My Broadcaster

Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:41 pm

After experiencing my 82 S-500 I was on the lookout for an 80s Asat. This popped up on GC and I bought it quickly...even before asking the salesmen for their thoughts. It was setup really nice but the strings were older (snapped the high e while tuning it) and I wanted to check the pocket....while getting your thoughts and help on its legitimacy. She looks like the real deal. Once I put it back together w fresh strings, the action is way high and will be taking her to a luthier for a proper set up. I want him to check the truss rod as well. Do the frets look original? Thanks for your input....the little I was able to play it, it sure has more output that the 500. Tons of mojo too!

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/turboza ... t=2&page=1

Re: My Broadcaster

Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:42 pm

Look on left for album "Broadcaster"...thanks folks!

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi jztampa

Your truss rod nut is different than the one used in those days. This may be because the truss rod was replaced. So having the truss rod checked out would be a good thing. Here is what the nut looks like on my 2 Broadcasters:
ImageImage
You see that in both cases it has a long nut. Otherwise it looks great with countersunk output jack and all!

Congrats!

- Jos

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:32 pm

Nice score! I like that inspector signature!!

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:43 am

I do like those Broadcasters. Nice score.

y2kc

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Got a bit of bad news from the luthier. Apparently, the bullet head of the truss rod is jammed inside of the slot. Forgot to ask if it worked at all but, its in there to the point were you can't see it facing headstock. I'm not a tech, I hope I'm using correct terms here. Before I took it to him, I took a pic (It's in the album) w flash and it sure looks like the top of the bullet part inside. He didn't try to remove it and recommends I return it. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

After giving it some thought, I called another shop I've used a lot and has a fabulous reputation (way farther distance wise). I went w this other shop because of convenience. They told me to bring it by and have them look at it.....see if it can be repaired or replaced. They gave me a bit of hope she could be repaired. These guys are true craftsmen and repair all kinds of vintage guitars routinely. I have plenty of time to return it to GC so I'm thinking it be worth it to try. It won't get butchered and she sounds so good.....

Any thoughts from you guys familiar with these?

Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:45 pm

Jztampa,

I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I will chime in here, but what you said doesn't make sense to me. The truss rod is a rod that runs the whole length of the neck, so there is nothing to "jam" into anything else. It could be your truss rod is shorter than standard. The main questions are:

1. Is the neck straight?
2. Is the truss rod adjustable? (It looks in the picture like there is a hex nut for adjustment, but it is hard to tell.)

If those answers are YES, then you are in good shape, other than maybe not having a stock guitar, if there was a modification involved.

Good luck!

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:51 pm

I think you may be correct, it seems to be shorter than standard. Is the bullet tip removable and could be installed on another truss rod? The neck seems, to my eyes, to have a slight twist...very very slight toward nut end. I asked tech if t rod worked and he wrote back:
Tightened like it was, there was definitely some tension on the lower part of the neck. When loosened you could see the neck come forward a little. Seemed to have no effect on the upper neck.
On Monday I'll take it the other shop and get their input. Good thing I have 45 days to figure this out.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Luthiers recommended I return guitar...Bummer! Thank you all for your knowledge.

Bullet is in there but seems the truss rod is digging well into the neck and repairs would be lengthy. It sure has a presence though, great weight and feel...the hype is for real.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:53 pm

Returned it yesterday. Jumped on an 87 Special...my luthier has it...keeping my fingers crossed.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:14 pm

jztampa wrote:Returned it yesterday. Jumped on an 87 Special...my luthier has it...keeping my fingers crossed.

In 87 there was no ASAT Special yet, just ASAt. These are some spectacular guitars!

Hope you get it,

- Jos

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:22 pm

Thanks Jos. Meant to say earlier, I've learned a lot from your website......ggjaguar's too. The Broadcaster is back up on GC, not sure if they addressed anything. My new Asat was strung with really heavy flat wounds, nut didn't look too happy. My tech is pretty sharp and I have until Saturday to return it so we'll see.