NGD: 1982 SC-2

Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:12 am

Actually, yesterday was the official new guitar day. The previous owner advertised the guitar here, so everyone has seen it before. I took her apart yesterday and gave her a bath and checked her out. The neck is dated Dec 21, 1982 and the body is dated Nov 9th, 1982 (at least that's what it looks like). Everything is functional, if not a bit worn, as you'd expect from a 30+ year old. The only issue, as far as I can tell, is a slightly wonky pickup selector: when in the neck position it cuts out a bit. I did order a new trem arm from ESI. Not sure what to do about the pickup selector. Does anyone know of a place that sells replacements?

The pickups sound great, the neck is full and round, the bridge is bright and spanky (if a bit shrill at some settings). I love the combination of the two pickups, which is unusual for my ears.

Here's a couple of the seller's original photos:

And a few of the photos I took:

My family is growing! :D

Cheers,
Andrew

Edit: Mis-typed the neck date (updated in the registry, too)
Last edited by art on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: NGD: 1982 SC-2

Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:44 am

Andrew,

That is a perfect player grade sc-2 in my book. Everything about it says that someone loved playing it. The sc-2 is a great guitar and that one has it all!

Enjoy,

Y2kc

Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:43 am

That is a great looking guitar , I have a Re-issue but someday I would like to get an original. Play it well , and enjoy ! Great buy .

Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:49 am

that is sweet , I had my eye on that one with a hand full of Rolaids ... sweet guitar

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:46 pm

Congratulations. It's nice to know that it found a good home.

Regarding the selector switch, try a shot (or two or three) of Deoxit. I haven't had to use it on an SC-2 or SC-3 yet, but both F-100s I've owned and my G-200 needed it desperately.

The bridge pup on these can be a bit shrill with the tone knob wide open, but that's just one end of their sonic spectrum. I rarely dime the tone on any G&L that starts with "SC". I would also suggest experimenting with dialing the volume knob back and turning the amp up to compensate. The SC models may only have two knobs, but they are very interactive.

Ken

Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:14 pm

Congrats art! A perfect rocking' machine you got there! Plug her in and let 'r rip.

- Jos

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:01 pm

Welcome! Glad to see someone on the forum get it. Nice guitar and the selector sw shouldn't be difficult to take care of. -- Darwin

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:51 pm

Congratulations Andrew! Sweet looking SC-2! So jealous. I really like those guitars. Enjoy! :thumbup:

Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:56 am

Thanks y'all, I'm enjoying this guitar quite a bit. Thanks, also, for the tips and pointers - I tried some contact cleaner on the pickup selector, and it's better, but not really fixed. No big deal, I'll keep messing with it.
Andrew

Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:48 pm

Killer. Gotta love that headstock!

Try bending the contact tabs on the switch inwards a bit, if that doesn't work it might be time for a new one. Check allparts, a regular 3 way switch (a la Telecaster) will work.