New Old G&L Day....1984 SC-2

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:24 pm

(excuse the glare)

Found it in local shop and can't get enough of the guitar right now, likely to be the new #1 in town! The fella who put it on consignment wasn't a player either so there's not even a groove to be seen in the fretboard. I love having the micro-tilt, adjustable pole pieces and the saddle lock too...very tinker friendly. Neck is a medium contour with shallow fretwire just like the good old days! I was on the search for a T-Style guitar the SC-2 with the hardtail does it almost as well as the real thing.

Re: New Old G&L Day....1984 SC-2

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:06 pm

Sweet! Nice score. :thumbup:

Don't forget to register that beauty on our G&L Registry.

:ugeek:

Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:07 am

whoo hoo that's a real black beauty you got there
quite a looker, hope you play the heck out of it :D

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:26 am

wow! that's a nice find - gorgeous!

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:15 am

sweet !!

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:09 am

they took our,

does it get any better than that? That is a great find.

Y2kc

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:43 am

The "G" serial is stamped on the bridge it appears, there's no stamp on the neckplate (just a sticker with pat #'s), so I guess that means it's an 83'. But, the neck is stamped 84'. Hmm.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:04 pm

Beautiful! I dig these vintage SC-2s.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:47 pm

Yeah!! Good score! And the "best sounding color" to boot ;-)

That shape is what is called a 1st body style which G&L moved away from in early '84; my 2nd style SC-2 body has a date stamp of JAN 12 1984. They would still use up the already purchased bridges, both Lock-Tight (now called Saddle-Lock) and DFV with stamped S/N stamped, and any available bodies. This affected some early '84 instruments, my 1st style SC-2 with a neck date stamp of JAN 13 1984 and S/N on the DFV included. In both cases, the neck is about 11 months younger than the body.

- Jos

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:05 pm

Nice, congrats! I'd love to walk into some mom and pop music store and come across something like that! How often does that happen?

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:03 pm

Wow, I am very happy for you ! I really like my re-issue sc-2 but I would move it on quickly to get my hands on one like yours.

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:25 pm

So, I bought a second one, I think an 85' and will post pics when it arrives!!

I'll ask here as I dig through the knowledgebase too (and maybe in the NGD thread) but does anyone know the thread details for the saddle screw? Not the vertical adjustment but the horizontal intonation screw. I'd like to order one online before heading to home depot, or if anyone has a link to a replacement, thanks!

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:58 am

Killer find!! Looks real sweet and a fine player.

Congrats on both new guitars!

BTW, I have the same amp and love it!!

Tom

Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:37 pm

FZTNT wrote:Killer find!! Looks real sweet and a fine player.

Congrats on both new guitars!

BTW, I have the same amp and love it!!

Tom

Oh man, the 73' Pro Reverb is out of sight, mine's got the Utah speakers and what a beast it is. Every guitar sounds beautiful through it, it can get fat and punchy, or bright and crunchy + is my #1 favorite amp for going from style to style (jazz, country, rock, blues, etc) on the fly. Most amps I can at least push into a territory where they might sound less favorable but the Pro just hangs no matter what plus it really nails the character of the instrument over imposing the character the amp upon the instrument.