Questions about 3 bolt neck and micro tilt adjustment system

Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:21 pm

Does someone have pictures and know the size/s of the screws used for the 3 bolt neck plate? Is it the same basic design as what Fender uses where there are 2 screws and the bottom one is a bolt?
Are the micro tilt adjustment components the same idea that Fender uses? Does anyone have pictures of this? The body I have is missing the piece that should be mounted in the neck pocket.

I have a project guitar that I am getting a bit closer to starting, once I am there I will post on the project section with what I have.

Re: Questions about 3 bolt neck and micro tilt adjustment sy

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:46 pm

It uses three screws, the micro tilt is a separate adjustment with a hex key.

(thanks Jos for the image)

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:10 pm

Elwood wrote:(thanks Jos for the image)

No problem Elwood. Glad they serve a purpose for the intended audience ;-)

Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:28 am

May look like a Fender but it's not like Fender .... matter of fact G&L quit making the 3 bolt because Fender 3 bolts were so terrible and G&L didn't want people to think it was like Fenders ...... the micro tilt is such a great feature , I can adjust string height is seconds with one allen wrench , no shim's needed

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:38 am

It's the same exact concept and execution only the Fenders had a plate screwed into the base and the neck. Only problem with the Fender system was user error, it's about as sturdy a design as you'll come by in the guitar world. The complaints about CBS guitars centered around the neck pocket (which 9/10 users don't know how to set anyways) having gaps and people wrongly deduced that it was related to the 3 bolt feature. The irony is the modern Fender 3 bolt necks have a good reputation even though the neck pockets have mouse ears! But, keep in mind, none of the parts are interchangeable if that's what you're asking.

Leo's 3 bolt is less metal plate heavy but works equally as well and..yes, it's a fantastic feature to have more so because it allows you to put the saddles at the proper height for better applied pressure and break angle.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:37 pm

Thank you for the replies, I guess I will have to make a full pocket shim until I can find a replacement piece or have one machined.

Here are some pics of the body and neck pocket, I bought a bunch of stuff off a guy back in the early 2000's and this body was in the lot as well as a Superhawk neck that has seen better days.....The headstock was cracked and it was repaired with screws.

What screws did G&L use for the 3 bolt necks? Any particular size or was the head shaped differently? The reason I ask is because I have some neck screws but the head does not fit as nice as I would like on the neck plate.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:11 pm

Elwood wrote:It uses three screws, the micro tilt is a separate adjustment with a hex key.

Does anyone, off the top of their head, know what size allen wrench is needed for that micro tilt adjustment screw?
Cheers

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:16 pm

art wrote:
Elwood wrote:It uses three screws, the micro tilt is a separate adjustment with a hex key.

Does anyone, off the top of their head, know what size allen wrench is needed for that micro tilt adjustment screw?
Cheers

See this post in the Knowledgebase: Can you tell me which allen wrenches I need for my G&L?.

:ugeek:

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:25 pm

Craig wrote:
art wrote:

Cheers

See this post in the Knowledgebase: Can you tell me which allen wrenches I need for my G&L?.

:ugeek:

Thanks Craig. I should quote http://www.letmegooglethatforyou.com for myself. :oops:

Ie: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+size+allen+wrench+do+I+need+for+my+G%26L+micro+tilt+screw

Thanks!

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:34 am

DKA-65 wrote:
What screws did G&L use for the 3 bolt necks? Any particular size or was the head shaped differently? The reason I ask is because I have some neck screws but the head does not fit as nice as I would like on the neck plate.

Here's a close up of the screw heads:

Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:13 pm

DKA-65 wrote:
Are the micro tilt adjustment components the same idea that Fender uses? Does anyone have pictures of this? The body I have is missing the piece that should be mounted in the neck pocket.

A few micro tilt discs just showed up on ebay:

ebay link

Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 pm

Question not answered on this post: What size are the 3-bolt neck screws? They are english, not metric. New screws have a head diameter of 8 MM. They don't fit the neck plate right. The old 3 bolt screws are a bit smaller in diameter.
I think it's a #6 1 3/4" oval head sheet metal screw. Can't find it nickel plated, just stainless. I think Callaham has the correct screws too.
5/22: Callaham says his screws are #8 with head diameter of .30"