S-300 ????

Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:55 pm

Was just perusing reverb.com for rare G&L guitars and came across this:

https://reverb.com/item/1257997-g-l-s-300-tobacco-burst-owned-by-dale-hyatt-uber-rare-leo-fender-creation

Just wondering if any of our more knowledgeable residents here can shed any light on this most unusual (and expensive!) guitar.

Thanks! - ed

Re: S-300 ????

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:34 pm

Oh yes we can! Here a couple of pictures in the Gallery of that very same guitar! Seems like somebody swapped out a pickguard. Dale definitely wrote a note in the log (see penultimate picture in Gallery) but that still makes it unclear he ever owned it for extensive periods of time. But the line of ownership is semi-properly represented in the blurb in that it belongs to fellow GbL member Thumbs (aka Wayne Richman) who I think provided the pics in the Gallery. He still has it registered which you can verify yourself if you go to the Registry and search for all registered S-300 Prototypes.

And JoeB didn't buy this unique Leo Fender creation? What's up with that? He buys $250k '59 Bursts left and right ;-)

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:54 pm

See these posts from 2011: S300 and S300 Pics.

Search is your friend. ;)

:ugeek:

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:55 pm

Just for fun, I asked the seller about the clear pickguard. That just looked SO un-Leo to me! - ed

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:58 pm

Craig wrote:See these posts from 2011: S300 and S300 Pics.

Craig - I did do a search, but maybe I used a hyphen or something. Anyhow, the great info you provided above didn't come up for whatever reason. But I sincerely do appreciate the links. Thank you! - ed

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:06 pm

zapcosongs wrote:
Craig wrote:See these posts from 2011: S300 and S300 Pics.

Craig - I did do a search, but maybe I used a hyphen or something. Anyhow, the great info you provided above didn't come up for whatever reason. But I sincerely do appreciate the links. Thank you! - ed

Ed- I used "S*300" as the search keyword.

I see that long time member, Thumbs is the current owner and the seller. :searching:
I guess he forgot about our Marketplace. :think: :silent:

Good luck, Wayne!

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:31 pm

OK, so what ever happened to the guitar from the 2011 post with the Leo decal on the headstock? See Craig's link for S300 Pics.

Hey, speaking of decals, my ASAT Classic Three from my profile pic to the left has the decal showing date etc on the outside of the finish. Is this the way they were produced?

Tom

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:09 pm

FZTNT wrote:OK, so what ever happened to the guitar from the 2011 post with the Leo decal on the headstock? See Craig's link for S300 Pics.

Hey, speaking of decals, my ASAT Classic Three from my profile pic to the left has the decal showing date etc on the outside of the finish. Is this the way they were produced?

Tom

Yes, and this was the first model (100 built) from G&L's Custom Creations.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:24 pm

Thanks Craig. That is what I figured but I have been reading a lot about altered decals and such around the forum and thought I would ask. It's a primo guitar and one that would be very difficult to fake just from the craftsmanship alone.I have never experienced a more buttery neck on a guitar. Not sure how they do it but I wish all my guitars had this feel. I am glad to have it and have instructed my eventual widow to sell it for a hell of a lot!!

Tom

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:49 am

zapcosongs wrote:Was just perusing reverb.com for rare G&L guitars and came across this:

https://reverb.com/item/1257997-g-l-s-300-tobacco-burst-owned-by-dale-hyatt-uber-rare-leo-fender-creation

Just wondering if any of our more knowledgeable residents here can shed any light on this most unusual (and expensive!) guitar.

Thanks! - ed

Hi Ed, I take it that the ad on Reverb for an SC-3 is your guitar? Small world I guess. I am still thinking bout it cause I want an early SC-2 or 3 some day. Either way good luck with the auction.

Tom

BTW, are you into Zappa? He is my guitar rock god hero of all time. Seen him over 70 times.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:43 pm

FZTNT wrote:
BTW, are you into Zappa? He is my guitar rock god hero of all time. Seen him over 70 times.

I was gonna ask you about your moniker...I bow to your concert stub collection :cheers:

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:55 pm

Yes, that's my SC-3 Rarebird on Reverb. I had it listed here a couple of years ago, but (surprisingly) drew no serious interest.

Regarding Zappa, though I like him a lot and own a few of his records (was that man prolific or what!?), my handle here has nothing to do with FZ, and he passed away before I had the opportunity to see him live. - ed

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:45 pm

My earliest musical memories are of my sisters playing Mothers of Invention albums. I couldn't understand why none of the other kids in kindergarten knew Concentration Moon.

It looks like we might be close to critical mass for a DC-area G&L jam. Any takers?

Ken

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:22 pm

As long as you understand that I am an aspiring songwriter and not at all a musician, I'm hup! ha! - ed

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:43 pm

FZTNT wrote:
zapcosongs wrote:Was just perusing reverb.com for rare G&L guitars and came across this:

was listening to "one size fits all" this afternoon at the office!
gotta love Inca Roads, pajama people, Evelyn - a modified dog, Andy...
only got to see Frank once, 1984, des moines. i think steve vai was with him on that tour.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:36 am

Geez, I wish I could even begin to play Zappa Riffs...Lived outside NYC in the 70's and used to stay in the city for every Zappa show at the Felt Forum, Town Hall, Palladium etc. back in the day. He played 2-3 shows a day and it was mesmerizing to just sit there and watch him play. Also saw Mahavishnu orchestra, Chick Corea Band, Al DiMeola, Stanly Clark and all the permutations of these bands. Larry Coryell Was a good friend so I was able to see some amazing talent playing with him also. I can't even begin to describe the talent that played around the NYC clubs and even in Westport, CT, Hartford, New Haven and all up and down the east coast beck then. Major influences but I still cannot begin to play as well a those guys. I was involved in photography and have many shots of Carlos, Pink Floyd from 2 world tours, Zappa of course and have sat down and talked with all these wonderful guitar players. I am a collector and player and love the history and craftsmanship of all the players and guitars.

Tom