1986 SC-3 Aftermarket/Vintage Guitar case

Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:09 am

Greetings all, hope this day finds you well. I've been doing some research into aftermarket cases for a 1986 SC-3 and or original, used vintage cases. I realize that the build spec for this era strat body style is slightly smaller than that of a modern Legacy/S-500. Does anyone out there have any great suggestions for aftermarket cases that would fit this body style snuggly, and does anyone know of any great sources for vintage guitar cases? Thanks in advance and be blessed - Adam

Re: 1986 SC-3 Aftermarket/Vintage Guitar case

Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:07 pm

Hi Adam,

I've gotten reasonably good fits for early SC-2s with SKB's universal case. I will check my '87 SC-3 in one this evening and let you know how it does.

My only advice for originals is to keep an eye out in the regular places (eBay, etc.).

Ken

Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks Ken, I regularly frequent Ebay, Reverb etc, so I will keep watch there and give a look at SKB's universal case. Looking forward to hear how yer '87 fits in it as well. Thanks again -Adam

Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:28 pm

My '87 SC-3 fits nicely in the SKB universal case. The cutout doesn't match the slimmed-down SC body perfectly, but I would be comfortable using it without any extra padding (not that there is much room to wedge padding in, anyway). The headstocks on older G&Ls tend to be a bit too long for Fender-sized cases, but the SC-3's just manages to fit this case.

Ken

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:46 am

Thanks for taking the time to check in to that for me, sir. I will definitely check into purchasing one of these as the SC-3 I purchased came with some semi-quasi run o the mill type burgundy colored case which is falling apart at the seams and I love to protect my kids :) Thanks again ken and have a blessed holiday season. -Adam

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:11 pm

Hey all, just an update for future reference for anyone looking to buy an aftermarket case for most Leo era G&Ls... I tried out the SKB universal up in Ft. Wayne where the water is so Sweet and found that it was about 3/4 of an inch too short to accommodate the longer headstocks/overall length of my 86 SC3. The measurements from the rear of the case to the neck pocket support were about 0.25 to 0.5 of an inch too short and didn't give me a whole lot of confidence in viable neck support. SKBs cases, or at least from what I've seen, also run their neck supports at an upward angle which was a personal concern as well for safe neck support.

To shorten a long story, I ended up discovering that Gator makes a hard plastic mold case that is modeled as Gator GC-ELEC-XL ABS case "Extra Long Baritone Case". This case provides for level sound and sturdy neck and neck pocket support and allows the body of the guitar to lie level in the case. The body width measurements for the case are are a little wide for the more narrow (about 5/8 in space from a snug fit... a sock works to make up the difference) body style of the 2nd model SC3. I also recently purchased another case identical to this one for my 82 S500 and suits it perfectly. The overall length of the interior of the case graciously accommodates for 1.75 in free and clear headroom from the end of the headstock to the interior. Hope this helps those homeless guitars out there. Thanks in advance and God bless you all!! -Adam