that sux .... any word yet ??

Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:59 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:that sux .... any word yet ??

No. And the frustrating part is, it is not under my control. Somebody else, either shipper or FedEx, decided to have the shipment returned to the shipper and then the seller canceled the sell on eBay. So I have my money back, which is fine, but it was still my guitar, as in paid and shipped, when these decisions were made.

I'll let you folks know when new info becomes available.

- Jos

Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:38 pm

That's Dodgy as… Not Cool at all.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Bummer. Hope it works out. One time I bought a nice Epiphone on Ebay once for a very good price, much less than it was worth. Day after I won the auction I got a notice from the seller cancelling the sale. Said his cat knocked it off the stand the night before and it didn't play right anymore. No joke...

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:14 pm

Yeah, I smell a rat unfortunately. Always worried about this happening to me when I win an auction for a low price. I always imagined what I could do about it. It for sure breaks all the rules but realistically I am not sure what recourse a person might have especially if you get your money back. You can't force someone to sell it if they change their mind. Possibly destroy their Ebay status but you can always start another one if you know what you're doing.

Bad luck Jos but I do hope something positive comes out fit in some way.

Tom

Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:41 am

FZTNT wrote:Yeah, I smell a rat unfortunately. Always worried about this happening to me when I win an auction for a low price. I always imagined what I could do about it. It for sure breaks all the rules but realistically I am not sure what recourse a person might have especially if you get your money back. You can't force someone to sell it if they change their mind. Possibly destroy their Ebay status but you can always start another one if you know what you're doing.

Bad luck Jos but I do hope something positive comes out fit in some way.

Tom

Tom,

This is what I did. I contacted FedEx and asked them who initiated the item to be returned to the shipper: FedEx (because the package was damaged) or the shipper. This was their response this morning:
"Dear Mr. Van Schagen:

We received your email. We regret any inconvenience caused by this situation.

According to our records, the shipper requested for this shipment to be returned to them. Please contact the sender for delivery arrangements.

Thank you for your patience in this matter, and for contacting FedEx.

Adrian C.
FedEx Customer Service"

I wrote the seller with this new information and am awaiting whether he wants to make it right. If not, then I have to go through some more paces with eBay and the seller for breach of Terms and Conditions, breach of contract, heck I might even go the "theft" way because, with the transaction paid and completed and not withstanding the refund, it technically wasn't his guitar anymore when he ask for the shipment to be returned.

Or do nothing beyond getting him shut down on eBay because it's not worth it. I still registered the guitar on this site and now all you folks know Interceptor II with S/N G011903 is "damaged goods".

Oh the fun!

- Jos

Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:38 am

Sadly, that's probably all that can be done. I doubt we will see it again. He probably was contacted and given a higher offer so you won't see it up for sale again. The dam thing is not damaged the seller is. You should be able to get detailed information from Ebay as to his identity. Tell them you want to press charges for theft if they won't give you info. I think the theft charges are a good idea because you are right. As soon as your money was accepted and the item was shipped it should become your property. I am certain that Ebay has been through this many times so they can guide you. Hopefully they don't just say "Too Bad". Post the guys user name and location from Ebay and Reverb (if it was on Reverb too) so we can all steer clear of him in the future.

I thought this was going to happen with the ASAT HB I got off Ebay. The guy went back on an offer I made then had problems with the shipping costs and the transaction lagged and lagged until I came very close to canceling my payment but he eventually came through. Very painful but I can't imagine what you are going through on this one.

Let us know how Ebay deals with this and even Fedex, as they must also have some culpability here, so that at the very least we can learn how the system works in a case like this.

Stay strong and don't let this ahole win if possible.

Tom

Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:32 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:Bummer. Hope it works out. One time I bought a nice Epiphone on Ebay once for a very good price, much less than it was worth. Day after I won the auction I got a notice from the seller cancelling the sale. Said his cat knocked it off the stand the night before and it didn't play right anymore. No joke...

Last update: The guitar is back with the seller. He offered me the guitar for 3 times the price and mailed me the next day, it was on its way to Minnesota for the great sum of $8,100. Several false claims have been made in the past, so do not lend too much credence to these statements.

But now for the important part:
As Tooslowhand indicates, eBay does not give the buyer any recourse in a case like this, effectively allowing seller's remorse, as long as the sale is canceled resulting in funds being returned. With the money refunded, there is nothing PayPal can do, with the auction cancelled there is nothing you can refer to in eBay if you go to their Resolution Center. After asking around, in their ecosystem ownership is only transferred when the item is received, not when it is paid in full. This may sound counterintuitive, but that's what it is It certainly affects my willingness to buy on eBay, because seller's who don't deliver are not a thing I want to deal with again.

- Jos

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:32 pm

Wow, the guy actually had the audacity to offer the guitar back to you after he reneg'd on the deal.
Unreal.

Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:53 pm

what a P-O-S ...... I bet karma finds him quickly

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:20 pm

I would at least contact Ebay, send them the email you got from the seller and let them know what happened. Maybe they can make his Ebay life difficult for him.

Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:08 am

That's a shame Jos. You could have bought a Lacewood for that price!!

I assume that you can't even leave negative feedback on Ebay too, which also sucks. Why have feedback if this is the case where sellers are able to back out but buyers can't.

Crazy crap man...

Tom

Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:18 am

I've never bought a guitar over ebay, and now I'll be extra reluctant. It seems like the process is becoming quite biased in favor of the seller.

I saw an auction recently where the seller had posted very misleading information about a Leo-era G&L. I forget the specifics, but I remember that it seemed deliberate and intended to justify an unrealistic price. I used the "ask a question" feature to request clarification on the seller's statements. It never showed up in the listing. I found out afterward that sellers are now able to decide whether the questions appear on the auction page. That alone is enough to put me off ebay.

Ken

Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:03 am

ebay sounds like a good place to sell .... put a no reserve auction up and if it doesn't bring enough just cancel .... bunch of manure

Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:03 am

I have bought many guitars on eBay. The penultimate one claimed to have no problems but the pickups were clearly wired wrong. If you would connect the bridge to the control plate, the sound cuts out showing wires (or more specifically ground) got crossed. That got settled in a very agreeable way with the seller. For the last one, not so much as all y'all know. Same seller is listing a '88-'89 Blonde ASAT right now.

As with most things, it is only "2%" of the people abusing any system. It just sucks when you run into one of them. Doesn't necessarily mean the system is inherently bad. Although, eBay certainly has to (re)establish a certain symmetry between sellers and buyers. The former may pay the fees, but the latter provide the funds to do so!

- Jos

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:08 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Fumble fingers wrote:that sux .... any word yet ??

No. And the frustrating part is, it is not under my control. Somebody else, either shipper or FedEx, decided to have the shipment returned to the shipper and then the seller canceled the sell on eBay. So I have my money back, which is fine, but it was still my guitar, as in paid and shipped, when these decisions were made.

I'll let you folks know when new info becomes available.

- Jos

Hi Jos,
Sorry to bring up old wounds but I've just read this whole post with absolute disbelief .
I agree with you that decisions were made on behalf of you and without consultation with you when it was your guitar .
It's just wrong in so many ways .
Anyhoo, Hope you didn't hurt too much over the one that got away
Best
Anthony

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:58 pm

LeoFThe Champion wrote:Anyhoo, Hope you didn't hurt too much over the one that got away
Best
Anthony

Howdy Anthony,

When I posted into the eBay forum with the question when ownership of an item is transferred, the most common answer was when it is received by the buyer. I consulted with legal counsel here at my work, and in his words this is contrary to standing practice in traditional commerce where ownership is considered transferred when the buyer has paid the seller. He was pretty sure that concept would be transferable to eCommerce and you would have a case in (small claims) court. I still don't know whether it is worth my effort and time especially with a buyer that undoubtedly will hide in the gaping hole eBay has left in its policies.

But it is good to know,

- Jos
P.S. But if I ever notice him selling that guitar "again", ...

Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:47 pm

[quote=
I consulted with legal counsel here at my work, and in his words this is contrary to standing practice in traditional commerce where ownership is considered transferred when the buyer has paid the seller. He was pretty sure that concept would be transferable to eCommerce and you would have a case in (small claims) court. I still don't know whether it is worth my effort and time especially with a buyer that undoubtedly will hide in the gaping hole eBay has left in its policies.

But it is good to know,

- Jos
P.S. But if I ever notice him selling that guitar "again", ...[/quote]

I would think that you would win in Court. But sometimes you lose when you win .
Many great guitars around as you well know mate
I will give him a nuckle sandwich for you too if it's up for sale again

Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:03 pm

Hey Jos and Anthony
I agree 110% it sucks that the deal on the X-body went sour and it says a lot about the ethics and personal moral compass of both the seller who called it back off the truck and (I suspect) the unidentified alternative buyer who encouraged him to welch.

I’m curious though about the advice from your firm’s legal counsel Jos as it seems contrary to the Uniform Commercial Code that we operate within when purchasing goods from the US (which we do a lot).

Section 62A.2-401(2): Unless otherwise explicitly agreed title passes to the buyer at the time and place at which the seller completes his or her performance with reference to the physical delivery of the goods, despite any reservation of a security interest and even though a document of title is to be delivered at a different time or place; and in particular and despite any reservation of a security interest by the bill of lading:
(a) If the contract requires or authorizes the seller to send the goods to the buyer but does not require him or her to deliver them at destination, title passes to the buyer at the time and place of shipment; but
(b) If the contract requires delivery at destination, title passes on tender there.

For most online purchases the buyer nominates the place of delivery (usually their home or workplace) at the time of purchase and the seller engages the carrier and the transaction falls within the scope of sub clause (b). If on the other hand the buyer arranges shipping then the point of delivery and transfer of title would occur when the seller hands the goods to the carrier.

Cheers, Robbie

Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:09 am

Aussie wrote:
Section 62A.2-401(2): Unless otherwise explicitly agreed title passes to the buyer at the time and place at which the seller completes his or her performance with reference to the physical delivery of the goods, despite any reservation of a security interest and even though a document of title is to be delivered at a different time or place; and in particular and despite any reservation of a security interest by the bill of lading:
(a) If the contract requires or authorizes the seller to send the goods to the buyer but does not require him or her to deliver them at destination, title passes to the buyer at the time and place of shipment; but
(b) If the contract requires delivery at destination, title passes on tender there.

For most online purchases the buyer nominates the place of delivery (usually their home or workplace) at the time of purchase and the seller engages the carrier and the transaction falls within the scope of sub clause (b). If on the other hand the buyer arranges shipping then the point of delivery and transfer of title would occur when the seller hands the goods to the carrier.

Cheers, Robbie

Hey Robbie,

That is very interesting and very good info! Now I wonder whether it is really different here ... I'd have to ask him again.

- Jos

Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:50 pm

Seems to me that the descriptions are the same, that ownership transfers once payment is made. The second description adds the caveat that if the seller is responsible for physically delivering the item, rather than shipping, then ownership transfers when the seller physically delivers. However, I'm not a lawyer, so what do I know.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:49 pm

.... just to add (what I meant to include in my previous post) - even if title hadn't passed I would expect that an argument for breach of contract could be made in which case a Court would have the option to enforce specific performance (ie delivery of the goods) where that was possible or alternatively, financial compensation if specific performance was not possible.
Cheers, Robbie

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:27 pm

I have this happen to me several times where I have won something on ebay for a very low bid price only to have the buyer pull back after I paid. Although, I have never had anyone ship the product and then recall it after shipping.

That being said, I always view it as disappointing more than anything else. Ultimately, I leave the transaction with exactly what I had going into it so I really didn't lose anything.

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:55 am

Hi Jos,

Sorry to hear about this mate. What a tool that seller is.

I believe in Karma and am sure there are other great guitars waiting for you! I also believe a guitar finds its player, a bit hippyish i know but I've seen great looking guitars that play like <censored word> and <censored word> looking guitars that i love. Ive left home to buy one guitar and come home with a completely different one! I know Interceptor is special but who knows it maybe a blessing in disguise?

My rule for ebay is "only buy guitars i can pay cash and pick up". It limits what i buy, but i would rather let one go than go through the heart ache.

Also i agree with your thoughts, my understanding of contract law is that he puts it up for sale (offer), you pay and he puts it in the post/courier (acceptance) - offer and acceptance that guitar was in the real world yours!

i don't get the distorted reality that is cyber selling!

All the best with the next one mate.

Cheers

Arti