When did the dual fulcrum bridge studs change?

Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:52 pm

I have a skyhawk that I need bridge studs for and cannot find any that fit correctly. Went to the G&L store and there were some for sale that were described as being "early" types......So I bought em, and they were wrong.

So....
How many times did G&L switch the studs for the dual fulcrum?
What year did they switch them?

Re: When did the dual fulcrum bridge studs change?

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Maybe Craig can nail down a date, that's a good question.

I searched a long time until I found an old set that would fit my '84 S-500.

You can remove the old thread inserts with a slide hammer and install new ones that
will fit the new bridge posts that can be found easily.

elwood

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:42 pm

DKA-65 wrote:I have a skyhawk that I need bridge studs for and cannot find any that fit correctly. Went to the G&L store and there were some for sale that were described as being "early" types......So I bought em, and they were wrong.

So....
How many times did G&L switch the studs for the dual fulcrum?
What year did they switch them?

Only once did they make a switch from standard to metric. See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: Are the new ASAT Special Bridges made in the USA?, note that it includes the DFV bridge too.
Some time in 2011 or 2012, the change was made to metric.

Now, regarding the DF bridge you bought from the G&L On-Line Store: it should have included a pair of old style bridge posts, along with the complete new metric parts.
Here is the note for the Dual-Fulcrum Vibrato bridge in the On-Line Store:
Note: Early G&L USA guitars with Dual Fulcrum have different thread pitch for the bridge posts. This kit comes with an extra pair of bridge posts with the early style thread pitch.

Did you get both sets of bridge posts with your order? If so, did you install the correct one?
If not, contact the On-Line Store and let them know what was missing from your order. The contact email address is webstore@bbesound.com.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

PS Don't forget to add your Skyhawk to our G&L Registry.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:13 am

Craig wrote:
Note: Early G&L USA guitars with Dual Fulcrum have different thread pitch for the bridge posts. This kit comes with an extra pair of bridge posts with the early style thread pitch.

That's good to know for restorations,thanks. It was tough trying to find old ones.
elwood

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:50 am

Craig wrote:
Now, regarding the DF bridge you bought from the G&L On-Line Store: it should have included a pair of old style bridge posts, along with the complete new metric parts.

Did you get both sets of bridge posts with your order? If so, did you install the correct one?
If not, contact the On-Line Store and let them know what was missing from your order. The contact email address is webstore@bbesound.com.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

PS Don't forget to add your Skyhawk to our G&L Registry.

Craig, that helps a lot....thank you.
And I should have made it more clear.....I bought the studs alone from the G&L site, the description said that they were the early type, but there is no way they will fit....the fit is way to tight.

I already have had a brand new bridge that I bought a few years ago but was lacking the studs, that is why I did not spend the money on the new bridge......and the description for the studs says "early", I figured "How can I go wrong, they have to work". Now I am thinking it might be easier to just get the new bridge and if I still am having trouble I can just install the new anchors.