Thanksgiving Surprise (NGD)

Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:29 pm

Off and on, I'll search for an G&L's for sale locally for any stupid deal that is just to good to pass up. I had been looking for an early SC-2, SC-3, or Skyhawk just to try out. I happened to catch a listing for an SC-3 at a GC in Rockford. Since this was on the way back to my family for Thanksgiving, I convinced the wife to let me stop and check it out. I hadn't really planned on buying it, just really wanted to get a feel for these early hand made instruments. I expected to find a guitar with a lot of wear consistent with 30+ year old instrument. I was just shocked how good of condition it was in. It was obviously played, but not heavily. Frets, fingerboard, and neck finish in excellent shape. Just a small thumb print size checking and the back of the neck near the nut. A few light pick scratches and few dings. Sounded great. The only thing I noticed it seems the volume pot needs replacing. Kind goes from full to nothing in about 1/4 turn. I figure that's no big deal. It had been at the store for about a month so the price was reduced. So even though I wasn't planning on buying the guitar, it came home with me. At $699, I figured it was a good deal.

Serial number G016450. I've added it to the registry. Sorry the pictures aren't the greatest as I took them with my camera.

Made for a Happy Thanksgiving!

Cheers, Dan

Re: Thanksgiving Surprise (NGD)

Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:36 pm

Congrats Dan! :happy0065:

She is very clean for sure and the minor issues are just that, for a guitar of that age. Definately a thankful Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the great pics, keep us informed on how she sounds.

Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:51 pm

I think SC might stand for Sooooo Coooool !!

Good call on bringin' her home. :clap:

Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:53 pm

Woot!! What a fantastic score and how beautiful! (BTW, the pictures look great)

Hope you can fix the minor issues. Have fun playing her.

- Jos

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:50 am

Nice find ! Those old G&L's really get their claws in you . Leo era SC-2 is on the radar now.

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:40 am

That's an awesome find, Dan, congrats!

Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:02 pm

My dad had one of those 2nd gen SC-3s in sunburst, just like that, except I think his was a tremolo model. If I remember correctly, it was the first of several G&Ls that made their way through our house back in my junior high/high school days. Gotta love the maple bodies.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:58 am

Great find Dan! I would love to add that one to the fold. Good call - much better than turkey for not much scratch. And a saddlelock to boot. ;)

Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:54 pm

Thanks everyone. Definitely a cool little guitar. I dig the smaller body very comfortable to play. The MFD pickups great full / thick and powerful. Has some :fighting0030: ! Can really, shape the tone with controls from clean jazzy to overdrive. Good sound in all 5 positions and been especially enjoying the middle position.

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:37 pm

I dig it !! ... saddle lock to boot !! ..... you don't see to many burst in those years and models , nice surprise

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:37 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:I'm a huge fan of SC-3's. Sunburst hard tails are EXCEPTIONALLY RARE. I did some research a while back and as I recall the estimation was less than 24 hardtails and in Sunburst 5 or 6. I owned a hardtail once myself. They are great guitars. I've still own SC-3 and it is one guitar I'll always have in my G&L or Fender collection.
Regards,
Tim

Wow, I'm stoked. Didn't realize this was such a rare combination. :banana: