1st Style Fine Tuner Pat. Pend. Vibrato

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:26 am

Does anyone know where I might be able to pick up a 1st Style Dual Fulcrum Vibrato like the one below? I would like to replace this one with a shiny one.

Thanks,

Tom
Last edited by FZTNT on Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 1st Style Dual Fulcrum Vibrato

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:49 am

FZTNT wrote:Does anyone know where I might be able to pick up a 1st Style Dual Fulcrum Vibrato like the one below? I would like to replace this one with a shiny one.

Thanks,

Tom

Actually, that is a 1st Style Leo Fender Fine Tuner Vibrato. (aka Fine Tuner, pat pend in our Registry)

1987 Leo Fender Fine Tuner Vibrato Ad Slick:

See these posts for more info: Fine-Tune Bridge and Any info on the Leo Fender Fine Tuner Vibrato?.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:16 am

Thanks for the info Craig. have you ever seen one for sale recently? From a quick look at the posts you linked to this version seems to be a bit rare. This lessens my hope of finding one. Is it possible to re-chrome these things? Is it even worth it? It's just the one thing on this guitar that is not real nice looking.

Tom

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Here are some more pics of this guitar. Invader that was supposedly given to the guy I got it from many years ago. Listed in Dale's log book on 06/02/1987 according to someone else that has access to what's in the book. I believe it's Mike from Mike's guitars in St. louis. Not positive. He also has a nice Invader on Ebay now for $2500 which is a hell of a lot more than I got this one for. Is this YELLOW or Lemon Drop (vintage Yellow)?

She plays real nice, have not plugged her in as it just arrived and I want it to acclimate to my environment.

Tom

Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:53 pm

FZTNT wrote: It's just the one thing on this guitar that is not real nice looking.Tom

Have you tried flitz polish?

Re: 1st Style Fine Tuner Pat. Pend. Vibrato

Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:29 pm

If it is corroded, I suggest a product called Metal Rescue. Its a reusable, non-toxic fluid you would dip the part into. You can get it from Amazon, but I suggest you check out their website first to see if there are any issues using it on chromed parts. I filled my motorcycle fuel tank with it and it eliminated the surface rust in the tank overnight. I believe it comes in small quantities as well.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:43 pm

Just arrived?! DANGIT, are you the guy that just purchased that one off eBay from some dude down south!? I saw it just last week, and I waited 2 days and went to go purchase it and it was gone! lol :mrgreen:

If it was you, congrats. I love mine, wanted to purchase a 2nd one, saw it on eBay and it was a great price.

Good luck on the search for parts. Since March of last year I have been continually checking eBay and Reverb to see if those bridges ever pop up. Have not seen on in a year. My bridge looks fine, but I am worried about the longevity of the tension spring for the fine tuning plate. Wanted a spare for parts just in case.

The vibrato arm holders just screw out, so if you're looking to clean those up, I think you can just screw them off of any 80's DF vibrato (of course you will need 2 which is a pain). The fine tuners and saddles..... not sure there is any remedy other than re-plateing it. Or maybe "Metal Rescue"? Wear looks good to me on yours, unless you wanted a more museum style piece 8-)

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:11 pm

Copper Coyote wrote:Just arrived?! DANGIT, are you the guy that just purchased that one off eBay from some dude down south!? I saw it just last week, and I waited 2 days and went to go purchase it and it was gone! lol :mrgreen:

If it was you, congrats. I love mine, wanted to purchase a 2nd one, saw it on eBay and it was a great price.

Good luck on the search for parts. Since March of last year I have been continually checking eBay and Reverb to see if those bridges ever pop up. Have not seen on in a year. My bridge looks fine, but I am worried about the longevity of the tension spring for the fine tuning plate. Wanted a spare for parts just in case.

The vibrato arm holders just screw out, so if you're looking to clean those up, I think you can just screw them off of any 80's DF vibrato (of course you will need 2 which is a pain). The fine tuners and saddles..... not sure there is any remedy other than re-plateing it. Or maybe "Metal Rescue"? Wear looks good to me on yours, unless you wanted a more museum style piece 8-)

Sorry to beat you out Copper...I even took a while to pull the trigger and many negotiations to lower the price. There are a couple others on Ebay right now. One is in real nice condition but expensive. Mine is pretty mint other than the bridge. must have been in the humidity for a while. The neck and finish are almost perfect other than the removal of the nut locks but a little polish and replace them and it's all good. I bought it as a practice guitar, not just for playing but to practice taking the neck off and such. It's a fairly rare guitar but in the worst shape of the other 6 G&Ls I own so I won't be a afraid to play with it. Looking for more early eighties G&Ls next.

Tom