Early ASAT

Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:04 pm

Here's some pics of an ASAT I've had in storage for awhile… now getting put thru the paces. I'm digging it.
Early model with nicely aged nitro finish & an ebony fingerboard. All stock minus the graph tech nut and the frets which appear to be 6105 tall (perhaps stainless but can't really tell) The neck profile is on the thinner side with a slight V. Fairly lightweight and very resonant. Judging from the exposed wood grain I would say its maple and that would be period correct. Haven't pulled the neck but don't plan to as all appointments indicate an early model - most likely 1986.
I would be keen tho to get the S/N checked in the logbook - HLG??

S/N G019854

Enjoy -

Cheers,
KF

Re: Early ASAT

Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:36 pm

Yup!
:clap:
I was wondering what you had in the shadows,
...looking forward to see what saturday might bring .

Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:46 pm

Cheers E!

Yep, have a few others lurking around.
Cool - will post some pics in the near future...

Cheers!
KF

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:00 am

Serious mojo KF! -- Darwin

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:06 am

My Oh My! A. Certified. Beauty!! :happy0065:

Have fun KF!

- Jos

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:09 am

my kind of relic'd guitar !! sweet

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:45 am

Fumble fingers wrote:my kind of relic'd guitar !! sweet

Ditto! That guitar has great character built from use, not by some "craftsman" on a table.

Nice one KF! :thumbup:

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:14 am

I love it, but then again its like looking at my guitar. It never gets old.

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:25 pm

Cheers guys! First ASAT I've owned with a stock ebony board. May be the closest I come to owning a Broadcaster but one never knows!

Ha - glvourot - true. nice one you have there.
Btw, the '1986" ASAT in the CL listing you PSA'd looks to me to be an early 90's BBE transitional model. Never seem a burst like that on an early Leo-era model and there were heaps of that kind tho in the early mid 90's - which is also when BBE started putting 3 Ply white guards on them.
Just my .02.

Cheers,
KF

Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:20 pm

I wasn't sure about the burst either , but isn't the font for the neck decal only like that for the 86 models ? Maybe its a mongrel.

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:08 pm

KF, thanks for pulling that out of hiding. She just looks like she sounds great.
Rock on! :sign0011:

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:55 am

Once again you show us the coolest guitars.

Thanks,

y2kc

Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Cheers Sam and Casey. Yeah, she sounds FAB. Some folks say Leo's hearing was going and perhaps that was the case but I think he was well aware of what he was doing and creating.

glvourot - yes, true but once Leo passed Fender sent BBE a cease and desist letter which demanded that anything bearing Leo's name on it to be discontinued in (I believe) and specified timeframe. This resulted in a fire sale as well as many 'transitional' instruments being assembled using up old leftover necks and bodies.
This appears to be one of those.

Cheers,
KF